Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: SOMA (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-55.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-56.html)
+--- Thread: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? (/thread-24559.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - thomad16 - 07-08-2014

(07-07-2014, 07:46 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: I'll be quite happy if it's at the same level as Penumbra on my scariness scale.
Black plague perhaps but not overture. Overture lost all it's scarceness for me once I figured out how to kill the dogs.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - Ashtoreth - 07-08-2014

(07-08-2014, 03:13 AM)thomad16 Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 07:46 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: I'll be quite happy if it's at the same level as Penumbra on my scariness scale.

Black plague perhaps but not overture. Overture lost all it's scarceness for me once I figured out how to kill the dogs.

I do agree that Black Plague was scarier than Overture, but I avoided killing the dogs due to the extremely cumbersome [@Paddy: ha! :*] and frustrating combat system; the act of killing the dogs was an immersion breaker for me. So perhaps because I decided to use stealth instead of combat, I did feel scared enough while playing Overture.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - Elfing - 07-18-2014

I hope I won't see a lot of cheap jumpscares.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - Newsman Waterpaper - 07-18-2014

I'm probably the only person who found Overture still scary even after you can kill the dogs.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - Macgyverthehero - 07-18-2014

Personally; Overture was scary in it's own ways, but even after successfully murdering a dog I'd still not feel safe, because usually there is more of them than just one patrolling and attempting to attack them usually meant death.

That is what made those dogs scary, the feeling of insecurity. Even after killing one with a broom.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - thomad16 - 07-18-2014

Honestly the best part of black plague and something I want to see in SOMA was its dark humor.

I remember this one part while running through the maze you find yourself in a room with a computer that has diagnostics.exe on it. diagnostics.exe was one of the funnest parts of the game and it nicely contrasted the sheer terror of being chased.

Also Clarence added this kafkaesque feeling to the game but he was not without his humor.

Honestly I would like to see a game that matches Black Plague's expert mixing of emotions. Where amnesia the dark decent had me scared shitless and terrified of the slightest sound in my house Black Plague was a better experience.

A good interactive storytelling experience should be like a good salad full of different component.

Basically I want black plague only better. Slightly more intuitive puzzles, more monster variety, larger and more expansive environments. However the same kafkaesque overtones the same variate of emotions and the epic out of the blue humor.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - The Lynx - 07-31-2014

Greetings ya'll Smile

Jo, Im new here and I got. this idea. Well it is more of an inspiration than an idea.
How about Anomalies that have properties, move around, are harmful/useful/do nothing.
Like a fire anomaly burning you or a teleporter that helps you.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - Paddy™ - 07-31-2014

S.O.M.A.: Shadow of Cherbubbles.

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - The Lynx - 08-01-2014

Actually, I got this inspiration from Metro 2033 Tongue
How about
S.O.M.A. Shadow of the MAchine?

RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA? - Paddy™ - 08-01-2014

Haha nice Cool

I think with SOMA's mind-bending storyline, teleportation and other Metro-esque anomalies wouldn't be such a big leap. We know that the enemies/creatures in the game will each affect the player's senses in a unique way, so in a manner of speaking they could be the equivalent of the "anomalies" of S.T.A.L.K.E.R:/Metro.