Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Penumbra Series (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-22.html)
+---- Forum: Linux - Penumbra (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-25.html)
+---- Thread: Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 (/thread-2467.html)

Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - jondecker76 - 11-25-2008

Playing downloaded version of Black Plague on the latest version of Ubuntu. I have experienced random events of very slow frame rate (jerkiness) and several random lock-ups, especially while loading levels.

Is there a patch available to fix some of these problems or is there anything else I need to do.

Running this on a Pentium 4, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia 6600 256 MB.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RE: Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - Urkle - 11-26-2008

By "downloaded version", do you mean the demo or the linux full version? The full version includes more fixed than the demo version does.

Are you sure any of these "lock-ups" and "slow frame rates" aren't recreatable?? If I had a save game where I could recreate I'd be able track down what the cause is. and by Lock-up, does the game hang? or does it crash? If it crashes, send a backtrace from GDB (via a core dump)

Also, are you running any other applications on your system that could be occupying CPU?

RE: Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - jondecker76 - 11-26-2008

The downloaded version is the full, paid-for version.

As far as a crash, it almost always happens while loading a level. The loading screen will just hang forever. After restarting X with alt+ctrl+backspace, and logging back in, the CPU usage is 100%. Looking at system monitor shows penumbrablackplague.bin as sleeping. Trying to manually end process would result in the process being listed as "zombie". I could finally get it to go away by manually killing the process.

The jerkiness and framerate comes and goes. The first time this happened is in the room with the "unnatural" light... Framerate went down to 1-2 frames per second.. Rebooted and the problem went away. There have been many other times this has happened as well in other areas. Also, the only reproducable low framerate problems happens any time I'm within a pretty close distance to an enemy, or a body (drops to around 5-10 FPS)

There is no other process running in the background that could be causing this. (verified by system monitor). This is a fresh install. Also, I'm using the binary NVidia driver (not the open source driver)

I'll try to get these problems to reliably reproduce and report back here if I'm successful.

Urkle Wrote:By "downloaded version", do you mean the demo or the linux full version? The full version includes more fixed than the demo version does.

Are you sure any of these "lock-ups" and "slow frame rates" aren't recreatable?? If I had a save game where I could recreate I'd be able track down what the cause is. and by Lock-up, does the game hang? or does it crash? If it crashes, send a backtrace from GDB (via a core dump)

Also, are you running any other applications on your system that could be occupying CPU?

RE: Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - jondecker76 - 11-26-2008

Ok, here is something consistently reproducable for me..

I am in the back part of the chemical research lab - where the cameras are scanning with green lights... The framerate here for me is unplayable (less than 5 FPS) - I dont even know how I'm going to get past this part because I can't even play it.
I have tried turning ALL advanced graphic settings off, and even went to very low shader quality and the lowest resolution. But even then, the framerate does not go up.

I meet the minim specs listed by a mile - i have a 2.8 ghz processor, 2GB RAM, geforce 6600 256 MB, and over 500 GB freespace on my drive.

Is there any way to see what is causing this terrible framerate???

RE: Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - Fatbaticus - 11-26-2008

jondecker76 Wrote:Ok, here is something consistently reproducable for me..

I am in the back part of the chemical research lab - where the cameras are scanning with green lights... The framerate here for me is unplayable (less than 5 FPS) - I dont even know how I'm going to get past this part because I can't even play it.
I have tried turning ALL advanced graphic settings off, and even went to very low shader quality and the lowest resolution. But even then, the framerate does not go up.

I meet the minim specs listed by a mile - i have a 2.8 ghz processor, 2GB RAM, geforce 6600 256 MB, and over 500 GB freespace on my drive.

Wow, dude that sucks. There is new patches out there for your graphics card. I've got a 7600gt with 512 ram and it runs fine 0_0
*sigh* I miss my good pc *crys*

jondecker76 Wrote:Ok, here is something consistently reproducable for me..

Hmmm, the specs it says you might require in the game. 5600gtx or whateva right? thats for all on low and low shaders etc
so you might need a better graphics card, but im not really sure so I cant help you.

Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the linux require diffren't specs than windows?

RE: Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - jondecker76 - 11-27-2008

on the website it specifically says that the specs are the same for windows. Also, it lists geforce 4x cards as sufficient, which I easily meet.

I have now tried several different versions of the nvidia driver including the latest, all with the same problem.

Another reproducable thing is that it slows to around 1 fps any time i'm around a corpse, without fail. Surely I can't be the only person having such problems???

RE: Having some problems while running in Ubuntu 0810 - Urkle - 11-27-2008

Can you attach a saved game file just before you encounter these slowdowns so I can test on my linux system? (Which is an Athlon 2100+ w/ 1.5GB ram and a 256MB 6600 Nvidia card like yours)