Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? (/thread-2502.html)

Pages: 1 2

Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - RebHunter24 - 12-22-2008

I feel that guns could have been implimented somewhere in the game, it is a world war 2 bunker after all? why would they have no guns with a war going on?

by the way by adding guns im just saying that there would be like "a" gun and it only has like 1 clip of ammo.

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Yuhaney - 12-22-2008

Guns in Penumbra series would ruin the game(s).

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Kedjane - 12-22-2008

There's a good reason for it.
The whole series started with the Tech Demo from 2006. It was just a short demonstration of what they could do, but then it turned so popular they decided to make a whole game from it. Apart from the great physics it was loved because you pretty much couldn't hurt the enemies.
Instead of just gunning your enemies away you had to run, which was a lot scarier. So it carried on to Overture, although they had some melee weapons to get you out of a tight spot.
After Overture there was a HUUUGE discussion thread where all the fans talked about wether Black Plague should have guns or not and it was decided guns didn't fit in the game.

I was on the team that wanted guns, though. I think they did a pretty good decision with Black Plague by leaving out all weapons, but there are a bit too many enemies and a bit too many places where you have to run.
Then ofcourse there is a logical explanation: after the war ended they took all the weapons with them.

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Astek - 12-24-2008

True that. The Tech Demo was awesome.
That was what really pulled me into the game,
and I totally agree. Guns and Penumbra don't mix.

Dave

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Petike - 12-24-2008

Look, you get one gun, then you'll want another... and another and another... and the creepy and dense atmosphere goes to you know where...

So, it's better not to have guns at all. Improvised melee fighting is good enough, IMHO. Hard and intense, but adds to the whole experience of "I'm an average Joe exploring dark mysteries in a secret base in the middle of Arctic nowhere"...

I was watching one vid from Overture on YouTube about a year ago, when I noticed a comment, that said : "Great game, but it would need at least a SPAS-12 shotgun. Those dogs are f***** tough and scary !" I laughed hard. The coward... :razz: Rolleyes

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Kedjane - 12-24-2008

Well, both Silent Hill and Condemned are great with guns. So I really can see some old muskeet in Lux Tenebras.

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - eliasfrost - 12-24-2008

Or a flintlock pistol! <3

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Kedjane - 12-25-2008

(12-24-2008, 08:13 PM)nackidno Wrote: Or a flintlock pistol! <3

Exactly what I was thinking of Tongue

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - Dontar - 12-26-2008

instead of "useable guns" have am as decorations and/or things you can pick up and move like the rest of the objects...cant shoot the gun, but ya can throw it like a stick. >_>

RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture? - jamhaw - 12-26-2008

Well I think that it would be great to have a flintlock in Lux Tenebras (though we should probably have at least one enemy with a ranged attack) you would have a finite amount of powder and perhaps three shots. You wouldn't be very good at aiming and it would make a poor melee weapon, so it would if anything increase the tension.