Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[SCRIPT] Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: [SCRIPT] Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? (/thread-26002.html)

Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - Neelke - 08-30-2014

Question says it all.

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - FlawlessHappiness - 08-30-2014

Yea.

SetMessage("Messages", GetLocalVarString("StringVar"), 0);

Like this?

if you wanted it the other way around, then no.
You cannot have the .lang file call something from the script.

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - Neelke - 08-30-2014

Oh good. This solves so many of my issues. Thanks.

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - Daemian - 08-30-2014

I thought of something else. nevermind.

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - FlawlessHappiness - 08-30-2014

Writing GetLocalVarString("") is just another way of writing a word, if the string is tied to a word.

I sometimes have Strings tied to other strings that then is tied to a word.

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - Daemian - 08-30-2014

Are you sure this is working for you Flawless?: SetMessage( "Messages", "I have a cat", 0 );
cause it never did for me, unless the string it's the name of an entry in the language file.

language
PHP Code:
    <CATEGORY Name="Messages">
        <
Entry Name="I have a cat">I have a cat</Entry>
    </
CATEGORY

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - PutraenusAlivius - 08-30-2014

(08-30-2014, 03:27 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: SetMessage("Messages", GetLocalVarString("StringVar"), 0);

Like what Daemian said, how is it possible? The argument is
PHP Code:
void SetMessage(stringasTextCategorystringasTextEntryfloat afTime); 

The second argument is the Entry in the .lang file. This obviously won't work because the second argument IS FOR the Entry in the Category, NOT FOR a StringVariable.

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - Mudbill - 08-30-2014

No, what this does is use a different entry.

PHP Code:
SetMessage("Messages"GetLocalVarString("StringVar"), 0); 

Let's say StringVar is currently "MessageStop"

If you have MessageStop as an entry in your lang file, it will call that one and display its text. For example "You need to stop."

If StringVar is "MessageGo" instead, then it will call the MessageGo entry instead of MessageStop.

So it will display that one's text, for example "You need to go."

@Daemian
Although I think it's possible to use entries with spaces, I don't think you should, just to be safe.

RE: Is it possible to set a message through a string variable? - MrBehemoth - 08-30-2014

PHP Code:
// lang file
        <
Entry Name="CatMessage">I have a cat</Entry>
</
CATEGORY>

// script
SetLocalVarString("StringVar""CatMessage")
SetMessage("Messages"GetLocalVarString("StringVar"), 0); 

...would work. As long as the 2nd parameter is a string that points to a lang file entry, not the content itself.

Edit - Mr Mudbill beat me to it, but we're pretty much saying the same thing.

Edit Edit:

There's nothing stopping you from doing something like this:
PHP Code:
// lang file
        <
Entry Name="CatYes">I have a cat</Entry>
        <
Entry Name="CatNo">I dont have a cat</Entry>
</
CATEGORY>

// script
string GotCat "No";
SetMessage("Messages""Cat"+GotCat0); 

So eh... yes, I'm sure it'll work ^_^

Yay, people learn!

(08-30-2014, 05:31 PM)First Captain Wrote:
(08-30-2014, 03:27 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: SetMessage("Messages", GetLocalVarString("StringVar"), 0);

Like what Daemian said, how is it possible? The argument is
PHP Code:
void SetMessage(stringasTextCategorystringasTextEntryfloat afTime); 

The second argument is the Entry in the .lang file. This obviously won't work because the second argument IS FOR the Entry in the Category, NOT FOR a StringVariable.

Also this:
Did you notice the SetMessage has string& asTextEntry for the entry?
That little "string&" is the exact reason I can do it. Because it's just a string. A string is a word. It'll just change the LocalVarString to the word it's supposed to be.

I can also confirm that it works, since I'm using it in my Mod.