Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA (/thread-26059.html)

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Rapture - 12-16-2013

Another attempt at hand-painting textures (This is a Blender Render, of the texture on a flat plane). I used a normal/AO map from a quick sculpt to start out the texture, that is why the bricks are so spaced out.

[Image: wvos.png]

I wish I remembered to use my layers more because their is about 10 minutes of work I wish I could just delete because it looks so bad now.

@Mechavomit - I'm sure there is a way to merge the mesh. I've seen videos of people doing something like that. But I don't have ZBrush (I'm assuming your using that) so I wouldn't know how to.

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Traggey - 12-16-2013

@ Mecha-

To merge a mesh in Zbrush go to your Subtools panel, you should see all your seperate meshes there, under the tools themselves there are a few menus you can extend, one is called Merge, it has a function called merge down that works just like it would in Photoshop, so merge your tentacles down into the face Subtool and then run a dynamesh or a Z-remesher to mesh it all together.

@ Rapture- Even when working with a handpainted style you're going to want to use some references from here and there, first thing that bothers me is the way the cracks look, they are very unnatural.

Secondly something you'll want to do with your shadows, I see you're using very dark de-saturated colours for shadows but what you actually want to do is make sure to saturate the shadows more so than the base colour of the brick, this will alow you to also make the shaded areas slightly brighter than they are now.

Posting a picture from my portfolio here, this is from a game we developed called When Imps Fly.

If you have a peek you'll see what we don't use any black in our textures, it is all just darker more saturated verisions of the base colour, hope that helps!

[Image: Imps61.jpg]

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Mechavomit - 12-16-2013

@ Traggey
It's not Zbrush, it's actually Sculptris. And Sculptris leaves a nasty crease where two meshes collide. I couldn't find a way to deal with it.

OOooh, I've never poked at sculptris, I do however know that the Dynamesh tech came from sculptris, so merging the meshes should be more than possible.

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Acies - 12-16-2013

(12-15-2013, 10:54 PM)Mechavomit Wrote: But I discovered that painting over the model is hella fun. You get quick and easy portraits.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 7A0HYrO.jpg]
Holy smackaroni. Really like this style! There is something weird going on with his right eye Smile

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Rapture - 12-16-2013

^
I didn't notice that earlier, but I would have to agree. His eye should just slightly warp around his head because the eyes are suppose to be attached to his face. Wink

They shouldn't really though, the FOV wouldn't make sense for the eye to be wraped around, a human face is more flat than round, although it's not. ( Artist logic )

Image looks fantastic as is Wink

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Mechavomit - 12-16-2013

Eyes are my #1 weakness. I'm still looking for a comfortable way to draw them quickly and easily, so that they look nice and stylized, but flexible enough for different expressions. I can draw realistic eyes, but I can't stylize them properly =/

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - eliasfrost - 12-16-2013

Traggery is right, if you look straight up from below or down from above, the eyes are practically lined up facing forward, nothing wrong going on.

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - TheWalshinator - 12-17-2013

A drawing of Jeff the Killer to join the other three. I gotta warn you, though, there is a bit of gore, so view at own discretion (although there already is a filter, I thought I'd warn you guys)
http://thewalshinator.deviantart.com/art/Jeff-the-Killer-420307707
Up next is Laughing Jack.