Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? (/thread-28199.html)

Pages: 1 2

Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - Newsman Waterpaper - 12-22-2014

I'm not sure if this should go into CS development or the normal CS section but anyway, I was wondering if anybody on here ever got scared by their own mod at somepoint or another? I was testing out one of latest levels in Amnesia:The Streets of London and I was so freaked out by it that I exited the game. I wonder at this stage of your own mod actually scaring you should be a sign that your doing something right? What do you guys think?

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - Tesseract - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:50 AM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: I'm not sure if this should go into CS development or the normal CS section but anyway, I was wondering if anybody on here ever got scared by their own mod at somepoint or another? I was testing out one of latest levels in Amnesia:The Streets of London and I was so freaked out by it that I exited the game. I wonder at this stage of your own mod actually scaring you should be a sign that your doing something right? What do you guys think?

Short answer, utterly terrified.

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - MrBehemoth - 12-22-2014

You question reminded me of this article.

Personally, I've not been scared scared, but I have been suckered by my own jumpscare, even when I knew it was coming. Just goes to show that anticipation is a big part of it.

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - MsHannerBananer - 12-22-2014

I wanted to ask this question MONTHS ago!! Kudos for finally asking it, hahah!

My own mod still freaks me out. I know EVERYTHING that's supposed to happen, and yet I still freak out when shit goes down. Sometimes I feel so pathetic about it. LOL

I remember I mapped and scripted one of the later levels of my mod several months before I actually went in to test it, and when the time came that I actually went in to test, I'd forgotten the ambiance I'd used, the music I'd used, and how everything had looked.

I lasted about 5 seconds then I shut the thing down. I couldn't even, man. I couldn't. Even.

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - L00T3R123 - 12-22-2014

i bet the people who made penumbra got scared trying to play their game since the background music and the scary alien that runs into you

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - Neelke - 12-23-2014

I'll say that I have made myself paranoid, from luring myself lol. Since I'm soon gonna make a random corridor where lightning, events and everything is random, I'm probably scare myself to death.

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - Googolplex - 12-23-2014

I always asked me if a developer get scared by their own game. And I think the answer is "yes".

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - Catalyst - 12-24-2014

I was scared, by my own custom story when I totally forgot about my special jumpscare Big Grin

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - LeahTh - 12-29-2014

Not scared by the game, per se, but when I started writing the main skeleton of my story, I surprised myself of the dark things I could write.

RE: Have you ever been scared by your own mod? - Spelos - 12-30-2014

Especially with my custom monster, it's behaviour is really strange and yesterday amnesia decided, that it's a good idea to not crash with two functions using the same name. So while I was expecting the secret door to open, I didn't expect my monster to appear.