Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[SOLVED] Combining different meshes? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: [SOLVED] Combining different meshes? (/thread-30133.html)

Pages: 1 2

[SOLVED] Combining different meshes? - FailedExperiment - 06-18-2015

I've recently downloaded some .obj files which I have exported to collada format (.dae), and I have all the UVs laid out with the specific images I need wrapped around each item. A problem I have is that I have exported several different meshes to create the same object, such as the body of the character, specific eyes, teeth, etc... for extra manipulation, but I don't know how to combine each mesh into one model. I imported each mesh into the model editor, but once I try to import a second one to connect the meshes, it opens the new mesh. I am having no trouble whatsoever with specific UV layouts or textures, but how do I combine two or more meshes together to form only one (.ent) file?

RE: Combining different meshes? - Mudbill - 06-18-2015

An ent file uses only 1 dae file. You need to combine whatever meshes you have into 1 object before exporting it.

RE: Combining different meshes? - Traggey - 06-19-2015

Wrooooooooooong forum, moved.

And yeah, you'll have to combine the meshes in your modeling suite, can't do it in HPL.

RE: Combining different meshes? - FailedExperiment - 06-21-2015

I've solved the problem, but a greater error has occured. The model is now invisible in Amnesia. It does crash in the modelview, and I know why. I've seen custom models and their .dae files automatically have the textures loaded. In the model editor, my mesh is invisible, but I am able to wrap images around them in the model editor (material), however, the figure is invisible in game. So is this another thing I will have to re-export with textures already in the mesh (.dae) file?

RE: Combining different meshes? - Traggey - 06-21-2015

Look up some of the modeling tutorials here on the forum, they cover how to export your meshes properly and how to set up a material file.

RE: Combining different meshes? - Catalyst - 06-21-2015

(06-21-2015, 08:40 AM)FailedExperiment Wrote: I've solved the problem, but a greater error has occured. The model is now invisible in Amnesia. It does crash in the modelview, and I know why. I've seen custom models and their .dae files automatically have the textures loaded. In the model editor, my mesh is invisible, but I am able to wrap images around them in the model editor (material), however, the figure is invisible in game. So is this another thing I will have to re-export with textures already in the mesh (.dae) file?

You cannot simply combine all meshes in one, sure it's posible, in renders as Maya or Cinema 4D, but Amnesia does not support multi textured lambert (every mesh is divided in multi parts called lamberts, every lambert supports a texture, if you will combine all lamberts in one, then lambert would be multitextured, and it's crashing Amnesia when model is loaded), only one texture per mesh.

About invisible textures, there are many ways to solve it. I've encountered a issue like this, you could try re-export model, properly textured, and make sure that those textures are in local mesh search directory, (for example : wall.dae or wall.ent, after loading mesh in ModelWiewer, a mat file is generated, then open it with notepad, and see if texture directory are correct, if it's wrong, try to write a proper path, I've solved an issue some time ago) make sure that texture format is DDS or TGA. JPG is invisible, and most of times, when a mesh is being loaded in editor with jpg format, editor is crashing, or mesh is invisible.

If you need some help, please PM me, I can solve it Smile

Rolleyes Good luck. Shy

RE: Combining different meshes? - Traggey - 06-22-2015

That's not really true Catalyst, one mesh can use several different materials. I can not recall exactla what the limit is, but it is possible. I've done it myself before.

RE: Combining different meshes? - Mudbill - 06-22-2015

I've only been able to apply 1 lambert to a mesh. Adding another would replace it. Of course I could add more lamberts to other meshes in the model when I keep them separate, but I could never (at least casually) add two lamberts to the same object.

RE: Combining different meshes? - Traggey - 06-22-2015

Yeah the meshes themselves need to be separate objects in the file, but they can share .dae

Take a look at Alexander and his hair for example

RE: Combining different meshes? - Mudbill - 06-22-2015

Yeah. Another example is the window assets. 1 model > 2 objects > 2 lamberts, one solid and one transparent, simply because HPL doesn't do both in the same material.