Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
It's Official, Polygon Is Full Of Crap! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: SOMA (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-55.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-56.html)
+--- Thread: It's Official, Polygon Is Full Of Crap! (/thread-30533.html)

Pages: 1 2

It's Official, Polygon Is Full Of Crap! - ArioDargeto - 09-10-2015

Quote:"To make things clear: SOMA will let you to die an agonizing death if you are not careful.

There was death in the preview too, but it was not properly implemented then. The game is a bit harsher now, especially if you are not careful.

Really hard to strike a balance between having proper gameplay consequences, without getting too much trial & error like play. I think the system the game has now (and will have on release) works really well and should instill the proper dread and fear of death. Obviously, you guys will have to be the final judge of that though
"-fg_thomas

RE: It's Official, You CAN'T Die! - GhylTarvoke - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 12:42 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: So, there you have it, the rumors are true, it is not just the preview build, you really can't die in this game, which (for me anyway) removes a huge part of the tension, the fear that, should you get caught, you will have to go through those horrors all over again.

We still don't know what the consequences of failure are. What if, instead of forcing you to replay a sequence (which would probably be less scary the second time around), the game forces you to play a different, even scarier sequence? I think that would be very effective.

RE: It's Official, You CAN'T Die! - ArioDargeto - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 02:09 AM)GhylTarvoke Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 12:42 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: So, there you have it, the rumors are true, it is not just the preview build, you really can't die in this game, which (for me anyway) removes a huge part of the tension, the fear that, should you get caught, you will have to go through those horrors all over again.

We still don't know what the consequences of failure are. What if, instead of forcing you to replay a sequence (which would probably be less scary the second time around), the game forces you to play a different, even scarier sequence? I think that would be very effective.

With that logic though, you could potentially miss parts of the game if you really suck at escaping, which wouldn't be any better.

RE: It's Official, You CAN'T Die! - Kreekakon - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 02:18 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: With that logic though, you could potentially miss parts of the game if you really suck at escaping, which wouldn't be any better.

With your logic of implying that this is seemingly a bad thing, then any game with branching narrative paths is considered a bad thing because you would be "missing parts" based on the choices you made in the game.

(09-10-2015, 02:45 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 02:18 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: With that logic though, you could potentially miss parts of the game if you really suck at escaping, which wouldn't be any better.

With your logic of implying that this is seemingly a bad thing, then any game with branching narrative paths is considered a bad thing because you would be "missing parts" based on the choices you made in the game.

In a branching narative you see different versions of the whole story, if you get skipped ahead to a difference sequence when you get caught in a game like this, you are just missing stuff altogether. And I AM saying that this is a bad idea, Death worked in the original Amnesia, it can work here too.

(09-10-2015, 02:56 AM)ArioDargeto Wrote: In a branching narative you see different versions of the whole story, if you get skipped ahead to a difference sequence when you get caught in a game like this, you are just missing stuff altogether. And I AM saying that this is a bad idea, Death worked in the original Amnesia, it can work here too.

Just because death worked in Amnesia and potentially could work in SOMA doesn't mean that it NEEDS to be put into SOMA for that reason. As for missing part of the story, I'm fairly certain that FG has tuned the game so that it is very much like a branching narrative where regardless of how many times you "die", the sequence of events you get will still be linked up together into a coherent and complete experience...much like how branching narrative games are a "different version of the whole story".

RE: It's Official, You CAN'T Die! - Damascus Rose - 09-10-2015

"Finally, they explain how there really is no way to die in SOMA, but rather; "The game takes the player closer and closer to a more disturbing state of being"."

where did they say this exactly?

also, the title is extremely obnoxious, some people may want to go on this forum and not have something like this spoiled..

(09-10-2015, 03:24 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: also, the title is extremely obnoxious, some people may want to go on this forum and not have something like this spoiled..

This shouldn't be considered a spoiler since it is part of what FG decided to officially divulge to the general public and is something I don't think will hamper your experience too much if yo go in knowing about.

If one regards even the lightest of game mechanic discussions to be spoilers, then it will generally be a very good idea for them to not go onto area of the internet frequently discussing the game at all, since so close to the release of the game, many fans will be talking about what FG has revealed so far.

RE: It's Official, You CAN'T Die! - Damascus Rose - 09-10-2015

where did they talk about this?

(09-10-2015, 03:32 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: where did they talk about this?

I posted a link to my source at the bottom of the original post