Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P (/thread-30551.html)

Pages: 1 2

Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - OmniT00 - 09-14-2015

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MVmRtSKfPAleLvH00UsfvYZU7-0_0R-2LRuLfFf14Pw/edit?usp=sharing What it says on the tin, honestly.

Due to my personal inability to code, model, animate, etc, I cannot make the game myself, and I honestly would love to see this come to light.

And if you are interested, add me on steam, message me and whatnot, and we'll keep in contact, I honestly would love to see this project come to light!

Steam Name: OmniT00

NOTE: You can also say you're interested in the thread, obviouslly, or else I wouldn't have made a thread.

ANYWAYS.....This project will obviouslly need several people working on it, it would take forever and very little would be done if it was just one person, so, what we would need for this?
-A Coder/Lead Programmer/Lead Designer/Developer (As I, as said before, am rather inept with coding, and all that jazz.)
-Modeller/Animator
-Texture Artist
-Sound Design

And all the rest of that jazz, anyways, if anyone wants to participate in this, I thank you highly! and wish you best of luck!

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - A.M Team - 09-15-2015

Can I make a suggestion? Why limit yourself with the HPL1 engine? HPL3 and SOMA are a week away and you want to go back to the Penumbra games?

I've read through the, might I add, well written plan but let me tell you, you can pretty much make a new combat system with HPL3, it will feel like Penumbra because you can export Penumbra monsters (so you don't need to hire modelers/animators) and also if it's 100% necessary you can export Penumbra assets (chairs, filing cabinets, computer) fairly easily.

The only problem's are the weapons and maybe the inventory (no SOMA inventory layout is confirmed yet). Frictional Games said that they used to have EMP grenades but scrapped it, if we remember from Amnesia they didn't use sanity potions but they still left it in, so it's safe to say that they might leave the weapon system in.

Also:
Wolves: Penumbra Dog
Zombie Types: Infected
Pests: Rats from Amnesia
Mutants: Amnesia Monsters, SOMA Monsters?
Spider Bugs: Amnesia Spiders
Bosses: SOMA Monsters?

Now this is the solution I'd use if I can't code or model, be creative with pre-made assets, as long as it has ties to it's companies games, you can use Frictional Games assets. I hope this helps with everything, but this is just a suggestion, SHOOT FOR THE STARS IF YOU WANT!

Good luck with your custom story/IFC! No matter what you use HPL1, 2 or 3! Tongue

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - Kreekakon - 09-15-2015

Word of advice: For larger projects like this one which require a higher than little amount of devotion from a team, it is highly preferable that you are able to bring something yourself to the table besides your ideas. if you are able to for example show off some smaller works that you have previously made then people would be more keen to join in making a game with you since there is proof that you have the skills to see a smaller scale project through and may have the potential to now work on a bigger one with other people.

If you do not have experiences with smaller projects however, I would recommend you to learn an engine first and try making some small scale projects on your own to get a feel for things and THEN try to go one step further and make bigger projects which require multiple people.

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - OmniT00 - 09-15-2015

(09-15-2015, 10:11 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: Word of advice: For larger projects like this one which require a higher than little amount of devotion from a team, it is highly preferable that you are able to bring something yourself to the table besides your ideas. if you are able to for example show off some smaller works that you have previously made then people would be more keen to join in making a game with you since there is proof that you have the skills to see a smaller scale project through and may have the potential to now work on a bigger one with other people.

If you do not have experiences with smaller projects however, I would recommend you to learn an engine first and try making some small scale projects on your own to get a feel for things and THEN try to go one step further and make bigger projects which require multiple people.

Well, see, thats the thing: No matter what I do, how much I learn, and all of that, I still never get the hang of game design.

Trust me, literally a year ago, I was working in game maker (Literally, just started) and either out of laziness or stupidity, I literally FORGOT all I learned.

Plus, I'm not exact adept in coding.

And, well, honestly? This is just for people to have as their own game and such, letting someone else take the reins in this due to my inability to (I'm not kidding) not even know even C++.

And trust me when I say, if I had the coding, modelling, animating, texture working, etc. skills long before hand, I honestly would be working on this game myself, but since I don't, I'm going to let someone else lead this project, just giving them an idea.

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - CarnivorousJelly - 09-16-2015

Robo worded that a bit harsh, but it is true.

If you're good with ideas, how about you hone your writing skills and write the plot for a game? Game design isn't the be-all, end-all of videogames; story writers are important, too c:

May I sugget you take a look at Dungeons & Dragons and other such tabletops? The world-building and story telling for them lends itself extremely well to videogames and non-linear story telling (especially with good GMs).

Just wanted to add, I noticed you cited laziness as an excuse for not learning how to use an engine. It's not a good excuse. Even the most brilliant of people won't get very far in life if they don't work hard for what they want - likewise even the dumbest person can improve themselves by putting in effort.

This motivational speech was brought to you by a sentient cube of jelly

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - OmniT00 - 09-16-2015

(09-16-2015, 06:35 PM)CarnivorousJelly Wrote: Robo worded that a bit harsh, but it is true.

If you're good with ideas, how about you hone your writing skills and write the plot for a game? Game design isn't the be-all, end-all of videogames; story writers are important, too c:

May I sugget you take a look at Dungeons & Dragons and other such tabletops? The world-building and story telling for them lends itself extremely well to videogames and non-linear story telling (especially with good GMs).

Just wanted to add, I noticed you cited laziness as an excuse for not learning how to use an engine. It's not a good excuse. Even the most brilliant of people won't get very far in life if they don't work hard for what they want - likewise even the dumbest person can improve themselves by putting in effort.

This motivational speech was brought to you by a sentient cube of jelly

Well, its not exactly "Laziness", I honestly has absolutely no coding or modelling or any of those skills, though I guess laziness has been a contribution as to why I'm not skilled enough for this stuff.

(09-15-2015, 07:08 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: Can I make a suggestion? Why limit yourself with the HPL1 engine? HPL3 and SOMA are a week away and you want to go back to the Penumbra games?

I've read through the, might I add, well written plan but let me tell you, you can pretty much make a new combat system with HPL3, it will feel like Penumbra because you can export Penumbra monsters (so you don't need to hire modelers/animators) and also if it's 100% necessary you can export Penumbra assets (chairs, filing cabinets, computer) fairly easily.

The only problem's are the weapons and maybe the inventory (no SOMA inventory layout is confirmed yet). Frictional Games said that they used to have EMP grenades but scrapped it, if we remember from Amnesia they didn't use sanity potions but they still left it in, so it's safe to say that they might leave the weapon system in.

Also:
Wolves: Penumbra Dog
Zombie Types: Infected
Pests: Rats from Amnesia
Mutants: Amnesia Monsters, SOMA Monsters?
Spider Bugs: Amnesia Spiders
Bosses: SOMA Monsters?

Now this is the solution I'd use if I can't code or model, be creative with pre-made assets, as long as it has ties to it's companies games, you can use Frictional Games assets. I hope this helps with everything, but this is just a suggestion, SHOOT FOR THE STARS IF YOU WANT!

Good luck with your custom story/IFC! No matter what you use HPL1, 2 or 3! Tongue

Hmmm....very good point, dude.

I honestly want to use HPL 1 because I always LIKED HPL, not sure exactly as to why I like it so much, but still.

And maybe I could just keep the old inventory system, maybe leave the weapons in the enviroment, perhaps? Like, as physics objects instead of inventory items? For instance, once you are holding a gun, a laser sight pops up and such, and the normal throw/examine button fires it instead of tossing it. and that is a good point, making use of already made assets and such.

And thanks, by the way.

(09-16-2015, 01:36 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Ideas are useless in the games industry. Everyone has an idea, why would they want to make yours?

Well, honestly, I put this incase anyone actually WANTS to make a game, can't really think of anything and what not, and have good coding and programming skills.

Though honestly, how you worded that was somewhat harsh.

If anything though, I (or the admins) might delete this thread.

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - Nice - 09-16-2015

point above being everyone has their ideas about super sweet awesome game and how succesful it would be etc but then there's always "but i cant do that/dont have time/etc"

from people who literally have no clue how programming works to people who are very good at it (especially those) so what im saying and others is that it's very unlikely someone is going to hop on your project to do the work for you while you decide "that would be really cool, do that, wow that'd be sweet I want you to do that too" if you catch my drift

yeah nothing wrong with asking for people to team up with you to work on your game but if you expect this to go anywhere you really need to bring a lot more to the table than what you want others to do

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - OmniT00 - 09-17-2015

(09-16-2015, 11:33 PM)Nice Wrote: point above being everyone has their ideas about super sweet awesome game and how succesful it would be etc but then there's always "but i cant do that/dont have time/etc"

from people who literally have no clue how programming works to people who are very good at it (especially those) so what im saying and others is that it's very unlikely someone is going to hop on your project to do the work for you while you decide "that would be really cool, do that, wow that'd be sweet I want you to do that too" if you catch my drift

yeah nothing wrong with asking for people to team up with you to work on your game but if you expect this to go anywhere you really need to bring a lot more to the table than what you want others to do

True true

Alright, honestly, could an admin delete the thread, though? I honestly think its a waste of space at this point :V

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - Red - 09-17-2015

Seriously though, try learning how to use HPL engine - not only because it's useful but it's fun in the long run. Who knows - You might even begin to love it.
The start is a pain - yes, but it's crucial part of learning. You cannot become a master without seeing some effort. And even if you feel desperate at times, here's a whole community backing you up.

RE: Game idea stuff for someone to make on the HPL 1 engine :P - OmniT00 - 09-19-2015

(09-17-2015, 06:25 AM)Hurme Wrote: Seriously though, try learning how to use HPL engine - not only because it's useful but it's fun in the long run. Who knows - You might even begin to love it.
The start is a pain - yes, but it's crucial part of learning. You cannot become a master without seeing some effort. And even if you feel desperate at times, here's a whole community backing you up.

Alright, thanks...

...though, could you send me the basic stuff to actually get me started?