Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Outlast 2 teaser - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Outlast 2 teaser (/thread-31698.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Outlast 2 teaser - Cranky Old Man - 01-15-2016

(01-15-2016, 12:09 AM)Statyk Wrote: I wanted to play/watch outlast for the setting (insane asylum, although cliche, is still a fun idea) and aesthetics. I hope they don't go too crazy with this. Also idk when you came back because my visits are sparing, but glad to see you Cranky
You guys are way too friendly towards someone who hasn't even released a mod of his own. I have failed you. I had probably four projects going, but I don't think I've ever finished anything in my life. I just give false promises to people.

Other people on the internet treat me like shit. I'm more used to that. Since I last was here, taoists have banned me for "being a rapist", some IF forum banned me for "being a racist", my best friend thinks I was stalking her and went to the police, the last dating site I know banned me after secretly reading my personal mails and determining that "I was a terrible person" for essentially having balls, and last month somebody told me on YouTube that she hasn't met a more terrible person than me, and that she hopes that I burn in hell. ...but as long as they hire in Hell, I'll be fine.

I wish I could put you guys in dresses, marry you and start a family, but alas, I have to seek such meaning elsewhere. Virtual life is deceptively temporary.

RE: Outlast 2 teaser - Mudbill - 01-15-2016

You seem like a perfectly sensible person, I don't know why you're getting so much slack. Some people must be way too sensitive for their own as well as others' good.

(01-15-2016, 12:27 AM)Mudbill Wrote: You seem like a perfectly sensible person, I don't know why you're getting so much slack. Some people must be way too sensitive for their own as well as others' good.

I think it has to do with social dynamics: As a new guy everyone is suspicious of you, and then if you tell then that you've been banned from just about every forum on the internet, they begin to look for reasons WHY, since "the whole internet can't be wrong".
...but there's also me being on another level than normal people, and as such I don't have normal opinions about things. I'm basically strange, and that singles me out even more.
I also don't MIND not being liked, as long as not being liked isn't a bannable offense. ...but when mods start going through your emails just looking for a reason to ban you, and finding none, just bans you for being "disagreeable", then it's clear that a lot of mods on the internet aren't very professional. A lot of mods aren't elected because they're geniuses. Often they're just friends or regulars who are just socially liked, and as such they have no understanding for people who people don't like. Some mods view an internet forum as a social gathering where people are guests, instead of something like a supermarket or a workplace, where people focus on doing things instead of liking eachother.

RE: Outlast 2 teaser - Kurton - 01-15-2016

(01-15-2016, 12:24 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: taoists have banned me for "being a rapist"

I'm storing this one away as a sentence I don't think I'll ever see again [Image: thumbsup.gif]

RE: Outlast 2 teaser - Mudbill - 01-15-2016

I'm sure most mods on here are that for a good reason at least. I don't know them all that well, but I do know that for example Kreekakon is very much able to split up fights and clear up moral discussions, Romulator is very helpful and puts a lot of effort into what he does, and Plutomaniac is very well educated in terms of troubleshooting.

(01-15-2016, 02:32 AM)Kurton Wrote:
(01-15-2016, 12:24 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: taoists have banned me for "being a rapist"

I'm storing this one away as a sentence I don't think I'll ever see again [Image: thumbsup.gif]
You see, as it turns out, there is somewhat of a "rapist craze" going on with/among zen buddhists. Since the zen lineage was introduced to the west, there has been lots and lots of sex scandals where spiritual leaders have taken advantage of students sexually, had affairs and so on, to the point where people just equate zen buddhists with unenlightened rapists pretending to be enlightened to get chicks. The more enlightened you seem, the more rapist signals you're evidently sending out.
After lots of comments along the lines of "Oh, you're a zen buddhist? So you're a rapist then?" I thought that that matter had been settled. ...but apparently not. I said the word "rape" in a sentence just once, a mod read it, his calm and tranquil mind must have exploded or something, he banned me, deleted my post, and then completely misquoted me when people asked why I had been banned. ...so I guess I graduated from that forum with flying colors.

RE: Outlast 2 teaser - Romulator - 01-15-2016

(01-15-2016, 02:05 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Stuff about moderating and past times on forums.

Just to add on to this discussion, which I'll place in a spoiler because it is not exactly related to the thread topic~

Spoiler below!
Like pretty much every human being on the planet, we likely have a different perspective and appreciation of acceptable behavior on this particular forum. We all likely take action based on our experiences in our own society, which variate from culture to culture. Yet, we'll all agree on certain things which definitely should not be tolerated. Here's my opinion on the matter;

Quote:I think it has to do with social dynamics: As a new guy everyone is suspicious of you, and then if you tell then that you've been banned from just about every forum on the internet, they begin to look for reasons WHY, since "the whole internet can't be wrong".
...but there's also me being on another level than normal people, and as such I don't have normal opinions about things. I'm basically strange, and that singles me out even more.
As probably the most easy-going person in the world, I could not care less if you had been banned in the past. Moving from forum to forum is like a fresh start - working your way from 0 posts to whenever you stop visiting. Along the way you learn a few things, probably make a few friends, create an image for yourself which others see and can comment on. So you've been banned in the past - who cares?

People have different opinions, tastes, likes, dislikes, interests, attitudes, personalities... humans are complex. Sometimes, our interests are mutual, yet not all interests will be of the same level of understanding or enjoyment. Don't worry about being strange - I'd rather be myself than "normal". People may agree or disagree with my nature, but who cares? I'm happy being who I am and nobody else can tell me otherwise. They can encourage me to be somewhat more mature on occasion - doesn't mean that I must.

Quote:I also don't MIND not being liked, as long as not being liked isn't a bannable offense. ...but when mods start going through your emails just looking for a reason to ban you, and finding none, just bans you for being "disagreeable", then it's clear that a lot of mods on the internet aren't very professional.

Well, then, those mods are stupid. Personal Messaging systems are exactly that - personal. What right do some forum moderators have to go through those particular things? o.o There's no international rule either for being "disagreeable", perhaps however, some of the discussions you participated in, or created, were not within context? Still, I find that strange that you would be banned for just that reason - but it just goes back to perspective and understanding situations. I wasn't there, so I have to take your opinion on the matter and accept it as fact.

I'd like to think that I handle certain moments professionally, though I have not done much (and sometimes I goof around a little). Not just me though, the other mods here are professional in their own way, inside or outside the scope of the forum. Like Mudbill said:

Mudbill Wrote:I'm sure most mods on here are that for a good reason at least. I don't know them all that well, but I do know that for example Kreekakon is very much able to split up fights and clear up moral discussions, Romulator is very helpful and puts a lot of effort into what he does, and Plutomaniac is very well educated in terms of troubleshooting.

Kreekakon's social skills and empathy make him amazing when it comes to conflicts and is further great with his communication skills. He starts some pretty interesting topics and is very kind in general.

Traggey and Statyk are pretty great at modelling. They do their moderating and don't always comment on what they have done, but they're there. They are watching...

plutomaniac is quite knowledgeable when it comes to "Why is this not working??????" questions in the Tech Support forum. He pretty much knows how to assist with every problem under the sun with Frictional's products - but can also help with certain hardware problems, like I have had in the past.

Apjjm is pretty skilled with coding projects and has made some nice things in the past, and Iipee is also a pretty nice fellow. They both drop in every now and then and say some pretty cool things.

And we're all mods - and we do our best to be reasonable and professional moderators, however much or however little we do. Keep in mind however, you don't have to be a moderator to be a great person, but you may need to be a great person to be a moderator - which, of course, is opinionated - but I can definitely think of a few members who would make fine mods one day.

Quote:A lot of mods aren't elected because they're geniuses. Often they're just friends or regulars who are just socially liked, and as such they have no understanding for people who people don't like.

I agree with this statement to some extent. I'm naturally accepting of others, so I'd like to hope they're just as accepting to me as well - so most, if not all, (human) members of those who come here are friends to me in some way or another. I'm also incredibly active here - visiting daily even if it's for 2 minutes every 4-5 hours to remove the recent spam attack posts. I may not understand everyone, but I do enjoy learning about others and ways I can communicate without being shunned or disliked. I do my best to be aware of others' needs and provide support wherever I can. I try to help in any way possible if I can. I just hope that's enough to make me "likable". Tongue

Wow, that's a lot of typing. Hope it's an alright read and isn't just non-proofread garbage P:

(01-15-2016, 03:39 PM)Romulator Wrote: [A lot.]
Yes, this forum seems to GENUINELY work just fine. I'm just not used to forums working - that's all. Most forums SEEM to work just fine at first, to lul you into a false sense of security, but sooner or later you find out that it's all a facade. I was just describing other internet forums - I don't think you can defend mods on OTHER internet forums. I know a couple of psychopaths who falsely accused me of rape once, and they ended up being trusted moderators of a rape survivor forum, just because they were regulars and had a social network. It's ironic, since they implemented personal messaging at that forum to keep sensitive stuff AWAY from the prying eyes of psychopaths.

I feel that if there's anything more to add, then a separate topic should be created. I don't want to hijack this thread.

RE: Outlast 2 teaser - Lazoriss - 01-16-2016

This forum is the only one I actually participate in. I guess it's the sense of community and size. Massive forums are tough to moderate, but this one is kept in pretty tight order. I also guessed Googoplex must have eaten the banhammer for a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff. His comment on this forum about going to hell was more amusing than anything. Fair well, guy. As for Cranky, you seem fine. A lot of forums end up with power-tripping mods, so you're dead meat if you say something they personally don't like. It's almost surprising to see a forum where someone said "rape" without a mod berating them for not adding a trigger warning.

Going back to Outlast now.

All we have so far is this little teaser. Although they posted an image on their Facebook recently.

[Image: 859091_777944995650803_3426678117433155935_o.jpg]

Red Barrels actually has a female character in this game. Also pickaxe is implausible, but cool looking. (also it's shaped like a cross, of course)
They said that this game takes place in the same universe as the original, but new location and story. I'm honestly not going to judge them for milking the Outlast label. I mean, AMFP did the same thing. I'm guessing the mechanics and tone will be similar. What I really want to know is if this will be more open. The image is of a town, not inside a building. Outlast didn't have many outdoor sections, so it would be interesting seeing where they could take this.

RE: Outlast 2 teaser - i3670 - 01-16-2016

Is that Gehrman?