Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Sanity system - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Sanity system (/thread-3194.html)

Pages: 1 2

Sanity system - Yithian - 02-27-2010

First; Please excuse my english .... But I am from peculiar post-communist country.

You already mentioned that there will be a system of mental health. I guess that there have been questions of this type. But even so - can you tell something closer about the system of sanity?

For example some symptoms? Hallucinations, paranoia, derealization, etc?

And last question, if sanity drops too low, how does it affect the game? Unbearable catatonic convulsions of blocked mind and game over?

Thank you very much for any reply ....

PS.: Your Penumbra series really impressed me ....

RE: Sanity system - TheLittleGarfield - 02-27-2010

In the teaser it looked a lot like the Call Of Cthulhu sanity system.

RE: Sanity system - Akong - 02-27-2010

Did we see anything much in the trailer? What I saw looked exactly like the system in Penumbra. I might be blind and wrong.

RE: Sanity system - Yithian - 02-27-2010

In Penumbra, there was only one psychological system - panic attacks (Blurred view and loud breathing), if you are hiding and saw the enemy. Clarence was the result of viral illnesses.

But in Amnesia, there is a sanity-meter. I'am new here, so it is possible that the developers answered me? I know that my thread is maybe little inappropriate ....

I know that there will be a sanity system, I just don't recall it being shown in particular in the teaser. It wasn't as much of a response to you as it was to Garfield. I'm also very interested in hearing about this sanity system.

RE: Sanity system - TheLittleGarfield - 02-27-2010

Well I saw when the player ran into the room and he saw the monster the vision got blury and (I think) a bit slow-motion stuff. Just like in CoC

I never noticed any slow-motion and the blurry vision was present in Penumbra as well, but you may be right.

RE: Sanity system - Yithian - 02-27-2010

But in Call of Cthulhu there was more elements of sanity system .... Blur of view, distorted perception of time, convulsions, vertigo, floating view, paranoia, soliloquy, hearing voices-(Psychotic conditional), and many other distortions of perception. If Amnesia contain a similar sanity system, as CoC, it will be great.

That is true. CoC was a good game, but it deteriorated when you got a gun, where it turned pretty average run-of-the-mill shooter.

Also, my last post was referring to the teaser, to avoid any confusion, unless you weren't replying to me, in which case I apologize.

RE: Sanity system - TeleProd - 02-28-2010

From the teaser site:

Quote:A sound of dragging feet? Or is your mind playing tricks on you?

This seems to implicate that there are some sanity issues. I sure hope so. I loved the sanity effects in Call of Cthulhu and Penumbra (although they were quite limited). There are many things to do with a sanity system other than visual effects and heavy breathing. For example, the sounds of enemies mentioned on the teaser site: you hear/see an enemy but can never be quite sure if they're real or not. Maybe things changing places when you're not looking, environmental changes, impaired movement/interaction etc.