Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE (/thread-3732.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - takyoji - 09-06-2010

Had no problems or bugs with the demo at all; puzzles were quite straightforward. No issues with SSAO nor performance at all.

Ran perfectly on:
Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
Nvidia GeForce GT8800
4GB of RAM

Found the "water part" as rather unique, especially the disembodied limbs. I figured out that aspect right away, heh. Very nice aesthetics as well. I also read this thread after I played the demo once, found something along the lines of "I played the demo 5 times!" and thought that was a bit awkwardly nerdy of a person; but apparently after I played the demo, I felt like replaying it several times as well, probably surpassing the latter individual. xP

Would be nice if there was a setting for the amount of sound channels. My system was set to 7.1 surround sound (since I have the hardware for such), but I only had stereo headphones, thus I couldn't hear some audio channels (such as the clattering/screeching teeth, which I didn't understand what people were talking about at first; along with anything narrative). Setting my hardware audio settings to stereo resolves the issue, but it would be convenient if there was an option in the game itself.

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - gap - 09-06-2010

OK, I found what triggers the problem I described in this post:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3732-post-32019.html#pid32019

I had disabled the "smooth mouse" feature and apparently that was the reason. So if you run into the same problem (wheels almost impossible to turn), just enable smooth mouse and everything will go, well, smoothly.
Please take a look at the screenshot attached. Are those banding artefacts normal or is there some problem with my setup? They appear only in dark places.

I have pretty much all graphics options set on "high", except for SSAO, which is medium.

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - Petike - 09-07-2010

I downloaded it a few hours ago, finally played it and... Holy flying excrement ! That ghost... thing... what in the... Mommy ! Sad

Seriously, it was genuinely creepy. And those strange structures that looked like bloody human muscle tissue and... Sad I can fool monsters by going unconscious and... Smile Honestly, I have no words.

If you'll include the promised level editor, this will be one hell of a gaming experience. You did it again, you Swedish fiends ! You got me hooked ! You can count on me buying Amnesia sooner or later. Wink

P.S. Great music and really nice, artsy new interfaces !

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - psilocybin - 09-07-2010

i just signed up on the forum to give a big congrats to the dev's!!!!!!!!!!

this is the type of gaming that brought me to the pc around 1990 or so, small indie teams making incredible games, cheers brothers!!!!!!!!!

as many have said, it scarred the shite out of me, lovely experience

the only area that was a bit distracting was the numerous ambient sounds going on most of the demo, i would prefer some quite passages, much like dynamics lend to great music

nice job overall though

cheers
mike

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - Bulbatron - 09-07-2010

Petike, what do you mean by this statement?

"I can fool monsters by going unconscious"

Was there a gameplay mechanic I didn't even realise existed?

Or am I being stoopid'?

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - onewolf - 09-07-2010

(09-06-2010, 06:14 PM)gap Wrote: OK, I found what triggers the problem I described in this post:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3732-post-32019.html#pid32019

I had disabled the "smooth mouse" feature and apparently that was the reason. So if you run into the same problem (wheels almost impossible to turn), just enable smooth mouse and everything will go, well, smoothly.

THANK YOU for posting that fix, I have this exact same issue (the first thing I do when playing any game whatsoever is to disable mouse-smoothing, I hate it with a fiery passion) and actually just made a post about the issue in the tech support section.

Glad to know I won't have to worry about it when I get the full game, even if I have to live with mouse-smoothing.

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - Sajber - 09-07-2010

Demo was awesome, cant wait till tomorrow, nuff said. HeartHeart

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - axiomatic - 09-13-2010

(09-06-2010, 06:23 AM)MassacrMan Wrote: Question, if Daniel chose to drink the amnesia potion. Why was he frantically trying not to forget things like his name and where was from, and that he must stop Alexander. Isn't that what the letter you find is for?

I'm thinking it was just a spur of the moment thing and he was freaking out about what the potion was doing to him.

I don't think it's an amnesia potion; that's just a side effect. It either metamorphosized him or restored his youth. As he says in his note, "he's old and weak, you're young and strong," suggesting that the other Daniel wasn't. Likewise the inter-scene excerpts ("at the consulate in Constantinople") hint at a lifetime of experience, not a young man...

Of course this probably means (going along with the general themes of the Penumbra scenes) that the other Daniel was (is?) senile, insane; and evil himself. Maybe the potion gave his other personality (i.e. the PC) a body...

RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE - Petike - 09-17-2010

(09-07-2010, 03:20 AM)Bulbatron Wrote: Petike, what do you mean by this statement?

"I can fool monsters by going unconscious"

Was there a gameplay mechanic I didn't even realise existed?

Or am I being stoopid'?

Dunno about you, but after the ghost thing caught me near that acursed second portcullis and everything went black, some white letters started appearing on the screen, giving me a hint like "a seemingly dead body can fool an enemy" or something in that manner. Then I woke up, the monster was further away and I was lying on a crate in a more safer corner of the flooded cellar. I opened the second portcullis and made a run for it, the thing started to chase me again, but I managed to outrun it and reached the end of the demo.

I had the "Death Tips" turned on, so that means they either appeared after the game automatically loaded my last previous position, or I was there the whole time and the hint was just an interlude till I woke up.

I still don't understand it completely, I'll have to play the full game first. Until then, I'm ignoring spoilers and thinking too hard about the whole matter. Tongue Wink

EDIT : Found it ! Here's your answer. Wink