Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? (/thread-3938.html)

Pages: 1 2

No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - PerfectBlue - 09-08-2010

In the demo, one could simply light a candle with a tinderbox, stand in the light for a bit, and revover a decent amount of sanity. I am trying that in the actual game right now and it doesnt seem to work.

How else can I restore my sanity besides solving puzzles or making progress?

Edit: Standing in the light does restore sanity, although at a MUCH slower rate compared to the demo.

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - Yuhaney - 09-08-2010

In the blog they said that the insanity wasn't same in the demo that it was going to be in the full game.

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - membrain - 09-08-2010

Regarding insanity I have a question: What do I have to fear when sanity gets low? Besides a graphical filter that makes the screen look frozen I didn't notive any disadvantages so I leave many lanterns or candles unlit.

membrain

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - PerfectBlue - 09-08-2010

(09-08-2010, 08:40 PM)membrain Wrote: Regarding insanity I have a question: What do I have to fear when sanity gets low? Besides a graphical filter that makes the screen look frozen I didn't notive any disadvantages so I leave many lanterns or candles unlit.

membrain

You are much more easily detected by monsters when hiding.

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - NGW - 09-08-2010

I think it makes it easier to be seen? I remember it saying that looking at enemies for too long drains your sanity and makes them more likely to spot you.

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - membrain - 09-08-2010

So what if I hid in the dark and do not look at enemies? Will they me find easy then as well?

membrain

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - Yuhaney - 09-08-2010

If your sanity is at "..." point, there is nothing you can do if enemy sees you.
They move at lightning speed and spot you no matter what.

Ok, that sounds creepy. I don't like too fast enemies.
But now a thoughtexperiment:
What if I went up an object the enemy can't reach (there are a few in every map) and turn on my lantern up there ... When there's light and I don't look at the enemy so that my status isn't "..." anymore, can the enemy then still see me when I turn off my lantern?

Hmm ... just a thought. I bet it will see me though.

membrain

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - RoadCrewWorker - 09-08-2010

I think the worst punishment for draining the sanity meter all the way to the bottom is that you actually fall down and have to crawl on the floor for a few seconds (probably not a good thing to happen while running away from enemies). After you get up you regain a good portion of the sanity from what i remember.

Edit just to make it clear: you will recover sanity over time, but it takes a minute or two of twiddling thumbs. Personally i didn't have much problems (only ran out of oil once) going at a natural pace.

RE: No way to restore sanity other than solving puzzles? - nofsky - 09-09-2010

Your controls get laggy and slow sometimes too when you're low on sanity. That is quite annoying, especially when a monster is after you.