Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
So... - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: So... (/thread-43215.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: So... - A.M Team - 05-19-2016

(05-18-2016, 09:18 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I would love it if FG made a game that was a bit more opened ended in terms of story and level design as that was one of the critiques I had with SOMA for being more linear with story and level design than I expected.

There is actually way more events that are optional in-game rather than areas. It really depends on what you want out of the game: would you prefer more ways of traversing an area but the same events happen each time or would you prefer one linear area but with a lot of cool events that can effect how you go from A to B?

(05-18-2016, 09:18 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote:
Spoiler below!
As for the story the choices you make should matter later on, because after beating SOMA once you realize the choices you make were pointless and it didn't effect the outcome of the game.

This has been the same for Amnesia. Yes, there were more areas to explore in Amnesia than SOMA but they were usually not very dense with details unlike SOMA (maybe because of the amount of detail work on SOMA might have had a hand in events over area design?) Personally, not knowing there are extra contents in a game is way better than knowing they're there and wanting to go back to them.

RE: So... - Darkfire - 05-19-2016

Refering to Amnesia's monsters:
I think they nailed them off. But still they're quite pathetic if you actually analise them.

When I first played the game (Dark Descent ofc), the enemy encounters were tough to bare and I usually had an adrenaline rush while running away.
But when I started modding and replayed the game, monters' AI became laughable and they were somewhat of a chore.

What I'm saying is that Amnesia's monsters are perfectly balanced - they are a serious threat when player is gripped by fear, but actually are quite... silly. And easy to avoid.

PS. FG actually did a good job programing the enemies. I tried doing that for my mod and they came out twice as stiff as in DD.

RE: What if the next project is Amnesia3? - JasmineJasmine - 05-20-2016

I just hate moving around in it. I can use the keyboard for games like Thief, since you're stealthy the whole time, and if I get caught I usually just reload. I just can't seem to map comfortable controls for Amnesia.

Really awesome, lovely news. The title picture, on the other hand…

RE: What if the next project is Amnesia3? - Kein - 05-21-2016

Can mods merge this thread into https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-43215.html please?

it is AMFFP and SOMA pre-release all over again with multiple threads on the same subject.

RE: So... - Romulator - 05-21-2016

(05-21-2016, 08:16 AM)Kein Wrote: Can mods merge this thread...?

Done.

RE: So... - Knickebein - 05-21-2016

I really hope FG is making new horror games and not only story focused experiences like Dear Esther. I wish to have a game that is even scarier than Black Plague and Dark Descent. Of course a good story is also important, but the major reason why people enjoyed Amnesia was because it's scary as hell. SOMA was also great, but more beautiful than disturbing. And I don't mean thrill rides like in Outlast, I mean psychological horror. Amnesia had a perfect location in the castle and Penumbra in the mines/shelter.

Maybe they make a new horror game in the 1920's and I think also a new sci-fi game. But I wish a sci-fi horror game then.

RE: So... - Macgyverthehero - 05-21-2016

(05-21-2016, 03:57 PM)Knickebein Wrote: Maybe they make a new horror game in the 1920's and I think also a new sci-fi game. But I wish a sci-fi horror game then.

Thomas Grip of FG made the free game Fiend which was set in the 1920's.

As for a new sci-fi game, I feel like FG isn't going to leave SOMA immediately for a completely different project, like with Penumbra and Amnesia FG made other content for them like Penumbra's Requiem expansion and Amnesia's Justine Expansion.

There is a lot of unused content in SOMA's files that I would love to see FG use for a future SOMA expansion. SOMA is ripe for extra official content and FG could expand on the game with the unused assets.

Lastly, there is two secret projects, so it is possible either project is a completely different game unrelated to any of FG's current games.

RE: So... - Radiance - 05-21-2016

SOMA is such an interesting and remarkable setting to explore and ponder about. Not only underwater but in space and other planets.
I wish SOMA had went to Kickstarter for larger budget. Thomas said in conference they were limited by the budget and time.

RE: So... - A.M Team - 05-21-2016

(05-21-2016, 07:38 PM)brus Wrote: I wish SOMA had went to Kickstarter for larger budget. Thomas said in conference they were limited by the budget and time.

Let me stop you right there brus: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/AntCarpendale/playing-with-fear-the-world-of-horror-video-games

This project had WAY less budget but had a lot of potential and it still failed. Not only were they going to interview Visceral, FG and the guy that made the first ever survival horror game Ant Attack but they were also going to show off a lot of other lesser known developers working in the indie scene. I was gutted when they were only £11,000 away from creating one of the best documentaries in the video game scene since Indie Game: The Movie.

Kickstarter is a VERY risky en-devour. Having a big budget with crowd-funding comes from exposure and lots of it (Skullgirls/Indivisible is a good example).

RE: So... - Knickebein - 05-22-2016

I agree. I love SOMA. The underwater atmosphere was so fantastic!!! And I wish to have an other underwarter game, but with more horror. SOMA had some really scary places like THETA for example, but most other places were more beautiful than scary.

I wish to have horror like in Amnesia, but underwater. And I don't mean just the monsters, I mean really deep horror like in the cells and torture rooms of Brennenburg castle.