Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
What Scares You? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: What Scares You? (/thread-51623.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What Scares You? - J.R.S.S. - 07-27-2016

As a film producer, I'm constantly looking for new thoughts/ideas for the directors I work with on projects. So, my question to the community, "what scares you"? As simple or complicated as one wishes.

RE: What Scares You? - CrashHeadroom - 07-27-2016

Hmmm....in-human movements and slow, super natural movements. Like something slowly coming at you down a dark hallway, lightning going off outside the windows...every flash and its a foot closer to you type of thing.

Anything with horrible, random mutation (ergo "The Thing"), stuff that distorts the human, or indeed any familiar form to its limits and beyond....

Parasetic organisms. I don't think that one needs explaning XD. Hope this helps.

RE: What Scares You? - Macgyverthehero - 07-27-2016

Well, a few things...

Shipwrecks, especially old ones are scary to look at for me. Just imagine approaching one in murky waters (not to mention in water everything looks a bit zoomed in so it's smaller then it actually looks) and the wreck slowly materializing in view. Not to mention the thought of how it could have sunk is creepy enough.

An extra thing relating to underwater stuff is just being in the ocean or in a very deep pool, and then looking into the water to see nothing below me but (murky) darkness.

Statues. Not every statue scares me, however usually a statue from a culture or religion (e.g. china, buddism, hinduism) tend to creep me out. Gothic statues can be scary to me like Gargoyles for example, if you ever saw that one scene in Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) you'll know what I mean (also, statues coming to life and moving unnaturally with like stop motion for example, scares me.)

Lastly, animatronics. 'Nuff said.

RE: What Scares You? - Mudbill - 07-27-2016

I think psycological things creep me out a lot. But it's hard to pinpoint exactly what that would include because it could be anything if done right. Thinking what might have happened to someone experiencing a certain situation without actually seeing the situation can be very frightening. It's kinda like how SOMA did it, but you'd need to be engaged in the story to pick up on that.

RE: What Scares You? - A.M Team - 07-27-2016

Deformities.

Look up harlequin babies: those children are the most upsetting and disturbing things that really gets under my skin. It isn't limited to humans either, have you seen the pig with a human face? Confused

I also do not like grimy 80's video footage. Maybe it was because I was scared by it when I was little but they usually give me an uncomfortable feeling.

RE: What Scares You? - Mudbill - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 01:07 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: Look up harlequin babies:

HELLSPAWNS! DEMONS! PUT IT DOWN! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

RE: What Scares You? - CrashHeadroom - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 06:32 AM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: Shipwrecks, especially old ones are scary to look at for me. Just imagine approaching one in murky waters (not to mention in water everything looks a bit zoomed in so it's smaller then it actually looks) and the wreck slowly materializing in view. Not to mention the thought of how it could have sunk is creepy enough.

I agree on this one. Add in things like being stuck inside a submarine thats sinking too...I mean a boat going down you can swim away from but a sub is a submersible coffin, lol.

Also, water filled quarry's must be nightmare fuel to you sir, especially ex-chalk pits "suuurrrender to the bluuuuuuue. Join us Macguyver....we can make you FLOOOOOAAAT".

RE: What Scares You? - Slanderous - 07-27-2016

Death. Death and what happens after, whether there's afterlife, reincarnation or nothing. I fear for the thought of ink blackness surrounding me after I pass away. I dread for the thought of being buried alive, and I panic when I imagine the concept of eternal damnation and picture myself as the victim, endlessly mutilated and tortured. I fear falling asleep and never waking up.

Besides that I have cynophobia, the fear of dogs. It's not severe, but it still is present and slightly affects my life. My parents had to put our dog to a shelter because I was literally freaking out when I'd hear its barks at night. Nowdays I only fear the bigger breeds, puppies or the smaller ones generally aren't freaking me out but I still feel uncomfortable if I stay around them for an excessive amount of time.

RE: What Scares You? - Macgyverthehero - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 05:44 PM)CrashHeadroom Wrote: Also, water filled quarry's must be nightmare fuel to you sir, especially ex-chalk pits "suuurrrender to the bluuuuuuue. Join us Macgyver....we can make you FLOOOOOAAAT".

I swam in a cenote in Cancun, Mexico once. It was quite scary when I looked into the water with goggles on and saw nothing under my feet but darkness and catfish.

So yes, a water filled quarry is nightmare fuel.

Funny thing is, I kinda expected SOMA to freak me out since it takes place underwater, but it didn't have that zoomed-in perspective when underwater which I think took away the scariness from the underwater segments.

RE: What Scares You? - Yuhaney - 07-27-2016

The known presence of an unknown.

After the unknown becomes known, it can be analyzed and studied. Therefore what I experienced in the past as a threat is no longer scary due to knowledge of how it does and why it does or doesn't. Fear turns into respect or admiration and you act accordingly to avoid problems.

Something that resembles human 80-95%, but something is slightly but seriously off.

For example I hated the twitching heads in Afraid of Monsters, but after a certain amount of time I had gained enough experience to conclude that the twitching itself did absolutely nothing thus that lost it's effect for the most part.