Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier (/thread-5398.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - Gunslingerjh - 01-06-2013

I agree on the chase music thing.
If you just got away from a monster all you have to do is wait for the music to stop and you know you are safe again..

Silence can make your mind go crazy!

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - GoldenFalcon101 - 01-06-2013

If, by any chance, there was an invisible monster just slowly following you. You can hear it echoing your footsteps or gently whispering threats or whatever. And just when you get used to it, it attacks you. After a while it has to return to i dunno, being invisible or whatever, but you know that if you make one wrong move that annoys or angers it, you're dead.
That's probably a very bad idea, but it's the only one I've got c':

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - FlawlessHappiness - 01-06-2013

(01-06-2013, 09:10 PM)GoldenFalcon101 Wrote: If, by any chance, there was an invisible monster just slowly following you. You can hear it echoing your footsteps or gently whispering threats or whatever. And just when you get used to it, it attacks you. After a while it has to return to i dunno, being invisible or whatever, but you know that if you make one wrong move that annoys or angers it, you're dead.
That's probably a very bad idea, but it's the only one I've got c':

That sounds pretty nice for a new (Maybe small) indie game

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 01-06-2013

The Rock Worm Wrote:Making new enemies smart enough to check the closets and such would be excellent!
...and then? Wink I mean, what happens after it checks the closet? With the monster right in front of him, the player has nowhere to run, so he just gets insta-killed. Wouldn't this make the whole mechanic of hiding somewhere pretty pointless?

You could maybe make it so that the monster would randomly check one of several hiding spots in a room, but never the one the player is in... players would eventually see through that trick of course, but hey, thats always the case with AI isn't it?

I guess it could also maybe make for an effective scare, if it was used exactly once. Like, you've been hiding successfully from stupid monsters throughout the game and suddenly you happen upon a smarter one that you just can't escape from. Even if you hide in a closet, it will eventually find you and knock you out. Except that, unbeknownst to you, that's actually a planned part of the story and you wake up in a cell or whatever instead of respawning... with your faith in closets forever destroyed even though it will never happen again Big Grin

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - felixmole - 01-06-2013

(01-06-2013, 09:53 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Like, you've been hiding successfully from stupid monsters throughout the game and suddenly you happen upon a smarter one that you just can't escape from.
They've done it... in Justine Big Grin

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 01-07-2013

Quote: They've done it... in Justine [Image: biggrin.gif]
You mean
Spoiler below!
Malo in the Sewers? He sure was a surprise! But he was more fast and strong, not really smart...I guess Big Grin And you could escape them all eventually.

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - The Rock Worm - 01-08-2013

Let's see, things to make Amnesia scarier. How about...

1: Make the Shadow a Shoggoth-style monster. It moves like one, and it leaves the 'slime' we see in the game (as it's still a part of it, eyes and everything). So it chases you down and blocks the way it come at the same time!

2: Have the Gatherers carry Lanterns so that they can spot you better.

3: Make the Kaernk be a kind of Siren or Will-o if-the-Wisp. It draws you in with either light or an attractive voice, then lunges for you once you're in range.

4: See strange hallucinations while very low sanity. Items growing legs and scurry away, monsters running through walls towards you, corpses and skeletons coming to life and chasing you, walls closing in on you, that type of stuff.

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - MyRedNeptune - 01-08-2013

(01-08-2013, 12:44 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: 2: Have the Gatherers carry Lanterns so that they can spot you better.

I love this idea. Big Grin I feel like it would give them much more character and depth rather than representing the simple gameplay side of the game that they do now. I fear they would look obnoxious running with in though, plus they would be less stealthy. Sad So maybe only a few unique instances in which the monsters would have carried lanterns would have been the best option. Smile

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - The Rock Worm - 01-08-2013

(01-08-2013, 01:10 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 12:44 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: 2: Have the Gatherers carry Lanterns so that they can spot you better.

I love this idea. Big Grin I feel like it would give them much more character and depth rather than representing the simple gameplay side of the game that they do now. I fear they would look obnoxious running with in though, plus they would be less stealthy. Sad So maybe only a few unique instances in which the monsters would have carried lanterns would have been the best option. Smile

How about a new Gatherer called a 'Searcher' that carries a lantern. With the Lantern, very good eyesight and has great hearing, but low attack strength. Once it sees you, it summons (spawns) a Grunt or Brute to chase you!

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - PutraenusAlivius - 01-08-2013

(01-08-2013, 01:36 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 01:10 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:

How about a new Gatherer called a 'Searcher' that carries a lantern. With the Lantern, very good eyesight and has great hearing, but low attack strength. Once it sees you, it summons (spawns) a Grunt or Brute to chase you!
The idea for the Searcher is good, but if the Grunt that the Searcher spawned spawns at a far, but random place (Grunt spawns in Room IX, while the Searcher and Daniel is at Room XXI), you can outrun the Grunt and the Searcher AND also find a hiding spot under 20 seconds (if someone escapes from a Grunt under 20 seconds, THAT WILL BE GREAT!)