Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier (/thread-5398.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - The chaser - 01-11-2013

In addition to what I said, this would allow players to play the same story with different monster events, so you could play the story time and time again and you would be (almost never) bored. It would be cool too that the puzzles were random too: In a level a hammer-chipper puzzle and, in another story, a pression plate puzzle.

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 01-11-2013

Yeah and while we're at it, why not randomize the story, too. Just have tons of story snippets and play them in random order, Dear Esther - style. And make it so that every time you play, your character has a different name and backstory. All other characters in the story are randomly generated, too, of course, including a random face, name and body generator.

Same goes for the monsters, they are generated with random body parts like they did it in Spore. And make the order of levels random, too. And the levels themselves, have them be generated randomly like Diablo did it. Level Exit is opened by a random item, found at a random place somewhere in the level.
It's gonna be awesome. We'll call it Randomesia - the Generic Descent. Wink

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - PutraenusAlivius - 01-11-2013

(01-10-2013, 02:30 PM)The chaser Wrote: It would be good that, in some levels, when you knew there were monsters, they spawned randomly: I will explain myself now:

In Left 4 Dead, zombies aren't programmed. It's a zombie generator that makes random zombies (random face, random blood in some parameters). What I mean is that, since a moment that the player knew there were monsters, that in the 1-15 levels they spawned randomly. For a "Player 1" monsters would spawn at 2, 4, 5, 8, 13, 15. For another player "Player 2", they would spawn at 1, 3, 5, 8, 13, 14.

That would add randomness and naturality to the game.

Post #160, Buddy.

Another Suggestion
---
1. No Monster Despawns.
- Monster's always despawn. This makes the player when it's safe. To have the monster wandering is always creepy....
(NOTE: it would be annoying instead scary, but what if it wandered away to some far location..)

2. Fast Running Monsters
- The current monster (The Grunt, not Brute.) is always slow and quite easy to overrun, but if the speed is the same, that would be scary.

3. Monster Destroy anything.
- The Monsters sometimes are throwed a item (crate, barrel) if they destroy it, that would be creepy since every you throw they destroy.]
---
EXPECTATION: All is VERY annoying instead of scary.
Hope it's good.
EDIT: DOUBLE POST!

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - The Rock Worm - 01-11-2013

(01-11-2013, 12:32 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Post #160, Buddy.

Another Suggestion
---
1. No Monster Despawns.
- Monster's always despawn. This makes the player when it's safe. To have the monster wandering is always creepy....
(NOTE: it would be annoying instead scary, but what if it wandered away to some far location..)

2. Fast Running Monsters
- The current monster (The Grunt, not Brute.) is always slow and quite easy to overrun, but if the speed is the same, that would be scary.

3. Monster Destroy anything.
- The Monsters sometimes are throwed a item (crate, barrel) if they destroy it, that would be creepy since every you throw they destroy.]
---
EXPECTATION: All is VERY annoying instead of scary.
Hope it's good.
EDIT: DOUBLE POST!
All are great ideas! I always thought, as part of your 'Monsters destroy everything' that not only can they break down doors, but also the walls!

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - felixmole - 01-11-2013

Or, even better (and more realistic), they can break down the level doors.

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - The Rock Worm - 01-11-2013

(01-11-2013, 03:59 PM)felixmole Wrote: Or, even better (and more realistic), they can break down the level doors.

Cool! Then the player wouldn't know where was a 'safe place' Smile

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - The chaser - 01-11-2013

(01-11-2013, 03:59 PM)felixmole Wrote: Or, even better (and more realistic), they can break down the level doors.

This would be actually hard to implement:

Level doors are what makes the player leave the level:

The Back Hall and the storage, for example. They are two very different environments. If the monster broke the level door, what would happen?

They made level doors big and with a hard appearance for a reason: It was just like telling the player that door was indestructible.

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - felixmole - 01-11-2013

Well, for example on a certain chase it would be interesting to have a level door broken down. Something of that kind is suggested in TDD where the water monster gets inside the cellar maze and starts chasing you.

Or simply monsters banging on the doors without it to be actually dangerous.

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - Deep One - 01-11-2013

(01-11-2013, 05:03 PM)felixmole Wrote: Or simply monsters banging on the doors without it to be actually dangerous.

That's a good one. I shat my pants when that happened in Black Plague

RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - MysticWind - 01-12-2013

IMO, it was not so much the monsters that made it scary. It was the surrounding atmosphere and not knowing what to expect next which is the scary part. Like exploring alot of rooms was very un-nerving, and there ended up being nothing in them. I have not finished the game as yet, but I think the addition of a forest you have to go through would be great (As you saw when walking across the outer window ledges). I think that dark forest would be so un-nerving to progress through, especially if monster spawns were added in the right place. (Or a hunting pack of grunts with dogs)
Also, with the monster spawns.. when you hide you wait until the search music dies away because you know the monsters gone. I think it would be quite terrifying to do that but leave a monster there later in the game, so the player thinks the monsters gone and then wahhhhhhhh Big Grin
A grunt chained to the ceiling. No one ever expects things from above.
More thorough searches.
As someone has already said, mirrors, but when you look into it you see a monster behind you, leap around and there's nothing there.
I've seen quite a few people bringing up the idea of weapons, give them a gun with a couple of shots, so when they have a monster encounter, they turn out to be blanks Big Grin