Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia killed the horror genre - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia killed the horror genre (/thread-5577.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - BSTFRusZ13 - 02-07-2011

they must make the new one with more scary gameplay

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Gharren - 02-08-2011

(02-07-2011, 05:00 AM)BSTFRusZ13 Wrote: they must make the new one with more scary gameplay

Just a bit scarier and some people will shit bricks.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Xanatos - 02-08-2011

Shit bricks? I know people who shat out entire houses whilst playing Amnesia.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Gharren - 02-08-2011

(02-08-2011, 07:23 AM)Xanatos Wrote: Shit bricks? I know people who shat out entire houses whilst playing Amnesia.

Sounds painful o.o
Big Grin

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - ChrisR91 - 02-10-2011

I get sick and tired of people saying how scary Alan Wake, or Dead Space (I hear it from my girlfriend so much that it annoys the hell out of me). Both fun games with great atmosphere, just one problem. Your character is just as powerful as say any iconic movie horror villain. What Amnesia did perfectly is having you like a main character from a horror movie who must overcome all the horrors while living through the pain that can't be undone.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Tanshaydar - 02-10-2011

Yeah yeah, exactly what you say. Now you can shut up and go to your corner.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Vivec - 02-10-2011

This should be renamed the Dead Space 2 vs Amnesia thread. Jeez. ;P

On topic, though, I wouldn't go so far as to say it killed the horror genre. It just put into perspective how many "horror" games didn't really scare you so much as give you gore and really ugly enemies to fight. There are plenty of things that I'm sure will scare me. The Cradle from Thief 3, Ravenholm from HL2 (sometimes!) and so forth. I would actually say Amnesia has revived the horror genre, because now the zombie shooters might have some competition from psychological horror and survival horror. I mean survival horror, not kill-everyone-with-a-huge-gun horror.

My two cents. =P

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Sel - 02-10-2011

(02-10-2011, 06:40 PM)Vivec Wrote: On topic, though, I wouldn't go so far as to say it killed the horror genre. It just put into perspective how many "horror" games didn't really scare you so much as give you gore and really ugly enemies to fight.

^^^^^^^

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Mexxi - 02-11-2011

(02-10-2011, 04:22 PM)ChrisR91 Wrote: I get sick and tired of people saying how scary Alan Wake, or Dead Space (I hear it from my girlfriend so much that it annoys the hell out of me). Both fun games with great atmosphere, just one problem. Your character is just as powerful as say any iconic movie horror villain.

i get sick and tired of people saying how scary amnesia is. true it has great atmosphere, but unless you're a 14 year old girl it can't really scare. its repetitive gameplay style kills any anticipation.

(02-10-2011, 04:22 PM)ChrisR91 Wrote: What Amnesia did perfectly is having you like a main character from a horror movie who must overcome all the horrors while living through the pain that can't be undone.

pain that can't be undone? whatever that means...amnesia forces you to run away. you don't have to face your fears and that is what's truly scary. play some zombie missions of dark project, or shalebridge cradle from deadly shadows and you'll know what real fear is. amnesia can't hold a candle to those experiences in terms of scariness. even the stone age old alone in the dark 2 is more scary than amnesia, because you have to face monsters with only little to attack and without knowing if you survive. there's no holding your hand, no respawning after you've been killed and no removing the monsters for you if you just die enough.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Tanshaydar - 02-11-2011

Joker here.