Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia killed the horror genre - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia killed the horror genre (/thread-5577.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - NGW - 01-31-2011

Silent Hill wasn't scary. Good games, but I didn't find them scary at all honestly.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Frontcannon - 01-31-2011

There is a difference between

(01-31-2011, 10:40 PM)NGW Wrote: Silent Hill wasn't scary.

and

(01-31-2011, 10:40 PM)NGW Wrote: but I didn't find them scary at all honestly.

Learn it!

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - NGW - 02-01-2011

Someone shouldn't have to put IMO at the end of everything they say for someone to state their opinion.

....IMO

Anyways, anyone that's been left jaded on the genre after Amnesia, I recommend checking out Cryostasis. It's about as close to Frictional Games quality as any horror game has been really. The little boat ride in chapter 2 is especially eerie.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - CHANCEPHOENIX - 02-01-2011

@ Zoridium JackL

yEAH , cuz i can remember the scary situation i was in at the points were those gifs were made Smile

Anyway , I play games like these totally in the dark with eyes glued to the screen with Surround-headphones on (volume on 60 , wich is really loud on headphones) and trust me ...

THAT"s very SCARY ....

...at least for me it is.

er .... and about DeadSpace 2 and Amnesia being a similar style of horror game ?

well , they BOTH scared me shitless (remember that i play them in the dark with surround-headphones on).

only difference is that DS is third-person.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - NGW - 02-01-2011

Dead Space (1 and the abysmal 2) isn't the same genre as Amnesia. It's a third person shooter. It has horror elements, sure, but it's an action game, it's a shooter, and the second has ****ing multiplayer of all things (thanks EA -_-), it's not the same genre as Amnesia, not even close.

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - kailip - 02-01-2011

(02-01-2011, 12:10 AM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: ...bla...

...only difference is that DS is third-person.

So the problem is with you... I also play in the dark and with loud and nice headphones, and even with the fact that amnesia is a easier game, it scared me very fucking much, and in dead space i'm just "meh, cheap scare. meh, retarded monster, 2-shoots kill. meh..."

Not that Dead Space 2 is bad, but its NOT SCARY! if you are scared with Dead Space 2, try watching Barbie. You'll shit your pants.

Barbie ???

lol , i"m a dude , NOT a girl ...

anyway , guess i"m NOT seeing videogames as mere games then.

To me , playing a game is almost living it , THAT"s why it scares me THAT much.

But as allways , some people don"T get scared wutever they do or play , OR are just not that immersed enough in the gameworld as the Developers want them to be Wink

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - Zoridium JackL - 02-01-2011

(02-01-2011, 12:11 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: Barbie ???

lol , i"m a dude , NOT a girl ...

anyway , guess i"m NOT seeing videogames as mere games then.

To me , playing a game is almost living it , THAT"s why it scares me THAT much.

But as allways , some people don"T get scared wutever they do or play , OR are just not that immersed enough in the gameworld as the Developers want them to be Wink

i think you are taking dead space too seriously... it's not a horror game, in any respect, sure it CAN be scary, but that doesn't make it a horror game.

@ Zoridium JackL

just surf the web and 9 out of 10 times you"ll find that people find DeadSpace a Horror game ...

i"m also member of this Survival-Horror game-site and it"s also on the list :

http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/list.php

@ NGW

True , DS is third person.
Best game that can compare to Amnesia is the first-person masterpiece " Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth"

* Sigh ... I nearly died playing that game Sad *

RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre - mattwestwick - 02-01-2011

I will need to try the Cthulhu game. Hopefully you get to kill Justin Bieber at some point.