Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop (/thread-6043.html)

Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - lpadvent - 01-04-2011

Okay, so, as of so far, I haven't found any answers to this problem, though I've tried many solutions. I have a Presario CQ50 with a Nvidia GeForce 8200M G graphics card, running Windows 7 Professional.

I downloaded Amnesia from Steam, and at first the launcher wasn't working. I tried the trick with changing the exe name to Launcher, but that didn't seem to work. (I actually made a copy, moved the original out, and put the copy in place, as I didn't want the original messed up if I did something wrong.)

Anyway, it didn't work. I tried verifying my local files. I tried patching. Still nothing.

Whatever hpl file, or whatever you need me to post for you guys, let me know. Any way that I can get this amazing game to work will be welcome!

Thank you.

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - Bek - 01-04-2011

Ok, I might know the answer to this one..

When you go to run the game in steam, does the 'preparing to launch Amnesia.." box appear briefly before disappearing? That happened to a friend trying to launch Overture and re installing Open AL drivers did the trick. They might be somewhere in the steam directory for the game.

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - Chopper - 01-04-2011

If your laptop has a Integrated graphics card I have really bad news. The game will not work. If you have a desktop your should install it on that.

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - jens - 01-04-2011

Try and download new drivers from nvidia.com for your 8200M and see if updating the drivers help.

If not post the hpl.log file from My Documents/Amnesia/Main/

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - lpadvent - 01-04-2011

Okay, I've found an OpenAL32.dll file in the Amnesia directory, if that is the driver you were talking about, but I do not know how to go about reinstalling it.

I have recently downloaded and installed the most recent drivers for my graphics card, still no go.

I looked it up and it looks (as far as I can tell) that the GeForce 8200M G is not an integrated graphics card.

Now here I'll post the hpl.

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - jens - 01-05-2011

Have you tried running in window mode?

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - lpadvent - 01-05-2011

(01-05-2011, 08:31 AM)jens Wrote: Have you tried running in window mode?

Yes. No dice.

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - lpadvent - 01-23-2011

Yeah, so I still can't get it to work. Did anyone have any other ideas as to why it won't work? When I use 'Can You Run It', it tells me my computer should be able to run it fine, but, for some reason it just won't. Sad

RE: Can't get Amnesia to work on laptop - xiphirx - 01-23-2011

'Can You Run It' is horrible. I wouldn't trust them.