Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Alan Wake - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Alan Wake (/thread-6082.html)

Pages: 1 2

Alan Wake - Shev - 01-06-2011

Some main stream horror game I heard of that apparently mostly boasted about being all different and going against the grain and stuff.

This being that:
They have a new combat system with flashlights and crap that makes the game scarier (kinda like in luigi's mansion, except with magnum revolvers instead of vacuum cleaners)
Focusing on the story (which I hear is mostly ripped off from steven kings stuff, and I think they even the main character IN GAME actually says it too like "This is just like the shining")
And something about atmosphere (being in the woods for 3 hours)

Honestly though, I was kinda looking forward to it but from a few sources (friends, and some Australian guy who reviews games) said it pretty much sucked in all these category's.

Anyone wanna ever play this game and want to say whether or not this is true?

RE: Alan Wake - Sexbad - 01-06-2011

It's pretty bad and not scary, which is a problem!

I was rather disappointed in it when I got it for Christmas. It constantly tells you stuff that you can figure out for yourself and it constantly shows you stuff that ruins the atmosphere. It literally moves the camera away from you whenever a monster appears and shows said monster. Sometimes it even narrates the fact that you're seeing a monster.

I won't even get started on the story that deliberately spoils itself.

RE: Alan Wake - Penumbra - 01-06-2011

I played a little of this game, but I couldn't get into it. I thought since they spent so long making it that it would be the scariest game ever, but it wasn't my cup of tea..

RE: Alan Wake - Yuhaney - 01-09-2011

It wasn't going to be a horror game at all. More like an "thriller".
Personally, I'd say it's one of the best Xbox 360 games.

Idea for story was great, gameplay was great, and the sound effects were great as well.

RE: Alan Wake - Tanshaydar - 02-04-2011

If you by any chance intend to play DLC's and if you want to a good (not best or very good) story you can buy it, because The Writer DLC is the best part on whole game.

RE: Alan Wake - SHODANFreeman - 02-04-2011

I like the game and thought it was fun, but the camera literally pointing out every single monster as they appear was pretty terrible.

RE: Alan Wake - wayfareangel - 02-05-2011

There is a really beautiful song from this game called 'The Poet and the Muse.' If nothing else good comes out of this game, I'm still glad we got that song ^_^

RE: Alan Wake - Taken6243 - 02-14-2011

The thing that people don't get is that it's NOT A HORROR GAME. Remedy said it themselves on the forum, it's a THRILLER. It's meant to invest you in the story and try out new ways of gunplay. It was one of the greatest games I have played on the 360 for a while now.

I know, I know, I should calm down. But I hate it when people call it a horror game. And Xbox Magazine giving it "Best Horror Game" is just embarassing.

RE: Alan Wake - kailip - 02-14-2011

(02-14-2011, 01:55 AM)Taken6243 Wrote: The thing that people don't get is that it's NOT A HORROR GAME. Remedy said it themselves on the forum, it's a THRILLER. It's meant to invest you in the story and try out new ways of gunplay. It was one of the greatest games I have played on the 360 for a while now.

I know, I know, I should calm down. But I hate it when people call it a horror game. And Xbox Magazine giving it "Best Horror Game" is just embarassing.

ok

but its still a bad game.

RE: Alan Wake - Sexbad - 02-14-2011

(02-14-2011, 03:18 AM)kailip Wrote:
(02-14-2011, 01:55 AM)Taken6243 Wrote: The thing that people don't get is that it's NOT A HORROR GAME. Remedy said it themselves on the forum, it's a THRILLER. It's meant to invest you in the story and try out new ways of gunplay. It was one of the greatest games I have played on the 360 for a while now.

ok

but its still a bad game.