Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? (/thread-6227.html)

Pages: 1 2

Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - Shev - 01-16-2011

I looked at the wiki to see how to set up a dev environment, however this only makes it so that when you run the game it loads out of the map directly, not the custom story itself. Which creates a minor problem for me.

I was wondering if I could get it to just run a custom story instead of just a map.

Also when I minimize the game my mouse shoots up in the upper left hand corner of the screen, which means I have to close the game out and load it again, because with the mouse up there its literally impossible to do anything.

RE: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - GraphicsKid - 01-16-2011

Run it in windowed mode (change this in the options menu). Then to use the mouse outside the game, just pause it or bring up the (f1) debug menu.

EDIT: And yes, I too was actually about to ask the EXACT same question here: can we setup a dev environment for a custom story?

EDIT2: Well okay not the EXACT same thing, but how do you get it to run a map from within a custom story's directory?

RE: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - Neatherblade - 01-16-2011

Got to custom_story_settings.cfg and change StartMap="YOURMAP.map"

RE: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - DIGI Byte - 01-16-2011

Honestly, the Dev environment isn't that necessary, all you really need is to enable the debug menu (F1)
this will keep the game behaving like it normally would, while still having the debug menu

RE: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - Shev - 01-16-2011

(01-16-2011, 11:27 AM)DIGI Byte Wrote: Honestly, the Dev environment isn't that necessary, all you really need is to enable the debug menu (F1)
this will keep the game behaving like it normally would, while still having the debug menu
There was a problem with that, but it should be resolved now thanks to this

(01-16-2011, 03:07 AM)GraphicsKid Wrote: Run it in windowed mode (change this in the options menu). Then to use the mouse outside the game, just pause it or bring up the (f1) debug menu.

Also, to keep the thread count lower I'll just ask this here, is it possible to give the player some tinderboxes or something when he starts the game? I was going to do it on the first time entering the entrance area, but thought it'd be smoother if I just had a global.hps (which doens't work) and use
Code:
void OnGameStart()
{
}

Smoother as in the entrance area might change a lot, so it'd probably be easier and have less likely to screw up on me doing it this way (as in forgetting to delete the line from the last entrance areas)

RE: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - Tottel - 01-16-2011

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tutorials/script/disable_gravity_tutorial

It's in the very, very first scripting tutorial that you find.

RE: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - Shev - 01-16-2011

(01-16-2011, 04:56 PM)Tottel Wrote: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tutorials/script/disable_gravity_tutorial

It's in the very, very first scripting tutorial that you find.

(01-16-2011, 03:57 PM)Shev Wrote: I was going to do it on the first time entering the entrance area, but thought it'd be smoother if I just had a global.hps (which doens't work) and use
Smoother as in the entrance area might change a lot, so it'd probably be easier and have less likely to screw up on me doing it this way (as in forgetting to delete the line from the last entrance areas)

I know of that, but I want to see if its possible to get something like a global.hps to work so that it'd be a lot easier than having to change the script for each area.

RE: Possible to set up a dev environment for a custom story instead of map? - Tottel - 01-16-2011

By area, I assume you mean areas within ONE map?

(01-16-2011, 05:18 PM)Tottel Wrote: By area, I assume you mean areas within ONE map?

Oh sorry. Let me clarify.

I want the character to start out with a couple tinderboxes, however I'm probably going to be changing the entrance area (the area that you enter the custom mod in) a lot, so I think it would be a lot easier to have it so that you get your tinderboxes when you start the custom mod, instead of going into the area because then I don't have to worry about accidentally leaving the script in x-map, and starting out in y-map. SO when I join y-map, and go to x-map I get twice as many tinderboxes as I should have.

Well, yes.. That's what the scripting tutorial does. It gives you the 10 tinderboxes as soon as you start the map.

.. Or I'm still completely misunderstanding you. In that case, sorry. ^^