Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Full conversion - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Full conversion (/thread-6259.html)

Pages: 1 2

Full conversion - Thomas - 01-17-2011

I have been told that some had problems with full conversions but when I tried it out myself all worked as far as I could tell (tried changing values and so on).

The trick is that you need to use the entire relative path as input. For example, to load the default file you would use:
config/main_init.cfg

I tried this with a different file and it seemed to be using the new file, but i might be missing some setting that is not working as it should.

I would use a .bat file with the following contents:

Amnesia.exe config/test_main_init.cfg

(with "config/test_main_init.cfg" being the file you want to use of course.)
Also attaching the file in a zip just so all is clear.

Hope this helps! Else post about problems and i will see what I can do.

RE: Full conversion - Tottel - 01-17-2011

Hello and thanks. Smile

I tried to replicate this, and it still won't work. I do something obvious like changing the player height, speed or intensity of the 'nightvision', but nothing happens.

My structure looks like this:

1. I have a .bat file in the main directory. In it is:
Amnesia.exe config/test_main_init.cfg

2. in my config folder, I have test_main_init.cfg. It's a copy of the original, with the only difference that "Game" points to test_game.cfg in stead of game.cfg

3. In test_game.cfg I did the changes.

4. I load up Amnesia by double-clicking the .bat file (I have the steam version.. is that a problem?)

5. I start up my custom story, and see nothing happening. When I try 'continue' with the Singleplayer, it's the same: No changes.

I have no clue what's wrong. :/

RE: Full conversion - Thomas - 01-17-2011

Post "hpl.log"

I did not check so the game.cfg was possible to change, so that might be the problem.

EDIT: Checked the code and as far as I can tell it is set through the init file. Gonna try changing it myself.

I tried now and it worked just as it should. I basically did what you did so I am not sure what might be wrong for you.

I have already described how I changed the main_init.cfg file.

What I then did was to rename game.cfg to test_game.cfg

changed
Quote:Game = "config/game.cfg"
in "test_main_init.cfg" to
Quote:Game = "config/test_game.cfg"

And then in test_game.cfg I changed
Quote:FOV = "70"
to
Quote:FOV = "30"

Loaded up a level, and it worked! I had zoom vision Smile

OK, I did some further testing and removed the orginal files (main_init.cfg and game.cfg). Now, it won't even start up the game, saying:

ERROR: Unable to open config file 'config/main_init.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!

Eventhough I launch it from the .batch file with the new config. :/

.. I can just sense one of those "Omg, how embarrassing, I'm sorry I didn't see that", coming up soon.

RE: Full conversion - xiphirx - 01-17-2011

Thomas, this seems to be an issue with the steam versions of the game.

Tried it, and you are very correct. It is steam problem. They always run the launcher even if you run Amnesia.exe. Thus we need to get the launcher to call with the right commandline or similar.

I will check and see what can be done about it, but cannot promise anything soon.

RE: Full conversion - xiphirx - 01-17-2011

(01-17-2011, 11:10 PM)Thomas Wrote: Tried it, and you are very correct. It is steam problem. They always run the launcher even if you run Amnesia.exe. Thus we need to get the launcher to call with the right commandline or similar.

I will check and see what can be done about it, but cannot promise anything soon.

I've tried adding it as a launch option via steam, still didn't quite work...

(01-17-2011, 11:31 PM)xiphirx Wrote:
(01-17-2011, 11:10 PM)Thomas Wrote: Tried it, and you are very correct. It is steam problem. They always run the launcher even if you run Amnesia.exe. Thus we need to get the launcher to call with the right commandline or similar.

I've tried adding it as a launch option via steam, still didn't quite work...

I've tried taking one of the valve employees hostage, but that didn't work either. :/

Anyway, if it's a steam issue, and it's something only valve can fix, then we can only hope and wait.

RE: Full conversion - Urkle - 01-18-2011

I've looked into things further (and trying to figure out the "steam voodoo") and I may have found some workarounds and am verifying them with Valve to ensure they will work reliably.