Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Nvidia 3d Vision - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Nvidia 3d Vision (/thread-6278.html)

Nvidia 3d Vision - Zarniwoop - 01-18-2011

Hi.

Any possibility to support Nvidia 3d Vision? I know it's a tall order, since nvidia seems to be shunning opengl. This is one of the games I most want to see in real 3d, and believe would really add to the game.

The quickest way I can see this working, is to modify gldirect to work with your game.

I tried a search, and wasn't able to find any topic about this, so sorry if it was discussed previously.

RE: Nvidia 3d Vision - Rurikkur - 01-18-2011

Really? I thought the shaders and stuff was programmed in GLSL?

RE: Nvidia 3d Vision - Zarniwoop - 01-18-2011

(01-18-2011, 09:06 PM)Rurikkur Wrote: Really? I thought the shaders and stuff was programmed in GLSL?

I presume that might be a bit hard to implement in gldirect then. Sad I'm not a graphics programmer, so I have no idea of the scope of translating between the two API's.

RE: Nvidia 3d Vision - Spooder Wekd - 01-19-2011

(01-18-2011, 09:15 PM)Zarniwoop Wrote:
(01-18-2011, 09:06 PM)Rurikkur Wrote: Really? I thought the shaders and stuff was programmed in GLSL?

I presume that might be a bit hard to implement in gldirect then. Sad I'm not a graphics programmer, so I have no idea of the scope of translating between the two API's.

Graphics programming is a bitch! lol noone in their right mind would want to fool around with that once they are "done" with it...I know I always just get that out of the way first thing and never look back!

And I really doubt nVidia 3Dvision...well in Amnesia at least. There have been lots of requests for new features and stuff but Frictional are hard at work on their next game I suppose...

RE: Nvidia 3d Vision - mattwestwick - 01-19-2011

Since they are very big on single player (or so I assume), regular 3d vision might not be necessary since you can use camera tracking to give the window type virtual reality. Plus 3d glasses are silly.

RE: Nvidia 3d Vision - Spooder Wekd - 01-19-2011

(01-19-2011, 07:49 PM)mattwestwick Wrote: Since they are very big on single player (or so I assume), regular 3d vision might not be necessary since you can use camera tracking to give the window type virtual reality. Plus 3d glasses are silly.

Yea, I've seen people who simulate a 3D environment using head tracking. thats cool stuff! Don't know how well it would translate to a game in which you actually move around though...might take a hefty processor!

RE: Nvidia 3d Vision - mattwestwick - 01-20-2011

It's not hugely complicated but it's a bit of a brain melter getting the calibration done right. I'm trying to make a version that is simple and optimised so it runs fast.
You simply have the coordinates of yer head position control the viewpoint of the character.
Basically you extend from the vanishing point from the source in the gameworld, keeping the trajectory straight as it passes from the virtual focal point, to the screen, then to your eyes.

It works fine for stationary objects in a virtual space, like all the ones we have seen so far. So I will try to have moving objects and see if it works equally well. It should be fine but it's trivial compared to a game engine. Although really it's no different from using the mouse and keys (crouch,jump, etc.) to move the player around.

Where the processing actually comes in is video latency. The little delay from taking the camera feed and processing it into a matrix can make it feel a little sluggish. If you use audio software it's like midi latency, the delay needs to be tiny so it can be used in real-time.

Since there are potentially massive amounts of applications using camera tracking I can see video latency soon being minimised greatly without great cost.

The downside I can forsee is that in all the Virtual reality 3d examples they show off by swooping round the room to emphasise how it works. But who wants to do that for more than 5 minutes. Getting a similar effect while still being able to sit back and relax would be challenging. This is what might make it a non-starter since it's a lot of work to implement what is largely a novel feature.

RE: Nvidia 3d Vision - GraphicsKid - 01-22-2011

I'm all for 3d games! I have yet to experience one myself (waiting for price to go down & letting technology get refined), but for a game that strives to be an immersive experience, this could be amazing! Not only is the monster chasing you, but it is reaching out to get you, not just scratching against the panel like a pirhana behind bullet-proof glass. It's time for the monsters to escape the little black rectangle! Big Grin