Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (1.0.1 Final Out) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (1.0.1 Final Out) (/thread-645.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - fnf - 03-29-2007

The demo worked great on my laptop, although there are static noises, but
that was probably caused by the built-in Intel audio chipset, or OpenAL itself.

Will the full version of Linux be released March 30rd ?.

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - LinuxDonald - 03-29-2007

Can i hosting the Demo and Demo Patch file on my server as a mirror ?

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - Thomas - 03-29-2007

LinuxDonald Wrote:Can i hosting the Demo and Demo Patch file on my server as a mirror ?
EDIT: Please wait until we have a proper release and not a beta.

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - ys@kdetalk.net - 03-29-2007

Works ok here.

Kubuntu feisty. Nvidia FX5500 256MB. Sound Blaster Live!

Edit: Instructions to apply the patch are not accurate, however. The lib contents won't move into the existent lib folder. So, another step is neccessary:

mv whereeverthepatchis/lib/* whereeverthegameis/lib/*

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - avsa242 - 03-30-2007

None too quick on either of my setups (I'm sure this could be alleviated by changing settings...not knocking the game Smile )
Had the same issues as other folks: the install script needing to be modified and the narrator's voice being cut off at about the very last word each sentence. Those aside, the game runs well and looks like it will be a lot of fun. I'd certainly buy it when it became available and more finalized.

Compaq Presario v5303NR - ML32 Turion64 1.8, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, ATI IXP (Intel) alsa driver, Gentoo/Linux 2.6.19-gentoo-r5, fglrx 8.34.8

Giga-byte K8NS-Pro - Athlon64 3400+ 2.4, 3GB RAM, BFG nVidia GeForce 5500OC, nForce audio (game uses sb live though), Gentoo/Linux 2.6.18-gentoo-r4, nvidia 9746
(both 32bit land)

Curious about the sound...some mention of surround sound was made earlier this thread...does this game actually support it? That's something I've always been intrigued by. I've tried two other games that had surround sound support but the gameplay was so slow it wasn't worth having it enabled (one was the Doom3 demo...really kind of too much for either of my computers anyway). How does it work? Does it pass through DD or dts or something? Just curious...

Bottom line though, really neat game...like it a lot so far and would like to buy it some time.

Cheers,
Jesse

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - Diablo150 - 03-30-2007

When I'm launching this new beta of Penumbra, the game don't start because some libraries are use Glibc 2.4, incompatible with my Debian (x86_64).

I can solve the problem with my own libs on my system.

But, maybe it's possible to use some libs on hosting system and all of other on the game pack.

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - menace82 - 03-30-2007

The demo worked perfectly on my kubuntu 7.04 beta with nVidia 6600 LE and SB Live!. When can we expect the full linux version?

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - Thomas - 03-30-2007

menace82 Wrote:The demo worked perfectly on my kubuntu 7.04 beta with nVidia 6600 LE and SB Live!. When can we expect the full linux version?

We will release an optimized non-beta very soon and it should soon be available.

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - micks - 03-30-2007

Thomas Wrote:We will release an optimized non-beta very soon and it should soon be available.

The Linux demo looked amazing, should I buy the boxed/download version now, or wait for the Linux release proper (i.e. will the Linux version be sold separately or as a binary using the data from the Win version)?

Thanks for bringing this very promising game to Linux gamers!

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback - Thomas - 03-30-2007

micks Wrote:
Thomas Wrote:We will release an optimized non-beta very soon and it should soon be available.

The Linux demo looked amazing, should I buy the boxed/download version now, or wait for the Linux release proper (i.e. will the Linux version be sold separately or as a binary using the data from the Win version)?

Thanks for bringing this very promising game to Linux gamers!

I would wait for the proper Linux version. That way you are 100% there will be no problems.