Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) (/thread-6949.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Streetboat - 05-22-2011

As it happens, the scripting is so complex that saving games and checkpoints are impossible and would ruin the continuity, similar to how Frictional made Justine. The story isn't too long, however, and it takes me about 10 minutes to play through if I speed through all the puzzles. In the full version I will make autosaves. The house level with the dining hall and study is by far the most difficult, but once you make it out of there, you will be fine.

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - bobbo - 05-22-2011

(05-22-2011, 07:29 PM)Streetboat Wrote: Version 2

Nice one, I just played to the library real quick, seems like the buggy stuff is fixed. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it! Big Grin

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - plutomaniac - 05-22-2011

Well good thing I saved the game before the ladder part. With all the bugs I encountered imagine how many times I would have to restart the game. No offense though, I really like the story and of course the environment. I downloaded v2. Let's give it a try!

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Coyote - 05-22-2011

O.O this custom story is quite good...

i really enjoyed the beggining, simples with a good puzzle...

right now im at the library part
Spoiler below!
bloody well the books part really tricked me Oo well done

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - plutomaniac - 05-22-2011

(05-22-2011, 09:34 PM)Coyote Wrote: O.O this custom story is quite good...

Spoiler below!

Make sure you have the 2nd version of the demo because the first one is really buggy at the library part. Indeed, it is an awesome custom story!

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Nye - 05-22-2011

Truly awesome! You packed a lot of creativity into this demo; my only complaint would be that the player shouldnt have to extract the folders into their core-game folders...I like to keep the core game files separate from the custom story files; though it might be too late now, since you would have to go through each map and rename the directory of each custom item/sound to the folder within your custom story Tongue

I'll do that for my next custom story Tongue

By the time I figured all these things out, I had already packed a ton of entities into the map. This demo IS my first map, after all, and thus was a learning process.

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - DamnNoHtml - 05-23-2011

(05-22-2011, 07:29 PM)Streetboat Wrote:
Spoiler below!
As for the dagger, I was hoping that my subtle use of decals (bloody handprint over the heart) and the placement of ritualistic symbols would make it clear that the dagger was meant for that corpse. It worked in my mind, haha. In the final version I'll make it clearer, or perhaps even change that entire section. It is also part of the whole 'unanswered questions' part of the demo. Remember, this is just a teaser, meant to make you ask questions.

The problem wasn't that the dagger's intentions were hard to discover - when I picked it up the first thing I did was run back to Wilhelm's corpse. The problem is it isn't a believable action by the player's character. It breaks the game's story by forcing us to just be a player in a game as opposed to a character. For example, Daniel would have gotten the HELL out of Brennenburg once he saw a single monster, but he had a mission in mind. In this story, your character's only mission is escaping the cold. He has no reason to keep doing game-progressing things.

If you ever want some story help, send me a PM, as I am pretty good with them.

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Coyote - 05-23-2011

(05-22-2011, 10:22 PM)plutomaniac Wrote:
(05-22-2011, 09:34 PM)Coyote Wrote: O.O this custom story is quite good...

Spoiler below!

Make sure you have the 2nd version of the demo because the first one is really buggy at the library part. Indeed, it is an awesome custom story!

yeap i have that version,thanks for the concern Big Grin

Still testing
Spoiler below!
the dark corridors are giving me bad fellings ^^ can't see the end, haha.....( good way to screw up someones mind )