Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
How to make water? Help please =) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: How to make water? Help please =) (/thread-7195.html)

Pages: 1 2

How to make water? Help please =) - Simpanra - 04-04-2011

So yeah, as my long thought out and toiled voer title proclaims, i have no idea how to make water areas in Amnesia =3 i haven't found any tutorials on how to make it and i have looked but can't find it =/ I know you can because i have seen maps use it before, also...if you could explain to me how to then infest that water with lurkers, i would be very happy =D

Cheers Guys,
Apologies for any and all noobishness this thread contains,
Edd,

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Russ Money - 04-04-2011

(04-04-2011, 10:10 PM)Simpanra Wrote: So yeah, as my long thought out and toiled voer title proclaims, i have no idea how to make water areas in Amnesia =3 i haven't found any tutorials on how to make it and i have looked but can't find it =/ I know you can because i have seen maps use it before, also...if you could explain to me how to then infest that water with lurkers, i would be very happy =D

Cheers Guys,
Apologies for any and all noobishness this thread contains,
Edd,

I'll assume you know how to make a Primitive Plane, make one ABOVE your floor, about 0.75 higher, then browse for a different material. Click the ... next to the name of your current plane material.

Next browse to the Amnesia the dark descent root folder. From there goto textures\water

Here are all the water textures. Select your texture. To make it look better, click the tab called Plane once you have your Primitive laid and set the tile amount to 0.1, 1.0, 0.1.

After that, you'd make an Area, the Area Type being Liquid, place it at the same height as your water texture and make it as deep as your floor.

As for water lurkers, they're an Entity, under Enemies, just as the grunts and brutes.

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Simpanra - 04-05-2011

Aha! I see! Thank you very much =)
On a slight side note...is it possible to make lurkers on land? =)
Thanks,
Edd

EDIT;
What would happen if i made the water deeper than my character? (aka, a fully submerged room). Would the character die or float to the top? Or would the game crash?

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Pandemoneus - 04-05-2011

Nothing would happen. You wouldn't see the water texture (since the plane has only one visible surface). Sadly, there is no swimming in Amnesia like there was in Penumbra: Requiem.

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Simpanra - 04-05-2011

(04-05-2011, 10:31 AM)Pandemoneus Wrote: Nothing would happen. You wouldn't see the water texture (since the plane has only one visible surface). Sadly, there is no swimming in Amnesia like there was in Penumbra: Requiem.

Ah ok...but would items float? or don't items do that in amnesia? =)

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Mina Darsh - 04-05-2011

I guess the single sided water could be solved by making another plane, or pressing Ctrl + D while having the original selected to duplicate it, and turn it up-side-down. But I guess the water box does not give volumetric fog or any other watery effects. (Floating, possibility to drown, et cetera.)

I'd like this option to be added though to the engine, but dunno if Frictional has time and the will to do that. Smile Bet the new HPL engine keeps them very busy.

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - gandalf91 - 04-05-2011

That would look really sloppy...it would just appear as if there was upside down water over your head being contained between the walls and ceiling. Lol It wouldn't give the effect of actually being under water.

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Droopy - 04-05-2011

Best way to know for sure, if the forums aren't helping:
Check out the Cistern or Sewer levels

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Pandemoneus - 04-05-2011

(04-05-2011, 09:05 PM)Droopy Wrote: Best way to know for sure, if the forums aren't helping:
Check out the Cistern or Sewer levels

Invisible wall, already tried that when I played Amnesia the first time. Wink

RE: How to make water? Help please =) - Solarn - 04-05-2011

Checking out the original Amnesia levels is good advice in general. I'm learning level building and scripting that way, since I'm not good at following orders, so tutorials aren't much help for me. I can learn a lot from looking at the original levels and scripts though.