Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? (/thread-7279.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - Bek - 04-12-2011

Can't you fail that mental part though and continue as normal? Or am I totally wrong?

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - hollowleviathan - 04-12-2011

If you fail the mental obstacle, which is an allusion to your fortitude against the virus, it consumes you immediately and Clarence would take full control of your body and be just another nameless drone.

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - Yuhaney - 04-12-2011

Is this "mental obstacle" the end part in Black Plague where Hive mind puts you through those tests in your mind before it reveals it's true nature?

Actually, I just rechecked one thing and must say that I told one thing wrong... The end of Requiem do offer you two endings, but the other ending is not the beginning of Overture, it just means that you left the place instead of dying with Red.

Someone correct me if I got something wrong either in this or some other thing in my earlier post.

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - gandalf91 - 04-12-2011

(04-12-2011, 09:04 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: If you fail the mental obstacle, which is an allusion to your fortitude against the virus, it consumes you immediately and Clarence would take full control of your body and be just another nameless drone.

How many times does it take to fail?...I got most of those on the third to fourth try. Normal difficulty.

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - hollowleviathan - 04-12-2011

I thought we were talking about the mental obstacle course in Black Plague immediately prior to Clarence appearing in your head. Zoridium JackL mentioned that's why we develop a second personality in our head, and Bek wanted to know if you can fail that portion of the game and still continue; you cannot.

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - Phil66b - 05-07-2011

Between BP and Requiem is so hard to understand, because when the Tuurngait brings you back to the Examination Room at the end of BP, it looks like a moment back in time, but if you throw objects at walls, they just disappear. I'm flip-flopping between if it's an illusion, hallucination, or real? The computer's obviously real.

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - Ssschah - 05-07-2011

I had a lol moment in Penumbra overture... At the end when you see the shadow figure, i ran towards it as fast as i could and actually managed to run through it, and there were no doors on either side of me, but there was a script to end the game with you getting knocked out so I still got knocked out even though there were no doorsTongue lol

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - Phil66b - 05-07-2011

i have nothing to say
(04-12-2011, 12:58 PM)Scraper Wrote: Is this "mental obstacle" the end part in Black Plague where Hive mind puts you through those tests in your mind before it reveals it's true nature?

Actually, I just rechecked one thing and must say that I told one thing wrong... The end of Requiem do offer you two endings, but the other ending is not the beginning of Overture, it just means that you left the place instead of dying with Red.

Someone correct me if I got something wrong either in this or some other thing in my earlier post.

The boat scene actually is the place that happens during the first part of the out-of-body experience from Black Plague. Except nothing happens when you get the parts matched to the picture. The white flash and ringing ears probably means Philip is waking up or something.

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - Googolplex - 05-14-2011

Why can nobody clear it up from Frictional Games?
I have not understand all the story, too and wanted to knew it.
And it seems that nobody really recognize the story.

Jens or Thomas, please say us something about the story.
Or do you want, that the player not recognize it?
Is it right, that all the story is not clear?

RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions? - hollowleviathan - 05-14-2011

It's likely their intent that the story be murky and open to interpretation/wonder. While I don't like stories with major untied plots, mysterious elements or ambiguous elements keep things from getting stale or mundane.