Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
So I went back to Brood War... - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: So I went back to Brood War... (/thread-8109.html)

So I went back to Brood War... - samusaran253 - 05-18-2011

Yesterday I reinstalled StarCraft: Brood War and went on the original Battle.net for the first time in a very long time. I tried out both the US West and US East servers. However I must admit, I was rather disappointed. I remember playing this game all the time from like 2004 to 2008, like every day for 6 hours a day, even longer on weekends. There were like hundreds of millions of people playing then, and when you logged in there would be public channels numbering up to Brood War USA-25, and there were games every where, the Use Map Settings list had tons of games, and it would add more all the time. When I logged in just now there were only 125,000 people in a game, however that doesn't show the amount of people in public or private chat rooms. And the highest default channel with a lot of people in it was Brood War USA-5.

This is horrible, I remember when this was practically the most popular game in the world, in fact, Battle.net had more players than Xbox Live for many years, and still might have more in numbers of total accounts. But now it's just a shadow of it's former self. Nobody even plays melee anymore, though I guess there's not really much of a point now that Blizzard removed ladder (in like 2009), and so now we are stuck with basic stat-tracking that only tracks our wins/losses/draws for melee games, and we can't advance to ladder games. I see that people are still using bots to advertise their clans however, so at least there is still some clan activity going on, albeit, probably not as much as a few years ago.

I wonder if any people still make new maps for this game, I used to make tons of custom maps and even some mods, which was really cool, but now it seems that everyone is just playing the same stuff that we played a few years ago, only to a lesser extent. Does no one play any zombie games anymore? Those were the best, I pride myself on being a beta tester of and perhaps first person to ever beat Undead City, which even the map maker, who I was good friends with on Battle.net, had been unable to do. It took me a few hundred games to beat it, but I finally beat it, and damn was that an accomplishment.

The people were relatively friendly, albeit not as talkative as before. I only came across one internet tough guy, he claimed to be 22 years old, but I suspect he was 12, he kept talking about how he wanted to go beat up random people on the internet and was asking people for their address and stuff. He was probably a pedophile, come to think of it. There was also 1 guy who lagged, which I'm not even sure how that is possible, seeing as how I used to play using 56k dial-up and I almost never lagged.

By the way, does anyone know the name of that one map? The one where it's like Raccoon City and Undead City, but I think it's called "Dawn of the Dead" or something. It's where you're in a city with other players and there's AI police that attack the zombies, and if I recall correctly, there's like tanks (controlled by no one; p12) that form a barrier, similar to Raccoon City, but it's harder than Raccoon City. If anyone knows the name of this map, please let me know. All-in-all, it's still an infinitely better game than StarCraft II.

RE: So I went back to Brood War... - hollowleviathan - 05-18-2011

125,000 players is really good for a quite old and officially obsoleted game. If you tried to go online and play, say, Myth II: Soulblighter online, you'd probably not see 100 people peakhours.

RE: So I went back to Brood War... - spukrian - 05-18-2011

I played some StarCraft back in the day, but only singleplayer though. I did try Diablo 2 on Battle.net, quite fun.

RE: So I went back to Brood War... - samusaran253 - 05-19-2011

(05-18-2011, 11:04 PM)spukrian Wrote: I played some StarCraft back in the day, but only singleplayer though. I did try Diablo 2 on Battle.net, quite fun.

Diablo 1 on Battle.net was/is better, imho.

RE: So I went back to Brood War... - Redeemer - 05-27-2011

I experienced the same thing. Compared to what the numbers used to be, almost no one is online in Brood War anymore. They've probably all moved to Starcraft II, a bad thing for me because my PC can hardly run that game.

RE: So I went back to Brood War... - Kaymeerah - 05-28-2011

Actually there are a lot of SC players, but most of them moved to iCCup servers.