Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Penumbra: Overture - Text Walkthrough - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Hints, help and spoilers (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Penumbra: Overture - Text Walkthrough (/thread-859.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - pikacz - 04-09-2007

neat Smile so on which sites will we publish it? Thomas mentioned GameFaqs, i know IGN.com is a nice site with that kind of stuff. anything else?

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - SirRaven - 04-10-2007

Someone's already posted a real nice walkthrough on gamefaqs including ascii maps. This one could be submitted if revised to being a "no-spoiler walkthrough".

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - WindexGlow - 04-10-2007

Gfaqs requires word wrap to be off (So you have to press enter ) for their faqs, don't forget that.

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - Thaliur - 04-10-2007

Hmm, I just read the walkthrough on GameFAQs, and I don't really like it.
The author said it was impossible to kill the dog in the old mine, and even I managed to do this, in hard difficulty, though I'm really bad at action games.

And the walkthrough gives too much away in my opinion.
I know telling players what to do is the idea behind walkthrughs, but in the gamefaq text, every single step is decribed in a painfully detailed way, with no single thought left to think for the player. Walkthroughs like that kill the mood of a game Sad
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work put into it, I just don't like the result.
The one pikacz wrote is how a walkthrough should be, I think.
There are directions in it on what to do, and what you can find in a room, but the player still has to figure some stuff out, without being guided like a blind robot. This way most of Penumbra's atmosphere is preserved.

RE: Complete Walkthrough parts 1 & 2 - DJ_Bite - 04-10-2007

Thanx for all your great work, Pikacz! It really helped me out every now and then. I'm at the 2nd worm now, so I start getting there :-)

Cheers,
Bite

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - SirRaven - 04-10-2007

Thaliur Wrote:Hmm, I just read the walkthrough on GameFAQs, and I don't really like it.
The author said it was impossible to kill the dog in the old mine, and even I managed to do this, in hard difficulty, though I'm really bad at action games.

And the walkthrough gives too much away in my opinion.
I know telling players what to do is the idea behind walkthrughs, but in the gamefaq text, every single step is decribed in a painfully detailed way, with no single thought left to think for the player. Walkthroughs like that kill the mood of a game Sad
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work put into it, I just don't like the result.
The one pikacz wrote is how a walkthrough should be, I think.
There are directions in it on what to do, and what you can find in a room, but the player still has to figure some stuff out, without being guided like a blind robot. This way most of Penumbra's atmosphere is preserved.

Yeah I agree, that's why I think this one being modified as a no-spoiler walkthrough would be greatly desired. I read a few parts of the gamefaqs one and hated how much was being told. Even the ending was spoiled. I didn't notice the part about the dog not being killable...I only skimmed through it and saw the ascii maps which is real good work.

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - pikacz - 04-10-2007

Thaliur Wrote:Hmm, I just read the walkthrough on GameFAQs, and I don't really like it.
agreed, it completely sucks. i hope they accept ours

edit
guys from wonderdogsoftware.com are interested in our walkthrough, i sent it to them Wink

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - Punisher - 04-13-2007

@pikacz: why did you posted on a request for a walkthrough ? Smile Big Grin

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - pikacz - 04-13-2007

lol, i requested it before i made it Tongue

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!) - Willbreaker - 04-16-2007

I dunno if it just me, but I really like that GameFAQs walkthrough, he really put in some serious work into that text, and made it easy to follow.

In my mind the way a walkthrough should be.

/Breaker