Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Any News On The Next Instalment? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Any News On The Next Instalment? (/thread-9278.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Gasjockey - 09-10-2011

@BrooksyFC

Like another commenter said, it could also very well be from a future valve game. The suspicious response from marcus makes me wonder tho...

@hollowleviathan:

I'm glad they're not jumping on the coop bandwagon. I think frictional would have a hard time pulling that off, even if it was a less horror-focused game

EDIT: Woo, pageking again Tongue

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Kman - 09-10-2011

(09-09-2011, 09:02 PM)Gasjockey Wrote: From reddit

Hmmmm...
oh god, i really hope that isn't actual concept art. because if it is i must say i do not approve >_>

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - hollowleviathan - 09-11-2011

"Weapons detract from alot of other more interesting things, so it is something we will stay away from."

Another quote from the reddit about the upcoming game.

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Gasjockey - 09-11-2011

We pretty much knew that already tho, frictionals attitude towards weapons have been clear all along...

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Googolplex - 09-11-2011

I like weapons in a game. But they should not be for fighting, more like tools. Penumbra Overture makes it right, you can kill a dog, but it is not easy (if you play the game blind).
You can try to fight, but it is not the intention of the game.
And if you loose the "tools" later, it is even more dangerous for the player.
When you have weapons, it does not automatically mean, you are the superhero. The game's representation is important to let you feel yet helpless.
And the game has just more possibilities.
Weapons should be so weak, that you almost can not kill an enemy. But you should have the option!

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Tanshaydar - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 06:44 PM)Googolplex Wrote: You can try to fight, but it is not the intention of the game.

In fact, no one can force an intention to the player. Players usually tend to advance in traditional ways; and if they have a way to kill the enemy, regardless of the intention of the game, they will.

Weak weapons will bring a result that more than half of the players would complain about 'broken mechanics'.

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Googolplex - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 06:59 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Weak weapons will bring a result that more than half of the players would complain about 'broken mechanics'.

The player should get the information or recognize, that he indeed could fight with the weapons, but they are not really for fighting.

For example: "This old rusty hammer seems to cause no more damage."

Then the player understand, what the game means.

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - hollowleviathan - 09-12-2011

They could potentially re-introduce poor/last-ditch combat into a game if they have NPCs around to inform the player that they are terrible at fighting and should try to avoid it. It wasn't immediately obvious in Penumbra you shouldn't want to kill your enemies.

I remember my first exposure to Silent Hill was trying to knife-fight a dog in SH3, dying and thinking the game was crappy because it had a crappy combat system...How was I to know? Why would they give me a knife with the idea that I should never use it?

I think the best solution, then, is to not have a combat system designed to make the player/protagonist crappy, since it becomes a trap; a part of your game that you're not supposed to play. Making an optional aspect of the game deliberately suck may be true to character, but that's not fun. I think it would be better to focus on the gameplay that players are supposed to enjoy and is designed to be good, immersive, and fun.

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - graykin - 09-12-2011

(09-11-2011, 08:34 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 06:59 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Weak weapons will bring a result that more than half of the players would complain about 'broken mechanics'.

The player should get the information or recognize, that he indeed could fight with the weapons, but they are not really for fighting.

For example: "This old rusty hammer seems to cause no more damage."

Then the player understand, what the game means.
Yeah, but that kind of thing seems too spoon-fed.

Ideally, the player should find out on his own the effectiveness of the weapons. But, of course, that would induce whining, as it's too natural for gamers to want to kill things.

*EDIT: Ah, hollowleviathan beat me to it.

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - BrooksyFC - 09-19-2011

I love the combat system in Overture. Like the way you had to physically move your mouse to swing the object to attack, but like you said it isn't really aimed for combat and it does take a while to kill the dogs with a pickaxe. I guess with a weapon it makes the gamer feel more safe, but your taking a risk attempting to kill an enemy.

It's been a year since Amnesia, and I'm hoping that something, like a trailer or some official concept art will come out soon, as most of Frictional Games Projects come out every year or so