Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Any News On The Next Instalment? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Any News On The Next Instalment? (/thread-9278.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Gasjockey - 09-19-2011

There could be a system where you are able to kill enemies, but it is very challenging and there are consequences. For instance, maybe something like there being more enemies later if you kill them early, and this being explained through the storytelling. Or maybe a system where you know that killing will make your situation all that much worse. This way the player would not want to kill them, unless it is an emergency. And even then, if it is difficult enough they will try to avoid it altogether. There are many possibilities...

EDIT: Why am I always pageking :O

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - BrooksyFC - 09-19-2011

Yeah I can see what you mean. Reminds me of a sort of RPG element, like killing a character will effect the game later on or effect the ending of the game. I prefer it if the player din't have weapons or maybe something to just knock back the enemy, similar to using barrel's or closing doors.

Or there could be the way of collecting items that can be used as weapons but there are ways to use weapons to open doors or boxes (but with the sacrifice of losing the weapon) like a crowbar.

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Gasjockey - 09-19-2011

^Yep, that was pretty much what I was trying to say. But for something like this to work, the player needs to be aware that bad stuff will happen if you kill/attack the enemies, otherwise they will, as has been mentioned, try to do it "the way they're used to"...

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - BrooksyFC - 09-20-2011

Yeah exactly, like on Overture, whenever I see the dog, I always think I can kill it, but it takes ages to do it. Plus a pickaxe isn't the best weapon to use. But it would make the player think about their choices. I personally would just ignore any contact with an enemy and sneak around them, which is what Frictional Games do so well with there games, you have the weapon to kill with, but the chances of survival isn't great Tongue

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Tanshaydar - 09-20-2011

If I am given the chance to kill it, I will definitely kill it. I killed all of the dogs in Overture. I'm a little skilled using mouse/keyboard, so it's not that hard for me; and chances of survival is great.

I was never much of a PC gamer, until now. But not I'm really getting into it. I guess once you kill the dogs it's a lot easier to complete the puzzles.

I prefer the idea of not being able to kill the enemies, makes the game more interesting and makes the gamers search everywhere before attempting any puzzles or something.

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Gasjockey - 09-20-2011

(09-20-2011, 02:04 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: If I am given the chance to kill it, I will definitely kill it. I killed all of the dogs in Overture. I'm a little skilled using mouse/keyboard, so it's not that hard for me; and chances of survival is great.
Of course, that's the issue... But if there's some sort of story reason why you shouldn't kill them, combined with some sort of in-game consequence, I think it's possible to coerce players into not killing them, unless as a last resort. Anyway, frictional has already made it clear they're not gonna have weapons, so I guess this entire discussion is getting a bit off-topic :p

Haha. Yes it is. Has there been any new's on monsters? Not sure if they can top the Grute (Floppy Jaw) Wink

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Gasjockey - 09-20-2011

Not any news that I know of since the reddit thread. Definitely agree with you on mr. facedude, he's pretty much the best thing that ever happened to gaming :p They should make a special edition of the next game, with a free mr. face plushie Big Grin

RE: Any News On The Next Instalment? - Kman - 09-21-2011

(09-20-2011, 02:04 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: If I am given the chance to kill it, I will definitely kill it. I killed all of the dogs in Overture. I'm a little skilled using mouse/keyboard, so it's not that hard for me; and chances of survival is great.

Doing that isn't too hard, if you want a REAL challenge do that using a mouse pad Tongue I think I managed to kill about 3 of them.