Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Idea for a Hard Mode?
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24
Idea for a Hard Mode?

Bet this has been proposed many times, but I hope my idea differs in that I try to keep it small, just some tweaks which can be accessed through the menu. (Perhaps after one full play-through.)

Thing is, there are elements in the game that made it very easy. Like the music you heard when monsters were near, and the fact that there is always a hiding place ready, and last but not least, the fact the enemies are kinda predictable as to when they come.

The idea is that when you select Hard Mode, a script float gets set to 1 or TRUE. (i.e. HasHardModeSelected = 1.) And when a map loads, it'll check for this and when it detects this to be 1 or TRUE, things will be different. Other monster entity files will be used (Without enemy music, but still with their spawn roar/whimper intact.) and perhaps even placed at different locations. Also, more monster encounters, aaand... Less oil and tinderboxes. Last but not least, some objects will be removed/placed elsewhere to make hiding harder, perhaps even so that if you do not build a hiding spot, you will get hunt down.

I think this is the best way to make a Hard Mode possible, only dunno if it is easy to implent it into the menu and such and if the script command is already possible or would require some changes, but I would like this. Smile

What you guys think? :o
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM by Mina Darsh.)
09-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Frictional, could we get a Hard Mode?

I think nothing is stopping you to make a conversion. Wink

All semi-jokes aside, I think the devs are busy working on their new game and improved engine.
Even though I agree that I found the game a lot easier the 2nd time I played through it, since you can indeed predict what will happen with the monsters.

Apart from that, it was still scary, so I don't mind *that* much.
09-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Well, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I dunno if it would be possible, would require some modding with the game menu and to know if there is a way to have a boolean/float activated when it is assigned in the menu throughout the whole game.
09-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Find
BendyBread Offline

Threads: 2

I would never personally play it, but it'd be a nice hit for all the "tough people".
Basically I mean the "BAWW THIS GAME ISNT SCARY AT ALL" people, this mode would make it at least somewhat interesting for them.
09-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Well, I think not just that, it could pretty much help expand the amount of game hours in a simple way by having the same areas, but different monster placement and perhaps some other little extras. (Extra events or perhaps some funny/interesting trivia.) I would love do give it a try myself as the scripting language seems easy to learn and (I hope) I just have to go through each map in the editor and see what entities could be added and which could be deactivated if having a Hard Mode. I just need to know whether or not it is possible to modify the Main Menu to have an extra option and if this option could persist and be saved in the save game. (Would preferrably want this all to look clean and official.) Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Topic name changed as it might be indeed a better idea to try this ourself, assuming it can be done one way or another. Smile
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM by Mina Darsh.)
09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Idea for a Hard Mode?

I've had this idea myself, while I still enjoy the game, it'd be nice if things were changed up a bit (kinda like the the inverted castle in Castelvania:SOTN) for more challenge and bragging rights

09-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

if you want to make amnesia harder, make the monsters smarter
09-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Website Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(09-08-2011, 12:01 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: if you want to make amnesia harder, make the monsters smarter

Definitely going to agree with you here. I'm not personally sure how one would go about modding something like AI logic though.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2011, 01:06 AM by gandalf91.)
09-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(09-08-2011, 01:06 AM)gandalf91 Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 12:01 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: if you want to make amnesia harder, make the monsters smarter

Definitely going to agree with you here. I'm not personally sure how one would go about modding something like AI logic though.
You'd have to do a total conversion

09-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

how many times is someone gonna make this same exact thread? :/

Posting Freak
09-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Website Find