Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Oh god
Xenomorph Offline

Threads: 1
Oh god

Beat Amnesia (loved it, I adore horror games) but I found that after the dungeons/morgue I got normalized to the monsters. However I just installed Penumbra and it's pretty spooky. I must admit I died like 3 times trying to hammer the dog to death but the atmosphere of a abandoned mine has really got me going. I'm just barely at the beginning but I'm very excited to play through the game and its respective expansions. Playing alone at 4AM really cranks the fear factor up.

I just really enjoy the loss of "power" that a game like Penumbra can give. While I can wield my pick-axe of might, I really enjoy the adventure puzzle solving aspect set in a gloomy abyss. I read that it's sequel removed the dogs and the weapons which I'm actually excited for. I think the lack of any real weapons gives you a greater fear.

Having my buddy play through Amnesia right now after he saw me play through some of it. I really get my jollies seeing my friends play through horror games. I must admit that most games don't scare me (a long time understanding of how games work/scare tactics) but I really feel these puzzle-venture horror games really set the mood.

PS: The first dog gave me a god damn heart attack and I sat near the boxes thinking he'd poof like the monsters in amnesia to my dismay, lol.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM by Xenomorph.)
09-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Oh god

Just one tip: Don't try to kill the dogs.
Game is more fun that way.

09-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Website Find
Xenomorph Offline

Well initially I blocked it off several times and it kept bashing through. And instead of having to worry about hiding from the same dog I wanted the peace of mind to be able to do objectives. I even blocked it and ran off and when I came back he was broken through waiting for me. So I took revenge!
09-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah if you really want the most horrific experience from it, I'd say only use weapons as a last resort (like if you're spotted and there is no way you can escape it) I found that just slowly progressing and trying to sneak around them instead of running or fighting was the most scary.

Posting Freak
09-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Website Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

I actually went back and played Overture a few months ago. I remember enjoying the hell out of it the first time I played it, despite the clunky controls. But now, I find Overture to be annoying as hell now. I love Red, I love the general atmosphere, but getting around the wolves was just a frustrating slog.

Thankfully, Black Plague retained much of its "charm." I was able to play it and enjoy almost like it was my first time.

09-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Find
Xenomorph Offline

I just finished Black Plague and I agree 100% gray. Where I found the monsters in Overture to be tedious and annoying (and less and less scary) I found Black Plague to be more frightening than the scariest parts of Amnesia. The whole ending (aside from the very ending) was just me running blindly around to the rooms with horrible anxiety. While at the end I just out maneuvered the enemies I still found most of the sequences and areas to be highly creepy.

Once I finish the final game (haven't started it yet) I'll give me full review and suggestions. I have to say so far my list is as follows for scare factor:

1. Black Plague
2. Amnesia
3. Overture
4. Requiem (I suspect it take its place here, as I hear its not very scary)
09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Requiem was never meant to be scary to begin with. However, it has its moments too.

09-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Yeah, I really don't know, what is more scary - Black Plague or Amnesia?
But I think, that Black Plague was a little more scary.
I've got nightmares of this game, captured in this dark building-complex.
Even if Amnesia meant to have more horror, Black Plague is more danger and creepy.
But Overture was the best of all games and all they are super scary (even Requiem).
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2011, 08:50 PM by Googolplex.)
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(09-14-2011, 08:49 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Yeah, I really don't know, what is more scary - Black Plague or Amnesia?
But I think, that Black Plague was a little more scary.
I've got nightmares of this game, captured in this dark building-complex.
Even if Amnesia meant to have more horror, Black Plague is more danger and creepy.
But Overture was the best of all games and all they are super scary (even Requiem).
But Plague was scarier than Amnesia to me in its early stages, however I felt the fear factor in Amnesia lasted longer, so it's a bit of a tossup. (I agree with OP, after the morgue Amnesia isn't nearly as scary. In fact, it still boggles my mind how some people found the choir to be the scariest area. That was about middle of the pack for me.)

09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Find
Xenomorph Offline

Finally finished it, thought it ended...rather oddly? It doesn't really solve anything, just kinda continues what your father started...a message. Requiem was a chore to play through, it got kinda creepy at the end, but "kinda creepy" is like the first area in Amnesia. Overall my ranking still stands, but with the series complete its on to Call of Cthulhu.
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Find