Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to See Lights in Editor
NylePudding Offline

Threads: 23
Unable to See Lights in Editor

Just as the title says I am unable to see lights in the editor. Spot lights, Point lights you name it. For some reason I just can't see the effects they make.

Have a simply deactivated them somehow? Because I can see them working perfectly when I test the level out.

Thanks for any help. =]

09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Unable to See Lights in Editor

Edit > Options > Performance: Are lights active?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Website Find
NylePudding Offline

Lights are active but I still have the problem. Sad

09-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

If you're using a large BoxLight to create ambient light across the map, set its Blend mode to Add. If it's on Replace it will override and block out any other lights.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011, 03:24 AM by palistov.)
09-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Find
NylePudding Offline

(09-24-2011, 03:24 AM)palistov Wrote: If you're using a large BoxLight to create ambient light across the map, set its Blend mode to Add. If it's on Replace it will override and block out any other lights.
The thing is I'm not using any boxlights in my story. Only point and spot lights. Huh

09-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Hmmm. Perhaps their radius is too small to see. Check the radius value. Also their diffuse color--make sure the A channel is at 1.

09-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Find
NylePudding Offline

(09-24-2011, 09:02 AM)palistov Wrote: Hmmm. Perhaps their radius is too small to see. Check the radius value. Also their diffuse color--make sure the A channel is at 1.
I've checked and they all have a good radius. But here's the weird thing, lights in my level used to work a while ago. Then I backed up my level and re-installed windows on my PC. About 3 months later I started work on my custom story again. (Which was about 2 weeks ago) Perhaps lights stopped working when I re-installed windows but since I didn't need to see lights while editing for a while I didn't notice when they stopped working.

Finally, even though I don't plan to use boxlights in this certain map. I thought I'd try them out and they work perfectly.

Thanks for your help so far, all of you.

09-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

Perhaps reinstalling the editor suite?
09-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Yknow I've actually started experiencing issues with my lights too, particularly shadowcasting spotlights with a gobo map. I spent about 15 mins testing and there's something (I don't know what though) that causes a shadowcasting spotlight with a gobo map to disappear when not pointed a certain direction. The problem is only occurring for me when in a map with lots of objects already present. And it's definitely not just an editor issue, the exact same issue occurs in-game as well.

Update on the matter:
I think I figured out what causes the problem: SSAO and/or occlusion culling. I turned off SSAO and the problem went away. When I turned it back on, it re-appeared. I had culling primitives in the map, and once I fixed them, the problem went away in-game. For some reason the problem didn't appear in the editor, even before I fixed the planes. I also updated my graphics driver, so that may have been a factor as well....anyways I suggest updating your graphics driver, that might solve it for you.

Anyways, here's a list of things I did which may help you fix this:
Fix culling planes
Update graphics card driver
Change boxlight blend to add
Delete map_cache files

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011, 11:30 PM by palistov.)
09-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Find
NylePudding Offline

I'm sorry I'm sort of reviving this thread but I still haven't got around to addressing the issue.

How would you go about fixing culling planes, may I ask?

=]

10-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Find