Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra is very funny.
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Penumbra is very funny.

Where is the horror in this game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOXQHRW_x...re=related
10-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Penumbra is very funny.

[Image: facepalm.png] Not again...

10-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Website Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

Good job immersing yourself in the game and not "playing to win".
10-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

Think the idea is to sneak around them Tongue

Think A Little, Change A Lot
10-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

well, sure the idea is to sneak around, but i'm not gonna lie. i felt like a f*cking GOD when i finally killed one of those damn things...

Posting Freak
10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Website Find
Brute Offline

Threads: 10

Hmmm... Ok. There is a very creepy and dangerous dog. I have a broom, a hammer and oh, yes, a pickaxe... and maybe a shotgun, full of ammo. What should I do? YES! I risk my life and sneak around him, so he can ambush me easily! Big Grin

In my opinion, weapons aren't kill the atmosphere. The enemies just had to been more strong, which meens, that they act like the brute. They can kill you immediately and they just make an ourgh! animation by hitting them. You must hit them a lot, when you will kill them.
If Frictional Games would make their enemies like this, weapons are just an emergenty option, which should even been in Penumbra. When I remember correctly, in the first steps of development of Amnesia, should been included too.

Oh. And BTW. I have no idea, why so many people doesn't like the fight system... I found this really cool by swinging an weapon with the mouse, and had no problems with it... Confused

10-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

@Brute
I think, weapons make the game even more dangerous and innovative. But I mean not guns or laser-swords for superheros. I mean an old rusty hammer or a pickaxe like in Penumbra. This weapons aren't really suitable to fight. And the game's goal is not to kill enemies. You have only the option to fight them if you can. And you can't kill them easy, it is very hard so that you maybe don't try to fight.
This weapons should be more tools as for fighting. But it's better than no weapons. And it's even better, when you get weapons in the beginning and lose them during the game so that you suddenly haven't weapons anymore. Then you are even more frustrated in fear. And that makes Penumbra perfectly.
The atmosphere in Penumbra is even more dangerous as in Amnesia. Amnesia only have more horror elements, but Penumbra is more oppressive. And Penumbra did not want to kill the enemies, you can try it, but it is recommend to run away or to hide behind a box. It have weapons, but mainly not for fighting.
If a game have no weapons, it will be less complex, you only have to hide.
The weapons in Penumbra can be used more to crush through fences for solving puzzles. To have weapons is a good feature, when it is like Penumbra, where you can't kill the enemys (nobody can kill all spiders).
It gives the game more horror feeling.
But strong weapons will destroy all horror feeling.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM by Googolplex.)
10-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

This, is the biggest let down about Penumbra. That the game only let you play one way to make it scary, if you stray from the linear gameplay of the game it's flawed to the bone, because it relies on the playstyle of sneak and run and nothing else.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
10-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Find
Brute Offline

Threads: 10

@Googolplex
That's what I am talking about!
Weapons should be avaiable, but not so strong. I found it very ridiculous, that the dogs need an half eternity, to stand up, after I hit them with something. Big Grin
And the shotgun should just been a joke. But I still know, how desperate I walk through Penumbra. So much ammo boxes, but no weapon Big Grin .
I also found the atmosphere better than in Amnesia. And very important the Story. So much better than in Amnesia. So deep and mysterious...
There is so much I like about Penumbra. I remember so funny things...

10-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(10-21-2011, 10:38 AM)nackidno Wrote: This, is the biggest let down about Penumbra. That the game only let you play one way to make it scary, if you stray from the linear gameplay of the game it's flawed to the bone, because it relies on the playstyle of sneak and run and nothing else.
No, I think you confused something with Amnesia.
Amnesia lets you only play one way, Penumbra not. Penumbra is more varied and involves the player more intensive therefore.

(10-21-2011, 11:15 AM)Brute Wrote: I also found the atmosphere better than in Amnesia. And very important the Story. So much better than in Amnesia. So deep and mysterious...
There is so much I like about Penumbra.

Yes, all right. I haven't understand your first post, because of my bad english. sorry.
But we both mean the same things. Penumbra gives me one of the best moments I ever had in games. And I bought the game 2 times in an original box.

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2011, 03:27 PM by Googolplex.)
10-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Find