Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Brennenburg Offline

Threads: 9
RE: AAMFP - lantern or flashlight?

The lantern is more like Amnesia.

[Image: TRcp2.png]
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(08-10-2012, 12:29 PM)Brennenburg Wrote: The lantern is more like Amnesia.
I'm not saying I dislike Amnesia, however I got sick of going through levels being close to blind. I liked how in Penumbra you always swap between the glow stick and the flashlight. However in Amnesia half the time I am out of the damn oil and I can't even enjoy the level design. In a lot of ways I think Frictional Games should go back and do something like Penumbra (aka set in a modern more realistic place).

Conclusion: Flashlight/Glowstick combo > crappy lantern

Note 1: if we are going to have a lantern (I don't like the idea much though) at least make the time last longer.

Note 2: why can't we have two choices (Penumbra...) that way in case one goes out we have the other

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM by darkely.)
08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

Threads: 0

nah there was too many resources for me in amnesia. you dont even need lantern thers enough light and over 9000 tinderboxes. amnesia takes during the day and its sunny!!! you never had to worry about that. aklso why is lantern associated with amnesia why cant we have new things i want an option. this is not TDD anymore, this is a new game, is it?. i dont need lantern or whatever, the game has to be dark! but it will be cuz AMFP takes during the night!
08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(08-10-2012, 05:35 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Trolls, there never was any in the first place

I guess Frictional was trolling us when they "leaked" it then. Tongue

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
08-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-10-2012, 07:08 PM)spukrian Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 05:35 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Trolls, there never was any in the first place

I guess Frictional was trolling us when they "leaked" it then. Tongue
Are you talking about >this< leaked concept art?

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
08-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(08-10-2012, 12:59 PM)darkely Wrote:
I'm not saying I dislike Amnesia, however I got sick of going through levels being close to blind. I liked how in Penumbra you always swap between the glow stick and the flashlight. However in Amnesia half the time I am out of the damn oil and I can't even enjoy the level design. In a lot of ways I think Frictional Games should go back and do something like Penumbra (aka set in a modern more realistic place).

Note 1: if we are going to have a lantern (I don't like the idea much though) at least make the time last longer.

Note 2: why can't we have two choices (Penumbra...) that way in case one goes out we have the other

So your incompetence to preserve oil is vindication for change? There were a ample number of problems with the glowstick -- it's infinite illumination and effectiveness put the game's balance off-scale, the result was a lack of difficulty. Rare was an instance of use for the flashlight.
08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(08-10-2012, 07:28 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 12:59 PM)darkely Wrote:

So your incompetence to preserve oil is vindication for change? There were a ample number of problems with the glowstick -- it's infinite illumination and effectiveness put the game's balance off-scale, the result was a lack of difficulty. Rare was an instance of use for the flashlight.

Personal attacks? really?!

Penumbra was fine as it was - the flashlight was a little bit better then the glowstick at least that's the way I remember it. The glowstick was not as good as you make it out to be - for instance you have to get a lot closer to see things with it then the flashlight.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM by darkely.)
08-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

come on, if you want to go to war, please do it in PM! this is ridiculous!

there was leaked concept art from a Frictional/Chineseroom game on the web a while ago, wich many people assumed was from AMFP, but was latter confirmed in this very thread by one of the moderators that it was from the "other, unnanounced project". the leaked art has since been obliterated from the web.

i personally saw it on Gamespot. (i Refuse to use "IGN" as i think they are the biggest bunch of trolls this side of ankh morpork, for me, i use, exclusively, "Gamespot" for news, "The Cynical Brit" and "Arstechnica" for reviews and "the Escapist" when i want to laugh my backside off at "Zero Punctuation")

just because frictional had the art removed from all the places it was posted on, does not mean it never existed. above all, calling people trolls for no reason is not only extremely trollish behavior, its also "Slander". all you do by calling everyone who saw the leaked art before it was removed "a troll" is undermine your own point, raise everyones hackles, and make yourself look like a troll.

personal attacks, the curse of the internet.. save it for twitter people!

on topic,

as i said, on the issue of "lantern vs flashlight" have both, but also have both conform to victorian technology, ie, the flashlight is very unreliable, hard to repair, and new ones are extremely rare, and the batteries not only burn out fast, but are virtually impossible to find owing to flashlights being a rare item at the time as they were "new fangled" technology. were as the lantern (a gas jet lamp) is common, easy to fuel (as the parrafin it uses can easily be extracted from the abundant supplies of oil found in a victorian factory) but produces far less light than the flashlight, needs to be "primed" frequently as the jet looses pressure easilly, and the sound it makes will attract pig monsters. Remember AMFP is set in Victorian England, id say about 1890 odd, by the looks of the trailer, id say probably London for the setting. so the items should refelct the technology and availability of that era in time.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 07:40 PM by the dark side.)
08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(08-10-2012, 07:34 PM)the dark side Wrote: personal attacks, the curse of the internet.. save it for twitter people!
Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black?!

08-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: I'm not saying I dislike Amnesia, however I got sick of going through levels being close to blind. I liked how in Penumbra you always swap between the glow stick and the flashlight. However in Amnesia half the time I am out of the damn oil and I can't even enjoy the level design.
Naah, horror games need darkness... The point with the visual leveldesign I can understand of course, but alas, it is both blessing and curse of the game artist, that his work is best when it's supporting the game design. And if game design demands there be darkness, then that's how it has to be. The point being, of course, that no matter what gruesome things your game artists can create, it's still more effective to simply let the players imagination run wild by only hinting at, not showing things.

I think (and I may have mentioned that a few times already) instead of discussing how much light there should be or what contraption should emit it, the far more interesting question remains: How can we make light more valuable to the player? Because right now, having no light is an annoyance at best. So the game either needs more severe punishment for being in darkness or more reward for having a lightsource.

One of my "favourite" (read: most terrifying) levels of Black Plague was the one where you were hunted by that thing in the walls that would only come out in darkness. Before, I almost liked sitting around in the shadows because it made me feel safe, but then suddenly my "safe place" was invaded and being out in the uncomfortable lit zones was the only way to survive. I found it quite effective.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Find