Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(04-07-2013, 02:13 PM)Spaceman Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 12:11 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 04:26 AM)Spaceman Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 11:53 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote: It would be very lovecraftian of FG to involve some kind of cult or religion in the plot. Not that Amnesia already isn't, it's the most lovecraftian game I've ever played.

You've obviously not played Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth. That game is Lovecraftian.

Even though it may appear so, I would argue that Amnesia is more lovecraftian than DCoTE. There is too much action in DCoTE and Lovecraft's work is usually much more abstract, gothic and weird than DCoTE. Amnesia is much more toward that.

At face value I'd disagree, just because DCoTE has all those direct references to specifics of the Lovecraftian novella, like Cthulhu himself, Innsmouth, etc.

On a deeper level though, I'd totally agree yeah, the ideals behind the design of the game isn't nearly as close to Lovecraftian horror as Amnesia.

DCoTE does indeed have direct references to his work and mythos, so yeah you can look at it that way, you're absolutely right.

The theme and feeling in Amnesia is much closer to anything other than The Shadow Over Innsmouth which he wrote.

Waking up in a dark place, not remembering anything - there is an abstract shadow hunting you - weird abnormal mutaded beings wandering around not dead but not alive - the whole "been excavating in africa during the 19th century" theme -, not to mention all the elements of sciences (impossible geometry, chemistry) and dreams, foreign dimensions. That's pretty much most of Lovecraft's work in a nutshell, and that's why I think Amnesia is more lovecraftan than DCoTE.
04-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

FYI, there is action in Lovecraft's stories. Instead of taking such an extremist view of action being the antithesis of horror (which is at times sadly true in the case of DCoTE), consider the aesthetics of both games. How does each game make you feel, and how does that feeling relate to H.P. Lovecraft's works? If you consider that, instead of common elements, then DCoTE is clearly the more "Lovecraftian" game. It feels, especially the first half, exactly like his stories. I do agree though that the backstory that is slowly revealed through the notes you find in Amnesia is pretty Lovecraftian. However, I do not find that it syncs all that well with the aesthetics of the game itself, which is completely different. Actually, making an audiobook of the diary entries and possibly including the flashbacks is an appealing idea.
04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Find
Spaceman Offline

Threads: 1

(04-07-2013, 02:31 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 02:13 PM)Spaceman Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 12:11 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 04:26 AM)Spaceman Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 11:53 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote: It would be very lovecraftian of FG to involve some kind of cult or religion in the plot. Not that Amnesia already isn't, it's the most lovecraftian game I've ever played.

You've obviously not played Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth. That game is Lovecraftian.

Even though it may appear so, I would argue that Amnesia is more lovecraftian than DCoTE. There is too much action in DCoTE and Lovecraft's work is usually much more abstract, gothic and weird than DCoTE. Amnesia is much more toward that.

At face value I'd disagree, just because DCoTE has all those direct references to specifics of the Lovecraftian novella, like Cthulhu himself, Innsmouth, etc.

On a deeper level though, I'd totally agree yeah, the ideals behind the design of the game isn't nearly as close to Lovecraftian horror as Amnesia.

DCoTE does indeed have direct references to his work and mythos, so yeah you can look at it that way, you're absolutely right.

The theme and feeling in Amnesia is much closer to anything other than The Shadow Over Innsmouth which he wrote.

Waking up in a dark place, not remembering anything - there is an abstract shadow hunting you - weird abnormal mutaded beings wandering around not dead but not alive - the whole "been excavating in africa during the 19th century" theme -, not to mention all the elements of sciences (impossible geometry, chemistry) and dreams, foreign dimensions. That's pretty much most of Lovecraft's work in a nutshell, and that's why I think Amnesia is more lovecraftan than DCoTE.

Yeah I totally agree with you there, I don't believe you can take games like that with just the gameplay.

[Image: tumblr_meuosnsjDw1s01xwto1_500.gif]
04-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

(04-07-2013, 03:37 PM)Spaceman Wrote: Yeah I totally agree with you there, I don't believe you can take games like that with just the gameplay.

A bit irrelevant but I love your avatar, that game involves so much awesome stuff from christian/jewish (etc) mythology.
04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0

Has there been any new info since the release of the Halloween trailer?
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(04-07-2013, 06:51 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: Has there been any new info since the release of the Halloween trailer?

Yes, but nothing major.
04-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

(04-07-2013, 06:58 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 06:51 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: Has there been any new info since the release of the Halloween trailer?

Yes, but nothing major.

Like What?. anything we may haven't heard of?

The International Narcotics Traffic
04-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

A possible new character, some elaborations on the setting and some more hints as to what the plot is.
04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Sounds pretty major to me.
04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

Everything about AAMFP sounds major to me.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
04-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Website Find