Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some possible evidence about the father being behind this
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30
Some possible evidence about the father being behind this

Touching those lanterns or whatever they may be can tell you a few things about the game.
Touching one had our player say:

"From out the door rises something vast, something terrible. It strikes a man, knocking him down, and those standing by him wither, into the darkness.
Screaming begins, still father looks on. Is he bringing this? Father, what have you done?"

Then when you click to continue, you see your player speak (or think) again in the usual white text,

"These must be tied into what's going on here. If I keep experimenting, I may discover something useful. Or have a heart attack."

I'm sure this may be old, sorry if it is, but I just played this again and paid attention to such stuff like this, this time.

He may have seen the future, him being the one knocked down. The figure as the father, watching you get knocked down?
10-22-2007, 05:03 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: Some possible evidence about the father being behind this

Wow.. Never thought of it that way. The only part that isn't explained is "Screaming begins" and we didn't hear that part.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
10-22-2007, 05:28 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

I forgot to add this: Red saying this right afterwards:

"You seek the truth behind all this mystery, you think it will set you free! But truth is relative, and relatives cannot be trusted to bring good gifts. What you seek lies in the shafts beyond this collapsing of the sky, and if you look closely, so do I.

A century of days has passed, since I saw this area last. The diseased ones sought to kill poor Red, but I took them on a wild poultry chase, they ended dead.

They came from out the big metal door, but after all my years, I know these caves more. Hide and seek turned to seek and hide, and I buried them here, beneath the solid rock sky."

This was all right at the machine to get you into the first worm encounter.

maybe a muffled scream.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM by Greatred.)
10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Find
Pigov Offline

Threads: 6

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:and those standing by him wither, into the darkness.

If we assume it's the endgame moment, who is standing with Philip?
10-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

"You seek the truth behind all this mystery, you think it will set you free! But truth is relative, and relatives cannot be trusted to bring good gifts."

this part alone sounds powerful. "you think it will set you free, but relatives can not be trusted". It's how I see it. maybe the father was part of it at the end of episode 1
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Find
zzaz3 Offline

Threads: 0

Well, Red says that he will tell you what you need to know, then says that reletives cant be trusted. In the end Red doesn't tell you what you need to know, Red couldn't be trusted. Red is a reletive? Not the father...i dont think anyways.
10-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

I'm not really saying he's a relative. i think he is basically saying that relatives can not be, that the father is the either the dark figure at the end or the one who knocks you down. it's possible from what I posted up there. maybe Red is trying to help. after all, he says at the end, the key stays with him, he doesn't want Philip to have it.
10-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

The subject is missing. Please enter a subject.

The below (going in order) Are all the loading texts in the game, with the proper spacing.
Spoiler below!

Quote:There are things I need of you. Things you may not understand, and may not wish to do, but please, do not make the same mistakes I did.

My father, Howard, deserted me before I was born. I could claim the loss of my mother, and the letter I received after her funeral, blinded me to what I had to do. It would be a lie:

Human nature sealed my downfall.

My name is Philip. If we are lucky, then by the time you receive this, I will be dead.

If fate frowns, we all perish.

Quote:As I stepped off the boat, setting out into the blizzard that had formed around me, I realised how utterly devoted I'd been to the discovery of my father's past. I had no idea what to expect.

Soon enough, my concerns were justified. I don't know whether I lost my orientation, or my spirit, first, but I lost feeling in my extremities soon after, and knew hypothermia was setting in. I started looking for shelter.

Quote:Whatever I was descending into, it was a hundred feet below ground, protected by two solid, metal hatches, located in a remote, arctic wilderness, and buried beneath the snow. I didn't know what to expect, but it made me feel something I hadn't felt since I was a child.

I'd never given it much thought before, but I realised that our entire society is a network of safety nets: emergency services at the end of a phone line; health and safety in the workplace; friends; family; lovers. All there, if something goes wrong, part of a carefully designed structure to prevent all but the most mundane of emotions.

Once again, I felt like I did when I was in school, surrounded by a closing ring of older kids, knowing anyone that might help me - friends, parents, teachers - were too scared, or too far away.

Quote:When I look back, I can't think what spurred me to go deeper into the mine. Perhaps it was arrogance at still being alive; or something as ridiculous as facing adversity, and coming out on top.

Now, I know I would have been better off starving, or being mauled to death, than kick starting the chain of events that lead me to end up here, writing to you. I just hope, once you understand my story, you will have what's necessary to put an end to this tale.

I certainly didn't.

Quote:It seems so strange now, to have been guided like a blind man, by a faceless stranger whose sanity was clearly waning, disposition unknown. For all I knew, this 'Red' didn't even have a disposition to speak of, just a seething mass of conflicting emotions.

I knew that my radio reliant friend must have been cocooned nearby, and perhaps in finding him, I would find myself one step closer to understanding what was going on. In just a couple of hours I would find what I was looking for, and with it would come answers.

I didn't realise at the time, but the answers I found would be for questions I hadn't even asked.

Quote:As I stepped into the mouth of the underground facility, there should have been questions, fears, doubts running through me. Instead, I was torn in two.

Part of me, I felt, had died, along with my only ally, and friend. His final words had raised more questions than they'd answered, and I couldn't get his screams for help out of my head, despite knowing, deep down, that the pain I had caused Red was, itself, all the help I could have offered him. I was alone again, but I had nothing to do, other than press on into the unknown.

If I'd felt so bad about Red, I should have listened to him and stayed where I was. I would trade his fate a hundred times for my own.

The other side of me was looking forward, to what might await me in my continued journey. I felt sure that I would soon find some clue or other to my father's fate, and that he was inextricably linked to everything that was happening.

I also couldn't help but suspect that everything I had seen up until that point was just symptomatic of whatever lay beyond the threshold.

I know now, I was right.

The below are the artifact messengers near the end. All the other messengers are labeled "Aftersave" while the ones in the spoiler tags are labeled "Flashbacks"
Flashbacks mean (obviously) they're in the past. That means these events have already happened.
The bolded parts are the parts I found strange.

Spoiler below!

Quote:A man. An old man, clutching something unseen. He is strange, and yet, he is no stranger. Never seen before, still I know, this man before me is Howard. I call him father.
Quote:The man still clutching, still looking, for what? Before him lies metal, jutting awkward from earth. A hatch, a portal, a hole, a door. Unfamiliar text. Who are these figures, huddled around? What secrets are hidden behind the faces of men?

Quote:From out the door rises something vast, something terrible. It strikes a man, knocking him down, and those standing by him wither, into the darkness. Screaming begings, still father looks on. Is he bringing this? Father, what have you done?

Quote:A cohort, a man with no name. It is he who opens this gateway to hell. A grin on his face, he is terrible indeed, he watches the men writhe, and turn. Still, father looks on, something vital in his hand.

Quote:The chains on his arms are visible now. Not there out of choice, father looks on aghast. He clutches some notes, shaking hands. He knows! He knows what has come, what the man has released. The only one who could stop it, Howard knows the real fear.

Facts: (unproven, but heavily logical)
So, Howard ISN't the person that "Opens the gateway to hell". He knew what was going to happen, or at least part of it.
"The only one that could stop it" I think is directed at the "the man", and not at Howard.

Opinions:
The notes probably prove this, and as a consequence the superiors "Punished" the people that knew.

A hatch, a portal, a hole, a door.
The hatch probably implies to the way Philip came into the mines. The portal; I don't know. A hole, possibly the hole you went into after clearing it of rocks with TNT early ingame. "The door" might be 'red's door' which he didn't want you to go through. However, since these are in past tense, it's probable that they refer to things we'll experience in Black Plague.

Please -REP me.
10-28-2007, 05:40 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Btw, that contains spoilers for Episode 1, along with kinda killing your theory of Howard starting this.

Please -REP me.
10-28-2007, 05:41 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

so father knows what is up, he may not be behind it, but he has done something?

where are some of those quotes? maybe I missed some. sometimes I just click right away to get the game moving again, horrible I know.
I may pay better attention next time
10-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Find