Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Frictional Games on Steam?
OneShot Offline

Threads: 4
Frictional Games on Steam?

I'm not buying another online release unless it's through Steam. Who here agrees with me?

Shopping at Gamersgate is almost the easiest thing in the world. Just follow these instructions:
1. Buy
2. Download (if possible)
3. E-mail support@Gamersgate.com to figure out why your product isn't working!
4. Wait for a representative to respond.
5. Awaiting step 4 to be completed...
02-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Frictional Games on Steam?

OneShot Wrote:I'm not buying another online release unless it's through Steam. Who here agrees with me?
just because penumbra bp didint work on gamers gate dosent mean you have to get all protsesty!:c
02-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Find
GFree Offline

Threads: 5

Sure, go ahead. Put all your faith into Valve's Steam platform. Just don't come here if you start having connectivity issues. Smile
02-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43

GFree Wrote:Sure, go ahead. Put all your faith into Valve's Steam platform. Just don't come here if you start having connectivity issues. Smile
hey! are you insulting gordan freeman?!!?!?!
02-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Find
OneShot Offline

jo291 Wrote:
GFree Wrote:Sure, go ahead. Put all your faith into Valve's Steam platform. Just don't come here if you start having connectivity issues. Smile
hey! are you insulting gordan freeman?!!?!?!

I've never had an issue with steam... are you seriously insinuating that Steam is worse than Gamersgate?

Shopping at Gamersgate is almost the easiest thing in the world. Just follow these instructions:
1. Buy
02-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Find
GFree Offline

Quote:hey! are you insulting gordan freeman?!!?!?!
Course not. Smile

But quite frankly, if they more interested in dragging the damn franchise along rather than giving some actual ANSWERS after nearly a decade since the first game (eg. who/what is the G-man), then I simply can't continue to be interested in it. I want it to end, I want finality. Valve doesn't, cos it's their cash cow. Sad

As for Steam, I use to be a big fan. Now, well... age has told me that relying on a central point of failure for your games collection is an incredibly stupid idea, yet a lot of people fall for it. I prefer not to be tethered.

EDIT: I also have no experience with Gamersgate, but I do know Steam is probably the best of all online distributors, if that's your thing.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2008, 04:29 AM by thechef.)
02-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Find
OneShot Offline

GFree Wrote:
Quote:hey! are you insulting gordan freeman?!!?!?!
Course not. Smile

But quite frankly, if they more interested in dragging the damn franchise along rather than giving some actual ANSWERS after nearly a decade since the first game (eg. who/what is the G-man), then I simply can't continue to be interested in it. I want it to end, I want finality. Valve doesn't, cos it's their cash cow. Sad

As for Steam, I use to be a big fan. Now, well... age has told me that relying on a central point of failure for your games collection is an incredibly stupid idea, yet a lot of people fall for it. I prefer not to be tethered.

EDIT: I also have no experience with Gamersgate, but I do know Steam is probably the best of all online distributors, if that's your thing.

I've lost all my CD's. I still have everyone of my Steam games, some 4 years old (thats amazing). If you have an issue with Steam...your computer is a piece of crap, it isn't their fault.

1. Buy
02-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Find
GFree Offline

OneShot Wrote:If you have an issue with Steam...your computer is a piece of crap, it isn't their fault.
Right...

Do you remember this incident?
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45062

Sure, Valve can't control the weather, but it's still a major flaw in have your games teathered to an outside source. Plus, any bugs present in the Steam client are not going to get notice because people like you will defend Valve to the hilt! Smile

Valve is not infallible. Stop being a damn fanboy.
02-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Find
OneShot Offline

GFree Wrote:
OneShot Wrote:If you have an issue with Steam...your computer is a piece of crap, it isn't their fault.
Right...

Do you remember this incident?
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45062

Sure, Valve can't control the weather, but it's still a major flaw in have your games teathered to an outside source. Plus, any bugs present in the Steam client are not going to get notice because people like you will defend Valve to the hilt! Smile

Valve is not infallible. Stop being a damn fanboy.

All you would have to do to play your games that you already have downloaded would be unplug your internet cord and play in Offline mode. If you wanted to download or purchase a game, would you die waiting a couple of hours? It far outweighs the risk of losing a games disk, and the chances of that happening again are one in a million. If I am a fan-boy, what does that make you?

1. Buy
02-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Find
GFree Offline

OneShot Wrote:All you would have to do to play your games that you already have downloaded would be unplug your internet cord and play in Offline mode.
No. In the case of the storm for example, by trying to connect to the non-existent authentication servers, this cleared the local authentication which offline mode requires, so offline mode didn't work for ANYONE. Offline mode would only have worked if the person unpluged the net beforehand before trying to use Steam. If they were not aware of the fact the servers had gone down, the moment they tried connecting to their account online and it failed, even offline mode would fail until the auth servers came back up. I had the same problem as everyone else at the time.

Quote:If you wanted to download or purchase a game, would you die waiting a couple of hours? It far outweighs the risk of losing a games disk, and the chances of that happening again are one in a million.
I don't lose games disks. It's called looking after your property and learning how to be tidy and organized. A useful skill I might add.

Quote:If I am a fan-boy, what does that make you?
Careful.
02-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Find