Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia with THIS would be awesome - 3D spatial motion control
ThePaSch Offline

Threads: 11
Amnesia with THIS would be awesome - 3D spatial motion control

This. Leap Motion.
It looks pretty amazing - that thing tracks all ten fingers seperately in a 3D space, so it would be possible to just grab things like you would if you were in the same freaking room, gripping them, squishing them, hell, juggling them.

If a good horror game gets made for this and is pulled off decently, I'd totally buy it just to play that game.
07-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia with THIS would be awesome - 3D spatial motion control

BUT HOW WOULD YOU TURN AROUND.

Science: 0
Andy: 1

Seriously though, this is pretty cool. Although, at best this could be used for a point and click type of game. If you used just your hands to control the camera and the players actions, it would be either too complex or so strange that it would break immersion and not make sense. Unless you could use your whole body with this technology, it's pretty limited as far as gaming goes.

tl;dr I doubt there is a way to make it flow as well as keyboard+mouse

I rate it 3 memes.
07-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

True atm it seems like it doesn't work too well for games, but it's a step in the right direction for gaming for sure

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-01-2012, 01:27 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: BUT HOW WOULD YOU TURN AROUND.

Science: 0
Andy: 1

Seriously though, this is pretty cool. Although, at best this could be used for a point and click type of game. If you used just your hands to control the camera and the players actions, it would be either too complex or so strange that it would break immersion and not make sense. Unless you could use your whole body with this technology, it's pretty limited as far as gaming goes.

tl;dr I doubt there is a way to make it flow as well as keyboard+mouse
The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
07-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Hm...seems like right now it would be better suited for strategy games than anything that requires moving an avatar in 3D - It would certainly make clicking your zerg over to the enemy base much more fun ^^
Unless of course you could move the camera WITH YOUR MIND!

No, seriously, I also see great potential in 3D modeling and sculpting here. Just imagine sculpting your ZBrush or Mudbox model with this technology! You could even use real tools like they're used in traditional media (knives, spatulas, brushes and whatnot), I'm sure that thing could be modified to recognize these as well. Now all we need is a 3D hologram instead of a monitor...but they're already working on that, aren't they? Big Grin
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Find
ThePaSch Offline

Threads: 11

(07-01-2012, 01:27 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Unless you could use your whole body with this technology, it's pretty limited as far as gaming goes.
The article states that the technology could very well be used for bigger spaces, all they'd need is bigger cameras.

Also, why replace the current controls, why not work with them? Imagine, you're sitting on your couch, playing a great horror game on your <insert platform here>. You have one of these things, and it tracks your complete room. You use the controller to approach a cupboard, then use one hand to reach to open it and maybe grab things. You find a key, pocket it by a quick press of a button on your controller. Suddenly, a roar! You use your controller to run away. You peek around a corner by physically leaning left or right. Or you press yourself against the murky <insert location of game here> wall by doing so with the sofa cushions in real life.

I'd find that pretty fantastic.
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Find