Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found]
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found]

(07-30-2012, 05:22 PM)HateSolstice Wrote: I'm starting to think you don't really understand what horror even is.
Of course, I'm just here for fun.
07-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Oh Agustin on our forums! Good to see you and great info about what to expect of Asylum, I'm definitely looking forward to it!

(07-23-2012, 11:58 PM)AgustinCordes Wrote: Hey all!

First, I'm really glad to see that Asylum has picked your interest. I'm a huge fan of Frictional Games and especially Amnesia (I assisted in beta testing the game during its final stages of production).

Now, I understand your concerns about the gameplay in Asylum and its engine but let me clarify this: Asylum and Amnesia are different games with dissimilar goals. Amnesia has perhaps more in common with the Survival Horror genre with some Adventure elements; on the contrary, Asylum is 100% Adventure that feels like a Survival Horror. When I say "feels" I mean the environments and visual effects, which you will find at times similar to Amnesia. But that's it.

Asylum is heavily story-oriented and especially when it comes to the protagonist, who has a distinct personality and provides insightful comments as you explore the rundown asylum. There's also interaction with secondary characters as well. Point and click makes plenty of sense in this context as we don't want you thinking about your movement or the controls: it's better if you're most of the time still and investing your undivided attention to the environments and what happens in them. As I told Martin, the original poster, there's no room for "physical" horror in Asylum: it's purely psychological, and let me assure you that the game will mess up with your minds in ways you can't imagine (i.e.: no lame scare jumps).

So if you're expecting another Amnesia, you will be disappointed. If, however, you want to play a serious horror game with some of the most disturbing moments ever seen in this industry, we are here to satisfy Big Grin

As for the engine, the logic behind it is simple: Asylum does NOT need full 3D. In fact, it would be distracting. Like I said, we want you to focus on exploring the environments, seeking clues to unravel an intriguing mystery. If the engine was full 3D, we couldn't provide the level of detail we want. Again, Amnesia has different concerns so it doesn't matter if players see repetition in the environments: in the case of Asylum, there is hardly any repetition because every room is unique and highly detailed, and it has to be that way to maintain your interest.

And yes, there are other benefits: as some of you said, it's economic. We can reproduce this huge virtual building with a very low budget (practically non-existent). If we had to do this in full 3D, we would need a much, much larger team and the game would probably weigh above 8GB (right now it's less than 2GB). There is an extra bonus to this approach too: Asylum will run in low-end computers, and tablets even. An iPad port for example is almost a reality with practically no changes to the game code and assets.

Anyway, I hope this more or less clears up our intentions with Asylum. And I do hope you still will be interested to check out the game when it's ready. We are issuing a playable teaser soon which should give you a nice taste of how Asylum looks and feels.

Cheers!
07-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Website Find
HateSolstice Offline

Threads: 0

From what I played of Scratches, it was a really decent premise. The only real issue I had with it was that the whole "horror author intentionally living in a spooky mansion for inspiration" thing had already been done. Remember Phantasmagoria? Luckily, Scratches had an infinitely better story(again, from what I have played of it) and atmosphere.

I'm rather curious to see how this game will turn out.
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Hey, great post Augustin.
Yeah, I had to expect this would be a horror game like Amnesia, but as you told us, the idea is to make it more like a classical adventure. I accept it and am also looking forward to that project.
Like the one-man-production "Tower22" it is also definitely added to my games list.
A point & click adventure is something different from what I was expecting, but if it will be a good horror game, then I'll buy it by default.

I wish you talented people good luck,

Martin
07-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(07-30-2012, 09:48 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Hey, great post Augustin.
Yeah, I had to expect this would be a horror game like Amnesia, but as you told us, the idea is to make it more like a classical adventure. I accept it and am also looking forward to that project.
Like the one-man-production "Tower22" it is also definitely added to my games list.
A point & click adventure is something different from what I was expecting, but if it will be a good horror game, then I'll buy it by default.

I wish you talented people good luck,

Martin
Tower22 isn't a one-man production. It has one major programmer and designer who writes all of the blog posts, but there are other guys who are working on the game too.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
07-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Website Find
Youcef Offline

Threads: 5

http://www.facethehorror.com/teaser/

08-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Website Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(08-14-2012, 12:12 AM)Youcef Wrote: http://www.facethehorror.com/teaser/
Thanks for the link!
08-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Hey, yeah man. Thanks for the link.
I found it today and played the teaser, really creepy horror game.
09-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

Just played the teaser. I guess I can say that this game is really creepy. I was kept on edge, yet I can't be scared so easily.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Website Find
AgustinCordes Offline

Threads: 0

Just a quick comment about the teaser:

The controls may suck on certain computers, as in feeling way too slow. We're working on a fix. Asylum is supposed to have a quick and smooth pacing.

Remember this teaser is still an early build of the game and there are many rough edges we need to polish. Stay tuned for news! Smile
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM by AgustinCordes.)
09-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Website Find