Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box or Point light
tratolak Offline

Threads: 8
Box or Point light

What is better to use? Transition between box lights looks ugly, but light from point light goes throught walls.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 03:13 PM by tratolak.)
07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Box or Point light

You know i use boxlights for making the default light in the map.
When you start a new map it is COMPLETELY dark and that looks unrealistic. Use the boxlight with very low colors to make it dark, but still see-through-able.
Pointlight, if something gives extra light to the map (Lamps, etc.)
or if the player must be able to see a little bit more.

The light-blending of the pointlights can be fixed. Just mess with it.

INFO:
The pointlight gives most light if it is in the middle of the Y in the room.
Ex. Floor = 0, Ceiling = 4, pointlight = 2
If you but the pointlight at the floor the light amount it gives will be smaller, but it will still be there.

Mess around with the position of the point-light, and the colors.
Wink

Trying is the first step to success.
07-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Lighting is no doubt one of the most difficult things to do properly in the level editor, and can make or break immersion in your mod.

Box lights are meant to cover very large areas with a very dark light (for example, 0.05/0.05/0.05/0.05). They can be easily used to light entire levels. Every map should have a box light (no exceptions).

Point lights can be used one of two ways: 1. a small colorful/bright point light used to compliment the a light source such as a torch or window, or 2. a large dark light used to brighten a medium sized area.

Finally, spotlights. Spot lights are unique because they can cast shadows, and use gobos. Gobos simulate the effect of light passing through or reflecting off of various materials (i.e. windows, water). I've always found spot lights more tedious because they have a few extra settings. These can be the most effective if used properly.

The best tips I can give you are:

-make sure the alpha (A) value for point and spot lights is 0. This will help improve in game performance with little/no visual loss.

-Color values: A nice blue I tend to use (depending on the building set) is 0.3/0.4/0.7/0
For red: 0.5/0.3/0.07/0

Hope that helped!

I rate it 3 memes.
07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

Quote: Box lights are meant to cover very large areas with a very dark light
(for example, 0.05/0.05/0.05/0.05). They can be easily used to light
entire levels. Every map should have a box light (no exceptions).
Really disagree on the idea that every map should have a box-light. What would be unrealistic is that an underground facility somehow has light. Not nearly all of the original Amnesia maps have one.

Point lights are the ones that are easiest to use, and best to use. They are mostly realistic and can be easily managed.
Spotlights however are a tad bit harder to use, but can be very atmospheric. So with the combination of the two, and box light occasionally, you should be set to deliver the mood.
Try not to think "Point lights VS Spot lights" and instead try to use them whenever you feel the need. Variety is really the key to mapping!
On mansion-based maps with lots of light, there should indeed be a box light over the whole area though.

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
07-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Make sure your walls have a little spacing between them, look at the original maps (Ex: 11_study). If you look at the doors and walls, their is some spacing between them to give you playroom with the lights.
07-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Find