Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Outlast
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: IGN calls Outlast, "The next Amnesia"

What Nackidno said. I like Penumbra's atmosphere and story more than Amnesia, but Amnesia was much better in regards to gameplay mechanics (moving, looking, interaction, etc) and I felt more scared playing Amnesia than Penumbra. It's a mix between the two for me. They both have their pros and cons.
03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(03-27-2013, 03:40 AM)Statyk Wrote: It looks interesting but reminds me A LOT of a movie called Grave Encounters (a knock-off horror movie VERY similar to the TV series Ghost Adventures...) and it just seems really cliche. "Go into an abandoned asylum. Crazy patients trying to go after you." I admire the detail that went into it but graphics =/= gameplay. I would not call it the "next amnesia", but it does have similar qualities. It's just a shame it seems so cliche. Not to mention the music makes it feel more "action" packed like an Alien Movie than a horror game. Really wish they'd have different "monsters" than that as well... Humans aren't really scary. It's the unknown that's scary. Any horror-enthusiast knows this!

If it's cheap enough, I'd give it a shot, but in my opinion, it's not quite impressive enough to get me excited. Simply sticking "The next Amnesia" in there isn't enough to get me interested.

(03-27-2013, 08:45 PM)Statyk Wrote: What Nackidno said. I like Penumbra's atmosphere and story more than Amnesia, but Amnesia was much better in regards to gameplay mechanics (moving, looking, interaction, etc) and I felt more scared playing Amnesia than Penumbra. It's a mix between the two for me. They both have their pros and cons.

Exactly for both posts by Statyk. I couldn't agree more! Wink
03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Find
zaggnut Offline

Threads: 2

looks like this game is the result of some big wig corporation that saw the amnesia thing going on and tried to do what amnesia did... Then added on the "Hollywood Effect" in their trailer to hook in buyers. What i mean by the "Hollywood Effect" is that they put as much shock in the trailer to boost the hype.
but in doing so they just gave away the mystery of their monsters. Its a good thing they have great graphics though (for their trailer's sake).

IS anyone else seeing the signs of over-hyped game?

Amnesia forum > Outlast forum
War is at our doorsteps!

The human race will Bleed, they will serve my
need!
03-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

(03-27-2013, 10:56 PM)zaggnut Wrote: Amnesia forum > Outlast forum
War is at our doorsteps!

Attitude such as this shall see that there will not be progress, nor cooperation that is vital for the indie development that we all hold with love.

Competition is fine, hate is not.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
03-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(03-27-2013, 11:01 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote:

War is at our doorsteps!

Attitude such as this shall see that there will not be progress, nor cooperation that is vital for the indie development that we all hold with love.

Are you like

some monocle man or something

[Image: p229xcq]
03-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

I liked the music, really has the "Horror films of the 50's/60's" feel to it

(03-27-2013, 11:01 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote:
War is at our doorsteps!

This. People shouldn't jump the gun as soon as there is another horror game coming, it just makes you look like annoying fanboys. It's doesn't have to be one of the other, it's not Amnesia or Outlast, you can have both and live in harmony - if Amnesia can ever bring harmony to a mans heart.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 02:00 AM by GiggleBlizzard.)
03-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-27-2013, 05:55 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
Wooderso Wrote:At the end of the day, its just a marketing tactic.

That's a bit of a cynical way to put it. It could also very well just be IGN's way of saying they think the game looks cool, and they like it.

Even still, its a marketing tactic. And if I was part of IGN or some other company like them doing an article then i'd use an opener like it because its a good hook-line to get peoples attention.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

There's no war, just stupid people.

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
03-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-28-2013, 11:17 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 08:45 PM)Statyk Wrote: What Nackidno said. I like Penumbra's atmosphere and story more than Amnesia, but Amnesia was much better in regards to gameplay mechanics (moving, looking, interaction, etc) and I felt more scared playing Amnesia than Penumbra. It's a mix between the two for me. They both have their pros and cons.

I feel the atmosphere created through the story was superior but in terms of sound design atmosphere and level design was worse, and I have not been scared of monsters ever since I gained a rock, which I'm lethal with. That's a massive problem with Penumbra. I think penumbra thus far is incredibly well designed though, and the monster encounters, though the aspect of them being killable ruins it, are far superior to amnesia's encounters which were just jump scares.

Not sure I agree with that. Most of them were a surprise but that is not the same as a jump scare, in fact the first encounter in both Overture and Black Plague can be considered a "jump scare" going by that vague definition. Penumbra: Black Plague even has several actual jump scare, all of which are foreshadowed and don't end up fitting the general definition of "jump scare". Taking advantage of players not being ready for the encounters is an excellent way to make people nervous and therefore make the encounters more tense IMO. Throwing startling but harmless entities or events or worse yet images at players is the definition of jump scare: Cheap scares for a temporary effect.
03-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-29-2013, 12:04 AM)Robosprog Wrote:
(03-28-2013, 11:40 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-28-2013, 11:17 PM)Robosprog Wrote:

I feel the atmosphere created through the story was superior but in terms of sound design atmosphere and level design was worse, and I have not been scared of monsters ever since I gained a rock, which I'm lethal with. That's a massive problem with Penumbra. I think penumbra thus far is incredibly well designed though, and the monster encounters, though the aspect of them being killable ruins it, are far superior to amnesia's encounters which were just jump scares.

Not sure I agree with that. Most of them were a surprise but that is not the same as a jump scare, in fact the first encounter in both Overture and Black Plague can be considered a "jump scare" going by that vague definition. Penumbra: Black Plague even has several actual jump scare, all of which are foreshadowed and don't end up fitting the general definition of "jump scare". Taking advantage of players not being ready for the encounters is an excellent way to make people nervous and therefore make the encounters more tense IMO. Throwing startling but harmless entities or events or worse yet images at players is the definition of jump scare: Cheap scares for a temporary effect.

That is not the definition of a jump scare Bridge, a jump scare is simply a scare that comes by surprise. The cheap bit is an opinion. And yes, Amnesia's encounters are nearly all jumpscares, only ones that are not are ones where the monster is not actually present. I pick an item up, walk out of the door, grunt, Kitchen, I go in there do my thing, grunt, morgue, I do my thing, go to door BANG, brute, etc. That's all of amnesias encounters basically. Penumbras first encounter is a jumpscare yes, but afterwards they are all introduced well, whilst it is the reverse for amnesia. There is a lot of foreshadowing, yes, but that does not mean it is a jump scare. Most of amnesias encounters have no fore shadowing.
A jumpscare is simply what the name says it is. A scare sudden and powerfull enough to make you jump.
Examples of jumpscares in amnesia's encounters would be the brute in morgue,the iron maiden or when you open the door in storage and a gatherer is standing there.
Examples of encounters I dont count as jumpscares would be: the guest room, the brute in choir, or the chase sequence with the kaernk(probably misspelled that).

So neither of you is 100% right.
03-29-2013, 01:29 AM
Find