Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Old Games Freakin' Rock
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Old Games Freakin' Rock

- Dragon's Lair 3D
- Silent Hill Series
- Shade: Wrath Of Angels
12-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-29-2012, 03:10 AM)Kman Wrote: Yes, but realistic games have their own merits that can make them enjoyable. A lot of those realistic elements can add a new sense of strategy to the game. For example, when there's a gun limit you have to decide what guns would be best in certain situations, and based on how well you are at assessing both the pros and cons of each individual gun and how well you assessed the situation you're going into you'll either get through it easily or have a lot of trouble with it. When there's no health bar, you can never be sure if you have enough health to take on a certain enemy, which can make you think a lot more logically about how you're going to go about taking them on, where as if you had a health bar and you know you have full health you could just run in and mow them all down without worrying.

All it is is a different style of game, that doesn't necessarily make it bad though. There are some really shitty games that aren't realistic at all and some really great games that follow that realistic style of gameplay. They both have their own merits and I think it's narrow minded to assume either style is terrible by default (hence why I felt the need to write that rant).

Agreed, but my main point was: don't bog the game down with pointless realism just for the sake of being "realistic" (which is quite an annoying buzzword in the gaming industry). I appreciate attempts at making the physics, gun mechanics and sound design for example more realistic because these are, arguably, things that can be improved, but I think the games that favor this type of gameplay shy away from elements of fantasy or colorful level design that would otherwise be present. Believe me, I appreciate simulation games as much as the next guy, but I can only take so many before I want to play a legitimately interesting game.
12-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Thought I'd mention some new more unrealistic games in for the sake of the argument:

Bioshock Infinite (obviously)
Age of Decadence
Darksiders 2
Borderlands 2
GTA 5 (as far as I'm concerned, it will be like SA, which is crazy)
Project Eternity
Grim Dawn
The new Dungeon Keeper
Underrail
Double Fines new game

Just to name a few. So there are lots of new games that keep the old formula for semi/non-realistic and keep the design factor as main priority, you just gotta look harder. Smile It's like music, everyone says music sucks these days, the truth is: it doesn't, but the crap outshines the gold ironically enough, so dig some and you will find some really good games.

That said I want to contribute some to the thread. Anyone mentioned Dungeon Keeper? because that is some great games (escpecially the second one)

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012, 01:38 PM by eliasfrost.)
12-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(12-29-2012, 01:38 PM)nackidno Wrote: Thought I'd mention some new more unrealistic games in for the sake of the argument:

Age of Decadence
Darksiders 2
Borderlands 2
Project Eternity
Grim Dawn
The new Dungeon Keeper
Underrail
Double Fines new game

Just to name a few. So there are lots of new games that keep the old formula for semi/non-realistic and keep the design factor as main priority, you just gotta look harder. Smile It's like music, everyone says music sucks these days, the truth is: it doesn't, but the crap outshines the gold ironically enough, so dig some and you will find some really good games.

That said I want to contribute some to the thread. Anyone mentioned Dungeon Keeper? because that is some great games (escpecially the second one)

You obviously didn't read the THREAD. NO CURRENT GAMES.

If you want to make a current list of games you like or want to like, post it in a new thread. Change your list of games you like. If it isn't from 2006 or earlier we don't want to hear about it. Regardless if you think it holds true to the original (it doesn't).

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM by crisosphinx.)
12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(12-29-2012, 01:38 PM)nackidno Wrote: Thought I'd mention some new more unrealistic games in for the sake of the argument:

Age of Decadence
Darksiders 2
Borderlands 2
Project Eternity
Grim Dawn
The new Dungeon Keeper
Underrail
Double Fines new game

Oh, I never said the majority of games followed this trend, I was just playing devil's advocate to help explain dark side's perhaps extreme views on video games. The fact is, the realistic=good trend is on the rise and there are some people that fully support even the most unenjoyable gameplay and dull stories if special care is taken to make everything realistic, which I think is idiotic (almost as bad as classical purists that will listen to anything if it follows rules they deem proper).

(12-29-2012, 03:39 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:

Age of Decadence
Darksiders 2
Borderlands 2
Project Eternity
Grim Dawn
The new Dungeon Keeper
Underrail
Double Fines new game

You obviously didn't read the THREAD. NO CURRENT GAMES.

If you want to make a current list of games you like or want to like, post it in a new thread. Change your list of games you like. If it isn't from 2006 or earlier we don't want to hear about it. Regardless if you think it holds true to the original (it doesn't).

Calm down man. He was just posting those games to illustrate a point. This "argument" started with a post dark side made comparing old games to new. I think that's perfectly on topic, don't you?
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012, 03:48 PM by Bridge.)
12-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(12-29-2012, 03:46 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(12-29-2012, 01:38 PM)nackidno Wrote: Bioshock Infinite (obviously)
Age of Decadence
Darksiders 2
Borderlands 2
Project Eternity
Grim Dawn
The new Dungeon Keeper
Underrail
Double Fines new game

Oh, I never said the majority of games followed this trend, I was just playing devil's advocate to help explain dark side's perhaps extreme views on video games. The fact is, the realistic=good trend is on the rise and there are some people that fully support even the most unenjoyable gameplay and dull stories if special care is taken to make everything realistic, which I think is idiotic (almost as bad as classical purists that will listen to anything if it follows rules they deem proper).

Agreed. Bioshock Infinite (sorry to say to anyone who likes it), looks like shit. It's not following Bioshock. What the fuck? ABOVE GROUND?!

You couldn't even remember Double-Fine's new game (Double-Fine Adventure). Borderlands 2 looks interesting, but if you learned anything from the first game, it's like Bethesda games... Boring after the first 3 hours.

GTA V might actually be good, but from what little anyone has seen, you can't even put that on your list. That's like me saying, "You know that game in the future? You know? The one with guns, swords and people? YEAH! With that epic soon-to-be story?! FUCK YEAH! BEST. GAME. EVER".

(12-29-2012, 03:46 PM)Bridge Wrote: Calm down man. He was just posting those games to illustrate a point. This "argument" started with a post dark side made comparing old games to new. I think that's perfectly on topic, don't you?

I suppose you're right. I just didn't want a comparison of new games compared to older. Honestly, I wish to have only kept it at 2002 and earlier. 10 years for a game is old. 6 years, no.

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM by crisosphinx.)
12-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(12-29-2012, 03:51 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: You couldn't even remember Double-Fine's new game (Double-Fine Adventure). Borderlands 2 looks interesting, but if you learned anything from the first game, it's like Bethesda games... Boring after the first 3 hours.

Debatable, especially in the case of the Elder Scrolls series. I played Morrowind for 50-60 hours, Oblivion for around 500 and Skyrim for 15 (so far - barely getting started). I get it if you're not a fan, but that kind of sweeping statement is uncalled for IMO. There is enough history and entertainment in the series to fill 20 novels and I find the quests and dialogue to be among the best written in gaming. Plus, I could look at the beautiful landscapes for hours.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM by Bridge.)
12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(12-29-2012, 03:58 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(12-29-2012, 03:51 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: You couldn't even remember Double-Fine's new game (Double-Fine Adventure). Borderlands 2 looks interesting, but if you learned anything from the first game, it's like Bethesda games... Boring after the first 3 hours.

Debatable, especially in the case of the Elder Scrolls series. I played Morrowind for 50-60 hours, Oblivion for around 500 and Skyrim for 15 (so far - barely getting started). I get it if you're not a fan, but that kind of sweeping statement is uncalled for IMO. There is enough history and entertainment in the series to fill 20 novels and I find the quests and dialogue to be among the best written in gaming. Plus, I could look at the beautiful landscapes for hours.
Agreed. 60+ Hours in FO3, still not bored.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(12-29-2012, 03:58 PM)Bridge Wrote:

Debatable, especially in the case of the Elder Scrolls series. I played Morrowind for 50-60 hours, Oblivion for around 500 and Skyrim for 15 (so far - barely getting started). I get it if you're not a fan, but that kind of sweeping statement is uncalled for IMO. There is enough history and entertainment in the series to fill 20 novels and IMO the quests and dialogue are among the best written in gaming. Plus, I could look at the beautiful landscapes for hours.

Spoiler below!
Aye, forgive me, I played Morrowind for 100 hours, enough to beat the game, I never beat it. I got to max everything, found the best weapons, etc. I wasn't able to find the story. I gave up. I want to play it again, but after 10 hours of playing it, I was bored.

Oblivion, I could barely get through, I found the cinematic in the beginning amazing and was kinda sad they didn't take that type of thing further. Skyrim, I've had to take long breaks in between. After a while, I just get bored and nitpick the game map, because I see there's no AO, I see the bad mesh, that bad textures, etc. But if I'm looking from it, far away, it's fun. However, talking about Borderlands compared to Skyrim, or even Oblivion, it should be shunned in comparison.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas got boring quickly. Brink was terrible. Dishonored actually looks interesting.

Borderlands is funny, it has it's times, the story is neat, but overall, small story for such a large game. Most of the game is you doing quests in a wasteland where it's hard to navigate. The story is few and far in between. That's my beef with it, unless you just do the story and no quests like I did with Fallout 3 for the first play through (then I lost either way at the end).

Sorry for destroying this thread...

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM by crisosphinx.)
12-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I just have to say 3 games:

Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis (this is where ARMA comes from, from the old operation flashpoint)
Serious Sam
Painkiller

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Find