Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Amnesia should have CO-OP... ;P

This is the same thread. Nothing new started.
05-31-2011, 12:57 AM
Find
Redeemer Offline

Threads: 2

gandalf91 Wrote:^ Lol...I just made the point that having multiplayer in the game does not mean you HAVE to play it.
Ah. True, very true. But my friend, you have failed to regard the fact that any time spent developing a multiplayer portion of the game will rob a substantial amount of time and resources from the development of any singleplayer games. Basically, any time they spend working on the multiplayer will detract from the ultimate singleplayer experience, and if the multiplayer turns out poorly, valuable time and resources will be lost forever, and the game they eventually release will be (gasp) SUBPAR!

05-31-2011, 02:41 AM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

It was something like 'if done right', wasn't it?

05-31-2011, 03:16 AM
Website Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

Nope, I took that into consideration. I just don't think it would hog as many resources as the naysayers seem to think it would. Anyway, personally I was not too let down by no multiplayer nor would I have ever expected, but if it were there I might play it time to time.
05-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(02-10-2011, 05:34 PM)swedishTOASTER Wrote: I hoped maybe frictional games could make a mode for amnesia so u can play co-op campaign or custom story's or maybe a side co-op story.... All i want is to take my friend and make him buy the game and then play co-op with him Smile would have been really nice Big Grin.........Tongue

Get onto vent, the two of you start a new game on Amnesia on separate computers and go together through Amnesia

BOOM co-op
05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

Why is everyone so confident that co-op couldn't work?

If the game used in-game always-on voice chat, and you could only hear your partner at close proximity, but monsters could hear you too, and you had to split up very frequently with no communication at all and solve puzzles separately, and if one of you died, you both died and started the entire level over again, it would be amazing and still scary as hell.

Or there could be situations where one player would have to run out to distract the monsters and lead them away while the other has to use a machine or something. I know damn well I wouldn't want to be the one acting as bait.

Just because you can't imagine it working doesn't mean there is no way it could.
05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Find
Redeemer Offline

gandalf91 Wrote:Nope, I took that into consideration. I just don't think it would hog as many resources as the naysayers seem to think it would. Anyway, personally I was not too let down by no multiplayer nor would I have ever expected, but if it were there I might play it time to time.
If only you made games yourself, you'd know how silly a statement that is. Wink

Even if you don't write your own multiplayer engine (which Frictional most likely would do, adding to the pain), multiplayer is an extremely difficult area of game programming that involves careful planning, extensive testing, long development times, and a lot of resources (specifically hardware. it costs a lot of money to purchase, setup, and maintain just one professional grade dedicated server). I know, because I've done this all myself before and everyone I've ever talked to (and believe me, I know a lot of people who do this stuff) knows that implementing multiplayer into a game is not a small task and should be seriously weighed and considered before even undertaking it in the first place.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM by Redeemer.)
05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

(05-31-2011, 10:14 PM)Redeemer Wrote: Even if you don't write your own multiplayer engine (which Frictional most likely would do, adding to the pain), multiplayer is an extremely difficult area of game programming that involves careful planning, extensive testing, long development times, and a lot of resources (specifically hardware. it costs a lot of money to purchase, setup, and maintain just one professional grade dedicated server). I know, because I've done this all myself before and everyone I've ever talked to (and believe me, I know a lot of people who do this stuff) knows that implementing multiplayer into a game is not a small task and should be seriously weighed and considered before even undertaking it in the first place.

A dedicated server isn't even close to necessary for a simple 2 player co-op game. A simple user to user connection is far more than enough bandwidth to handle 2 users, especially in a non-action oriented game. I know it takes effort and resources to make multiplayer modes, but if they sold it as an add-on or even a separate standalone game, it would have its own separate budget, completely unrelated to that of the core game (which already exists).
05-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

What would the story of a co-op be? It would be difficult to canonically incorporate it into the current story. There haven't been escapees or the villagers would be up in arms instead of growing suspicious, and the Shadow has blocked off every door I've seen the moment Daniel was through. It's faintly possible that there's some means up from the prison outside of the elevator that was broken before and after the player used it, because of
Spoiler below!
the revenge ending. We learn he drank the amnesia potion and became immediately weak and passed out and came to at the beginning of the game, so there's no time then to help someone escape.

Would you want the multiplayer to be a wholly new story, uncanonical, or just gameplay without story?
05-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

(05-31-2011, 11:39 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: What would the story of a co-op be? It would be difficult to canonically incorporate it into the current story. There haven't been escapees or the villagers would be up in arms instead of growing suspicious, and the Shadow has blocked off every door I've seen the moment Daniel was through. It's faintly possible that there's some means up from the prison outside of the elevator that was broken before and after the player used it, because of
Spoiler below!
the revenge ending. We learn he drank the amnesia potion and became immediately weak and passed out and came to at the beginning of the game, so there's no time then to help someone escape.

Would you want the multiplayer to be a wholly new story, uncanonical, or just gameplay without story?

I'd prefer a whole new story, as there is no real reason to revisit the Amnesia storyline.
06-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Find