Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Weird and Wonderful World of Wikipedia
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
RE: The Weird and Wonderful World of Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

and this one is twisted as hell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2013, 07:55 PM by Deep One.)
05-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(05-25-2013, 07:50 PM)Deep One Wrote: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

and this one is twisted as hell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish

Added these. Can't believe I hadn't added Albert Fish before now.

Cheers Deep One.
05-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-25-2013, 07:48 PM)Paddy Wrote:
(05-25-2013, 07:03 PM)Bridge Wrote: Huh, the article says the video was never released. Where did these screenshots come from?

The video was never released but those images somehow got leaked.

(05-25-2013, 07:03 PM)Bridge Wrote: Also, for curiosity's sake how do you check past edits on posts? I didn't even know such a feature existed.

Nah there's no feature like that, I just happened to check the thread a few times over the last couple of hours and noticed your edits Wink

Ah, haha, kinda took a 180 there huh? I'm still on the fence about this whole case though. No idea whether he actually deserves punishment. I mean, it was consensual, but does that make him exempt? I mean, homicide laws are in place to protect people who don't want to be killed from being killed. If it was provably consensual, then should the sentence be just as strict? Food for thought.
05-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(05-25-2013, 08:00 PM)Bridge Wrote: Ah, haha, kinda took a 180 there huh? I'm still on the fence about this whole case though. No idea whether he actually deserves punishment. I mean, it was consensual, but does that make him exempt? I mean, homicide laws are in place to protect people who don't want to be killed from being killed. If it was provably consensual, then should the sentence be just as strict? Food for thought.

Haha I didn't think you did a 180 (at least not in a flip-flop kinda way), it's hard to know where to stand on something as bizarre as the Meiwes case; I agreed with what you wrote the first time and I still agreed with your latest edit even though it was a different position!

I think if someone wants to be killed and eaten - or wants to kill and eat someone - it's not unfair to assume they've got mental problems of one flavour or another. With that in mind I don't think the victim's consent was all that meaningful. That said, if we assume they were both sane enough to decide to do this crazy shit, I don't think the intoxication should be that big a deal; if he were sober, but had his penis cut off and was bleeding profusely and was thus unable to think rationally due to the blood loss and oxygen deprivation, he wouldn't be able to rationally say "actually I've changed my mind, stop!" any more than if he were blind drunk. So the question is, do you have to be completely conscious and rational right up until the very moment of death before it can be accepted as "consensual"?

One aspect of the case makes me more inclined to take the side of Armin's defence, and that's the fact of his having arranged a similar scenario with another man before this and that man changed his mind at the last minute and Armin accepted it and they went their separate ways. Try backing out of an eBay bid and you'll have a harder time than this guy had of backing out of his arrangement with Armin!
05-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

It is indeed complicated, mainly because this case has no precedent (that I know of anyway). Do you know if the video shows the moment of death? Because I think the only way to really prove whether it was consensual to the very end or not is through that video, and still as evidence it is complete garbage because not only was it taken by the perpetrator (opportunity to tamper with the evidence), it can also be interpreted both ways as you mentioned. Really, I don't even want to discuss the legality of this case anymore. On paper, the prosecution will always win. It wasn't self defense and it was clearly premeditated due to the fact that he freaking advertised it online (or in the paper? I forget). Worse yet, even if the victim was so depressed he wanted to die but couldn't bring himself to suicide, there are no medical records (at least I don't think there are) to prove any psychological disturbance or physical pain, so there is no way to prove it was euthanasia (not necessarily saying it was, just that if that was the case it's impossible to infer that from the evidence). So any way you look at it, it's murder cold and simple.

Anyway, what a case. I actually respect the guy to a very small degree for being so forthright about it and showing so much remorse for what he did. Not saying anyone should look up to him or anything, that kind of shit doesn't happen by accident; he is clearly disturbed. I'm just speechless, this is so weird. I think the Wikipedia article for consensual homicide sums it up best:

Quote:In 1996 a Maryland entrepreneur named Sharon Lopatka arranged for her own torture and strangulation over the Internet. In 2001 German Armin Meiwes was found to have murdered and cannibalized a willing victim he found over the internet. These two cases attracted considerable media attention. Beyond their lurid sexual details, both cases introduce paradoxes about the respective responsibility of the parties, the legal differences between consensual homicide and suicide.

Paradox indeed. I'm actually curious whether a provably sane victim who signs an affidavit confirming he wants to be killed with a notary public present can in some way be legally murdered. I'm sure it's close to impossible in most places, but should it? I'm not arguing the merits of homicide or anything, but it is a hole in the legal system.
05-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

+1 for the Guinea Pig movies.

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
05-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Don't know if this has been shared before, but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharoplasty

An eye-reshaping surgery.
Contains images that may upset you.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(05-29-2013, 04:58 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Don't know if this has been shared before, but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharoplasty

An eye-reshaping surgery.
Contains images that may upset you.

uuurrrghhhs Confused
06-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Found this

Genu Valgum - knock knee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genu_valgum

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
06-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(05-25-2013, 03:38 PM)Paddy Wrote: List of serial killers by number of victims | I can't believe this competition is still ongoing!

The funniest remains these revisions of the header of this page:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?titl...=526801114

* http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?titl...=529316780

* http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?titl...=533734590
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM by felixmole.)
06-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Find