Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
Ahiam94 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

This is probably the dumbest post on any forum ever.

I want a Flugelhorn!
09-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

You are just mad because game developers don't do as YOU say. It's their right to choose the sex of the protagonist. And if you want, you can freely start developing games with only female characters if you find that cool.
09-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Find
Tombcool Offline

It's not dumb at all... there is just a bunch angry men coming at me because they don't want a full-length survival horror game with a female protagonist.

I guarantee if Frictional Games made the next game with a female protagonist you would be pretty pissed.

Can a female please state her opinion on this?

And there are a lot of people that think the way I do. A lot of people would love a new female protagonist in a survival horror game.

I am just suggesting something, like any fan would do for a game in development.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM by Tombcool.)
09-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(09-11-2013, 08:49 AM)Tombcool Wrote: Frictional Games made five games, not one of them had a female protagonist.

Justine was female.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Website Find
Tombcool Offline

Justine is not even a full-length game.
09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Find
Sefam Offline

Threads: 0

(09-11-2013, 09:05 AM)Tombcool Wrote: It's not dumb at all... there is just a bunch angry men coming at me because they don't want a full-length survival horror game with a female protagonist.

I guarantee if Frictional Games made the next game with a female protagonist you would be pretty pissed.

And there are a lot of people that think the way I do. A lot of people would love a new female protagonist in a survival horror game.

I am just suggesting something, like any fan would do for a game in development.

So I need to be female to state my opinion now. That's cool. Keep using strawmen (Maybe I should call them strawwomen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man ) as arguments.
09-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(09-11-2013, 09:08 AM)Tombcool Wrote: Justine is not even a full-length game.

Doesn't have to be.

But i agree with you on the more female roles; after all, i prefer the back of females over males.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Website Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(09-11-2013, 09:05 AM)Tombcool Wrote: It's not dumb at all... there is just a bunch angry men coming at me because they don't want a full-length survival horror game with a female protagonist.

And now you started generalizing and flaming men. I personally don't have anything against female protagonists ( see Portals, both main characters are female and Portals are great games imo).
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM by Deep One.)
09-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

We have discussed this, multiple times. An easy answer would be that we are all boys, so making a game about a girl feels like a much larger undertaking for us and adds one more problem to solve on the pile of problems to solve. That is why for example when making a short game like Justine it was a good idea to try it out.

If it should be debated properly, then you have to go far outside the world of games and game developers. Back to the very root of our dear society look at what happens when babies are born, what roles boys get and what roles girls get. How this follows us all up through the ages and is rooted very deeply. There is an issue to solve, but thinking it can be solved in games is in my opinion addressing it too late in the chain of things to address in order to get more female protagonists in games (and females into game development).
09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Website Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

So, just for not having a female protagonist in one of their very few games, Frictional Games is sexist?

They might as well be racist since all of their protagonists are Caucasian. Oh Frictional Games, you discriminative lot!

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Find