Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Spoiler Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*

On a tangent. For a long time before the end I thought the big "twist" was going to be that the player was not Oswald, but rather one of the twins grown up and that the other twin was going to be the machine. The reason was I noticed that you were never called by anything other than "Mandus" throughout the game and not by first name. Oh well.
09-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

The final Chapter in the game is:
Edwin, Enoch, Oswald and I
The implication is clear.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-12-2013, 04:58 AM)Kein Wrote: The final Chapter in the game is:
Edwin, Enoch, Oswald and I
The implication is clear.

I am the Machine.

Spoiler below!
The game pulls off the 'The villain is you' twist much better than Bioshock Infinite.
09-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Find
APSS2013 Offline

Threads: 2

My synopsis of the guy in the coffin thing is that that is Oswald, his mind is split in two. (and body) therefore explaining why he thinks he is the machine, because he is. The coffin powers the machine when one's body is put in it, so it splits your body and mind in half.
09-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-12-2013, 05:02 AM)APSS2013 Wrote: My synopsis of the guy in the coffin thing is that that is Oswald, his mind is split in two. (and body) therefore explaining why he thinks he is the machine, because he is. The coffin powers the machine when one's body is put in it, so it splits your body and mind in half.

Okay, everyone's now latched onto this idea that you're somehow a disembodied ghost wandering around the world.

Why is it that the pigs hunt down and kill you?
09-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

If it wasn't a TCR I'd say it is a gameplay element that was made with small sacrifice of the consistency of the story. But that is not the case with Pigs.
I don't think it is a ghost. Not in the usual meaning.

A... clockwork soul? Do Pigmen have "clockwork souls"?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 05:13 AM by Kein.)
09-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Find
tickldkfiifo Offline

Threads: 1

I found the game pretty scary up until we see all the pigmen doing their own thing/in cages. The london scene didn't scare me at all. I was exploring until I got hit from behind by that pigman that is supposed to chase you. That didn't even startle me.

I played in the dark with very high sound/headphones.

I did enjoy the story, I am also curious if Mandus is related at all to Alexander. Will there be more amnesia games to uncover more of the world? I kind of like it when questions are not answered. Big Grin
09-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

(09-12-2013, 05:12 AM)tickldkfiifo Wrote: I found the game pretty scary up until we see all the pigmen doing their own thing/in cages. The london scene didn't scare me at all. I was exploring until I got hit from behind by that pigman that is supposed to chase you. That didn't even startle me.

I did enjoy the story, I am also curious if Mandus is related at all to Alexander. Will there be more amnesia games to uncover more of the world? I kind of like it when questions are not answered. Big Grin
Yeah, like I said I wish they had saved the Holding Pen area for near the end, as seeing them "humanized" removed some of the fear factor they had. This was never a case with Alexander's Gatherer's. Even Justine's suitors who were human didn't act like anything other than Gatherers.

It does seem like Mandus could be related to Alexander since there is apparently is a note where he mentions his "great uncle Alexander". Also the use of the Orbs and the Brannenburg solution and Vitae make it clear the connections do exist.
09-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Find
tickldkfiifo Offline

Threads: 1

(09-12-2013, 05:21 AM)Tobi Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 05:12 AM)tickldkfiifo Wrote: I found the game pretty scary up until we see all the pigmen doing their own thing/in cages. The london scene didn't scare me at all. I was exploring until I got hit from behind by that pigman that is supposed to chase you. That didn't even startle me.

Yeah, like I said I wish they had saved the Holding Pen area for near the end, as seeing them "humanized" removed some of the fear factor they had. This was never a case with Alexander's Gatherer's. Even Justine's suitors who were human didn't act like anything other than Gatherers.

It does seem like Mandus could be related to Alexander since there is apparently is a note where he mentions his "great uncle Alexander". Also the use of the Orbs and the Brannenburg solution and Vitae make it clear the connections do exist.

The connections really intrigue me! Also, another thing I forgot to mention is how much I actually liked the simple puzzles. I feel people were trying to compare it too much to the original Amnesia, and were disappointed by some of the multiple differences. Another thing was the lack of inventory system, I felt it added to the immersion by not having an inventory system and sanity meter. The lack of those things simply made it feel more real, and less of an actual game, which just added to the horror imo.

Does anyone else actually think Mandus was actually a pigman? His hands may have looked human, but I believe he was simply too insane to remember that he was one all along. Although that wouldn't explain why he seemed so different from the pigmen that were after us. But if anyone remembers, the antagonist (spoilers) was kind of like our split personality, and he ordered the pigmen to stop us. Which meant he could (we could*)communicate with them.

Overall pretty darn interesting! Wink
09-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Here, took me a while, but I found it:

Quote:Can a man construct himself anew? Can a man, on realising who he is, on what he has become, tear himself apart down to the bricks and begin again? Are our souls just this, tiny cogwheels and clockwork, and intricate machines to serve a function that, upon reflection, we might set to a new task? Can a man, defined by his actions, defined by that which he now finds abhorrent, set to sabotaging this body his machine, until those children of his soul turn in new motion, and he may awake to a new sun, a new year, a new century with hope in his heart? As I reach my hands to the exposed wires I ask myself this - is redemption possible for such a creature as I? And if not, then surely better to die amongst my creations than to continue to live as a monster.

Quote:So it is done. The saboteur was me, and the voice on the telephone was him. But what of us? How do we connect? Surely I cannot be responsible for all I see about me? I cannot remember, I cannot remember! All I can grasp is a moment when the world split into two pieces and the innards of humanity fell from an orifice torn agape into my open, bifurcated heart.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 05:49 AM by Kein.)
09-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Find