Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Human or Not?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Human
25.71%
9 25.71%
Not
74.29%
26 74.29%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is Alexander Human?
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
Is Alexander Human?

It's commonly assumed that Alexander is an alien disguised as a human, seeing as he originates from a different dimension, his portrait morphs when Daniel is 'insane', and he treats earthlings like inferior lifeforms. I, however, would say that he's actually just as human as Daniel, Agrippa and Mandus.

First off, Alexander wasn't naturally immortal. He requires the use of Vitae to extend his life, as well as that of Agrippa. It could be that his distorted portrait is actually a reflection of how old his 'true' body is and his immorality, rather than him being a literal monster wearing a human disguise.

Secondly, we see what is presumably his true self in the end-game, and he's decidedly humanoid. He may be imbued with dark magic, but from what we hear about Johann Weyer humans are also capable of using the Orbs to great effect. Even Daniel and Mandus were affected by the paranormal artifacts they discovered. In addition, Alexander proves to be just as vulnerable to the Shadow as any other human being.

We know that he comes from a bizarre dimension full of strange monsters, and it's also hinted that his civilization is far more advanced than ours. But that doesn't exclude the possibility that he's simply a human from a world where magical knowledge is much more present than ours. At most, he could be a humanoid alien like the Time Lords from Dr. Who. Why does he treat people like animals? Because his civilization is so advanced that we are to him what cavemen are to us. Do remember that he does refer to his own kind as 'mankind', and that he's still capable of relating to people - he felt betrayed by Agrippa when he allowed Weyer to 'steal' Alexander's chance of leaving earth, and he was disturbed by Daniel's corruption.

All of this is to say that it's not implausible for Alexander to marry random women over the years - he's still a human being, just an exceptionally nasty one. So is his nephew!
11-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Is Alexander Human?

I prefer the theory that he is, and the only reason he's orbing around is so that he can enter whatever dimension his lover disappeared into.

Reason being that it makes Amnesia's story more down-to-earth and reminds us that humans are very capable of committing terrible acts of atrocity.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 12:27 AM by Froge.)
11-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

I would say yes and no.

He may have the physical traits of a human, but the acts he must commit into return back to his world are inhumane or rather more unusual.

Regardless, I'll define him as a human, because people can do worse.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
11-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

I like to think he's not. Don't know why, I think it makes it more interesting that way.

If you read a bit about Agrippa, you find out that his hobbies included performing weird rituals and summoning spirits and demons and otherworld beings. Maybe it's his fault Alexander ended up on Earth. Maybe not. I don't know.
11-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

If I recall, Alexander was exiled for an undetermined reason. Perhaps he was too interested in earth affairs?

I suppose the ambiguity behind his true nature adds to the intrigue of the plot. He could be a demon in disguise, a human sorcerer from another world, or an alien wearing a man's skin. I made this thread, however, in response to people questioning the idea of Alex being human enough to marry and have great-nephews.

From what I understand, Al was able to pass himself off as multiple descendants. One of his memory capsules also hint that his apparent age remains static. If this is the case, it is odd that he remains an old man despite his attempt to remain immortal. Perhaps he only started using Vitae to keep himself alive once he realized he'd be on earth for a long time.
11-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(11-18-2013, 01:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: If I recall, Alexander was exiled for an undetermined reason. Perhaps he was too interested in earth affairs?

I suppose the ambiguity behind his true nature adds to the intrigue of the plot. He could be a demon in disguise, a human sorcerer from another world, or an alien wearing a man's skin. I made this thread, however, in response to people questioning the idea of Alex being human enough to marry and have great-nephews.

From what I understand, Al was able to pass himself off as multiple descendants. One of his memory capsules also hint that his apparent age remains static. If this is the case, it is odd that he remains an old man despite his attempt to remain immortal. Perhaps he only started using Vitae to keep himself alive once he realized he'd be on earth for a long time.

That's really my biggest hangup about calling him human, but I suppose he could have been accepted into this otherworldly society and did something that warranted his exile.
I guess you could say I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other, although Mandus' note about his 'great uncle' definitely makes for an interesting case about Alexander being human.

11-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

(11-18-2013, 03:51 AM)Abraxas Wrote: That's really my biggest hangup about calling him human, but I suppose he could have been accepted into this otherworldly society and did something that warranted his exile.
I guess you could say I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other, although Mandus' note about his 'great uncle' definitely makes for an interesting case about Alexander being human.

Keep in mind that 'human' doesn't necessarily mean he's from earth. It could be that humans exist in many worlds. Wink
11-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(11-18-2013, 05:51 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(11-18-2013, 03:51 AM)Abraxas Wrote: That's really my biggest hangup about calling him human, but I suppose he could have been accepted into this otherworldly society and did something that warranted his exile.

Keep in mind that 'human' doesn't necessarily mean he's from earth. It could be that humans exist in many worlds. Wink

True, but recall that, in one of the memory capsules, he implies that 'mankind' is basically nothing to whatever it is that he is. So there's at least a pretty major disconnect between one and the other. But I guess this could also be interpreted as a classist comment, too. Which is why I'm still hesitant to choose one way or another.
I think you should add a third 'Undecided' option for us uncommitted folk. XP

11-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Voted "Not", since the question is ">IS< Alexander human".
No, he is not anymore. But I bet he once was.

Trying is the first step to success.
11-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Find
Amnesia Gamer Offline

Threads: 1

In my opinion Alexander isn' t a human, but a ghost.

[Image: C1A63EC87DC0F3EF394264D7A9935357A482ED1B]
11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Find